unable to verify your activation for more then two months

[quote=“kewms”

Because users keep creating new threads. Or adding on to existing threads without reading previous posts. Or both.

Katherine[/quote]
C’mon Katherine, you’re supposed to follow us around with a Hoover (showing my English heritage) and clean up our messy, multiple threads . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have a massive concern about the trial mode not working at all once the validation fails. :frowning: Normally trials do not work when validations expire. They aren’t extended.

Losing work isn’t the real fear. NOT being able to work is.

Normal behavior is that the trial mode will work for whatever number of days were remaining when you purchased the program.

Our expectation, though, is that it will be a moot point because we’ll get the problem fixed first.

Katherine

The fact that your users are having a problem finding the answers to this problem is a failure on your part not theirs. As others have indicated you should be making a much greater effort to inform your users about this considering the magnitude of the problem. A lot of people make a living off of using your program and potentially losing access to it is a big deal.

I too have just started to have this problem and have just wasted the last 30+ minutes creating an account on this forum and reading through many posts looking to see if a solution has been posted. A simple message from you posted somewhere prominent would go a long way to making life easier for everyone.

Agreed, they are completely downplaying the issue. I received an email from tech support saying they’ve “seen a few similar reports” which led to the best laugh I’d had in months–considering it seems to be affecting the majority of Windows users. I cannot wait till they give all of us version 3 for free, because instead of spending time writing we’re combing through a forum trying to find a solution. A complete PR disaster for L&L.

I though that after Keith (the owner of LL) posted this in the latest blog post:

" I’d also like to apologise for the lack of communication - we should absolutely have posted this several days ago (…)."

I thought that they would become better in communicating things,

But that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Yes they could have been more communicative at times but What do you expect? There are multiple posts on the multitude of threads people have started stating they are working on it and will update.

You want them to fill the thread with endless hourly posts, ‘working on it still’?

As for the multiple threads, while it doesn’t impact me (seems it may not be ‘affecting the majority of Windows users’) when I first saw a post on the issue it took me all of 30 seconds looking on the forum to see yes there was an issue and yes they are working on it. The initially thread has remained near the top of the board consistently so the endless addition threads started on the same topic are a waste of space.

I’m on Windows 10 and have been seeing the “2 month blah blah blah” message sporadically. I just replaced the .exe file and reopened Scrivener. It worked just like it’s supposed to. If I see the message again, I’ll post again.

For non-techie people, basically copy your backups/change where you backup your files, then close Scrivener, download the file from the Dropbox link, open up File Explorer, click on “This PC” Then click on “Windows (C)” followed by Program Files (86x) OR Program Files. Scroll to the folder that says Scrivener, and copy/paste the file you downloaded into that folder. Scrivener should start working like normal again.

Well, as I stated earlier, an email would have been quite helpful. Or at least a blog post.

It’s not that they don’t communicate at all, it’s also about the quality level of their communication. And how easy it is to find the info. And how official something sounds.

LL can do what they want, of course. But better communication would make everything a lot easier, in my opinion.

Now, I’m scared. I got the critical update notice. I updated and now Scrivener won’t open at all. I was better off with the error message. At least I could still work.

What version of Windows are you on? This updated file is only meant as a temporary measure, so it is not digitally signed by L&L, so there are some security settings on Windows (and/or other security packages you may be running) that may keep it from running.

Here on my Windows 10 install, are a couple of things I would check:

1. Is SmartScreen interfering with the launch? SmartScreen is a system level service that checks the digital signatures on executable files. Depending on how it is configured, it may warn you that you’re launching an unsigned app, or simply block it. This is what the dialog looks like on my build of Windows 10:
    scriv-blocked-smartscreen.jpg

If this is what you’re seeing, click the More info link and you’ll see the following:

At that point, if you click Run Anyway, you should be able to launch Scrivener. Depending on your settings and Windows build, you may have to do this every time you launch Scrivener, at least until the new version of Scrivener that has the proper digital signature is downloaded.

1. Is the file blocked because it came from another computer? This is another security measure that Windows incorporated a few version ago. To work around this, simply find the Scrivener.exe file you downloaded, right-click, and select Properties. You should see this:
    scriv-runanyway-smartscreen.jpg

Simply click Unblock, then OK, and if this is the problem, Scrivener should now start when you click on it. You only need to do this once.

issued fixed on version 1.9.14.0 - 13 Sep 2019
thank you

You might have fixed it already, but just in case: Restarting my computer worked for me. I couldn’t open it at first either and restarting fixed the issue.

If you’re getting security warnings, make sure you’ve downloaded the full installer, available here:
scrivener.s3.amazonaws.com/Scriv … taller.exe

Unlike the interim test versions that have been posted, it’s signed with our developer certificate and should be less worrisome to Windows’ security.

Katherine

Restarting computer helped - should have done that before freaking out but you guys understand - right? Looks like I’m all good now, too. Thanks Scrivener for the fix and your patience.

ETA: Found my license and entered it and I’m all set!

I’m not sure if this is the same issue. I was just prompted to update for a critical fix. Now, when I (try to) open Scrivener (v1, to be clear), I get this:

I’ve restarted my PC. I checked my pinned applications and I had Scrivener.exe and Scrivener1.exe both in the Scrivener folder for v1 (which is just “Scrivener”). If I open Scrivener.exe, I get this:

I also have the beta for Scrivener 3 (just installed it over the weekend) at:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe
My original scrivener is at:
C:\Program Files\Scrivener3\Scrivener3.exe

I had (originally) tried to make the first one “Scrivener1”. Apparently, I made a copy of the Scrivener (v1) exe and renamed it to Scrivener1.exe. The first image above happened when I used the pinned Scrivener1.exe. I removed that duplicate application file and now, the original Scrivener.exe results in the second image.

I’m unable to duplicate the first image scenario. Now, I only get the 2nd image. I’m trying to find my license, since the look-up didn’t work…

Information about my system:
Win 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener 1-something (I can’t verify since it won’t open)

I’m working on edits, with a deadline, so I’ll be watching this thread for any advice since I can’t work on my edits without a fix.

Please help!

Anne

I insalled the “Vital” update hoping it would fix the last registry problem and now it won’t even let me type. It shuts right down. I am on a deadline and I have NO other way to open my book for final revisions. HELP!!!

I’m on Windows 10. I installed the update and when that didn’t work I followed the above directions and downloaded the Dropbox file, copied my backup elsewhere, then replaced my Scrivener.exe file that was downloaded. Same message. I’m FREAKING OUT!
scriv.JPG

The new installer released today supersedes all previous versions, including the upthread Dropbox link. Please reinstall that, and restart your system.

Do you still see the error?

Katherine

Sorry, Where do I get the new insallation? Is it from the main website or on this forum?

The new update, 1.9.0.14, is the latest and greatest and supercedes the single un-signed .exe file they put out last week, so applying that file against 1.9.0.14 is probably a step backwards.

However, the error message suggests that something else might be corrupted. I suggest that you need to completely uninstall Scrivener and reboot. Make sure that no copies of Scrivener show up at all in the Program and Features control panel applet (or the Applications list if you’re on Windows 10); if any are there, remove them.

Then after a clean reboot, re-download 1.9.0.14 and install it again as Admin. Unless you have some corrupted registry entries that aren’t getting cleared up, that should help.