unable to verify your activation for more then two months

We are in the process of “fixing it.” Thank you for your patience. – Katherine

Just a little hostile aren’t we?

You’ve looked at the forum, so presumably you’ve seen L&L have apologised and advised multiple times they are working on a fix, including posts a little before your pleasant and most helpful post.

I’m sure your most constructive post will spur the team to get it resolved just a little sooner.

Am I taking the p…? You betcha!

Just signed up for the forum to report the same thing. I haven’t used Scrivener for a week, then today it throws up this error every time it’s opened.

Windows 10, latest version of Scrivener.

Same here, signed up to this forum just to report the same error. I have tried replacing the exe file with the fix linked in the other thread, however it now says “Deactivate Scrivener (searching for license server)”, the same message others have experienced. Windows 10 Home Version 1903 Build 18362.356, .NET 4.8.3752.0 here.

I updated to the latest .NET so it got rid of the lengthy error message. That can be found on the microsoft.com website.
I still get the error message about the license deactivation which is the Paddle issue. Since others have asked about the Windows version we’re on, I’m posting here to say I’m on Windows 10.LICENSE DEACTIVATION.jpg

Literature and Latte, what I don’t quite understand:

Why didn’t you send us Windows users a simple email with the info that you’ve discovered that something is wrong with the licensing system? “Here is the error that a lot of users are getting, if you haven’t got it yet, you should expect it at some point. But don’t panic, yada yada, there’s enough time, just click on the window, etc.”

Or even just a blog post about it?

And no, I don’t think a forum is adequate for this kind of thing. There’s info scattered all over the place about it. And it’s too serious:

From another post: “I’m afraid I will lose all my work!”

You should really think about your communication strategy.

Hi, I am having the same issues, and have tried the solutions mentioned in this Forum. My worries are the same as many others - of losing hours and hours of valuable, irreplaceable work. Mind you, I could have 100 backups and still worry about losing all my work.
When can we expect a fix to this problem please? And where should we look for updates on this issue?

:frowning:

I’m a windows 10 user and I’ve had both issues starting today. The reactivation message and the activation server failure. Please could you email the windows community with a solution once you’ve got a fix - that would save checking this forum everyday which is a time drain when honestly I’d rather be writing. Best of luck with the fix - love Scrivener and understand hiccups happen. :smiley:

Maybe this will help the devs…

THANK YOU!

This is my exact feeling on this. The only solution I have found in the forums a. the download file isn’t working for me - just throws another error. and b. the additional instructions are vague and assume we have a certain technical knowledge for troubleshooting. I am a writer, not a software engineer, it’s not in my wheelhouse, nor should it be my responsibility to figure out a hack/workaround the software issues- that’s the product’s responsibility.

And yes the fact that y’all are not remotely communicating the issue, and even completely ignoring support tickets/emails is literally the worst possible way to be handling this :\

The only response I have gotten so far is a non-support person, so just a random commenter, who made a condescending, unproductive comment about “have I even read the forums”. :neutral_face: ug.

We’re getting an error threatening to lose all of our work - everyone here has a right to at least some sort of communication in that kind of circumstance.

You’re not getting an error threatening your work. The documents are/will still be there. It going into trial mode has zero impact on the project files.

Frustrating, yes, but L&L do seem to be working on it, though does seem to be dragging on.

I attempted to deactivate and reactivate, but it won’t let me. Seemingly for the same reason it is having the automatic reactivation issue in the first place.

That isn’t something that was clear or certain. I’m new to this product and have no idea what losing my license status would entail - that’s not at all an unfounded worry. The complete radio silence from the support department is not helpful/comforting :frowning: .

The support department and developers have repeatedly said, including in this thread, that we are aware of the problem and are working on it.

Since part of the code in question is coming from our licensing service, actually fixing it involves a fair amount of back and forth with their support team, which is part of the reason why we aren’t able to give a definitive date for an updated version.

As repeatedly noted, you are in no danger of losing your work. The program will revert to trial mode in the unlikely event that we haven’t fixed this in two months, but our trial is full-featured and lasts for 30 days of actual use. In the even more unlikely event that we still haven’t fixed it by then, it is possible to extract your work from a Scrivener project even with no access to Scrivener itself.

Thank you for your patience.

Katherine

It would be helpful if you would merge the half dozen or so threads on this topic, since official responses from L&L team members are scattered throughout the threads. I’m kind of tired of having to read all of them to find out if there’s any new information on this problem.

I’m afraid I’m less sanguine than you about how “unlikely” it is that you won’t be able to fix this in two more months. Given your track record on Windows coding time frames, I think I’ll take all my work out of Scrivener now, before I’m thrust back into trial mode.

All of the tools that are available to extract your work now will still be available in trial mode.

Your point about time frames is certainly understandable. The difference is that this is a very specific problem localized in a relatively small piece of code, not the development of significant new functionality.

The “official announcement” that the problem has been fixed will be the release of the updated version. You shouldn’t expect any new information before that happens.

Katherine

I agree. I just don’t understand why the company is dealing with the licensing problem in this way.

Because users keep creating new threads. Or adding on to existing threads without reading previous posts. Or both.

Katherine

[quote=“kewms”

Because users keep creating new threads. Or adding on to existing threads without reading previous posts. Or both.

Katherine[/quote]
C’mon Katherine, you’re supposed to follow us around with a Hoover (showing my English heritage) and clean up our messy, multiple threads . :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I have a massive concern about the trial mode not working at all once the validation fails. :frowning: Normally trials do not work when validations expire. They aren’t extended.

Losing work isn’t the real fear. NOT being able to work is.