A great program marred by critical flaws in core functionality.

You, obviously, have no idea what are you talking about. Scrivener, as lunk pointed out, is NOT a WYSIWYG editor, nor it is a page layout software. When you want to clean your windows, you don’t buy a hammer, right? It’s just the wrong tool for the job.

That being said, Scrivener is a superb organizational tool, the best on the market for writing novels. And believe me, I’ve tried them all.

Best,
M

We strongly encourage all users to take advantage of our extensive free trial before purchasing, for exactly the reasons demonstrated in this thread. We understand that not everyone wants to work in the way Scrivener is designed, and that’s okay.

The Windows Scrivener 3 beta can be downloaded here:
https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

I’m well aware of the differences between the Mac and Windows versions. It’s literally my job. Many of those differences will be resolved by the release of Windows Scrivener 3.

If you don’t want to evaluate beta software, that’s a completely legitimate position. But it does make your comments somewhat irrelevant, as they pertain to a product that is already being superseded.

If you’re going to complain about “critical flaws in core functionality,” it seems to me useful to understand what the core functionality is. Hence my suggestion of the Tutorial.

Katherine

I just got “reprimanded” for my loud laughing at 'not work related web browsing". It is comical the level of patience you must (and do) show on the forum. I’d have banned some folks a long time ago.

Thanks for the much needed lightening of my day.

Skimming helps. – Katherine

Any issues that people might have with the software can easily be found BEFORE spending any money on it, as the trial is full-featured and is for THIRTY FREAKING DAYS. If you can’t figure out in a month that the software doesn’t do what you want, that’s on you, and you alone.

I would add that Scrivener 1.9 can’t do a simple entire document word count or search.

I hope that’s sarcastic…

I just did both in 1.9. It was quite easy, actually.

Word count of the manuscript for my longest WIP. 103,927 words.

Word search for my hometown, being as that’s where said WIP is mostly set.

Click each photo to see it full size. I’m not sure why you think it’s not possible to do either, but as I just demonstrated it is.

Be fair though, software has special powers down in the ‘gong’. Perhaps he lives in a less fortunate place. 8)

Nope, no sarcasm. That was true before I gave up on Scrivener early 2019. I revisited this issue after I posted it and see it can now be done in full screen mode. However, back in 2018, this could NOT be done. I Contacted customer support at the time and the work around was exporting to Word then back to Scrivener; A rather ludicrous work around and something that should have been a basic function.

I haven’t used Scrivener since early 2019 because of issues (at the time) such as not being able to do a project word count, or highlighted word count or global search. I see now it can be done in full screen mode. But, what was really a problem was how Scrivener simply did not work well with Word. Most editors will make edit comments in Word. And, these comments do not transfer to Scrivener. As a result, most of the organizational advantages of Scrivener are lost in the time it took to make edits done in Word transferred to Scrivener.

I take a peak in every now and then hoping the illusive Windows version 3.0 is available. But, it’s becoming sort of like the unicorn. You would think that an almost 2 yr. wait would not be considered acceptable by Scrivener developers.

I don’t think Win version 1.9 has had any substantial updates since 2018. So what Kalidasa wrote should have been possible in 2018.

Hum…I started using the software in 2018. It was in then.

JMO further qualified the “failure” once it was pointed out that the function existed. It just wasn’t working in his exact (and unstated) use case.

To be fair, what program does work well with Word, if you please?

OneNote, and Excel work great.

That is by design. Scrivener is not a word processor. That is precisely why it is popular. It is a content creation tool, and formatting and processing is better done after export.

You’ll be better off using a word processor for your work. Scrivener will not bend to fit that particular way of working. It’s not intended to do that. Version 3 may do a bit more of it, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. That’s simply not the way Scrivener is built to work.

Well shure. They would. Millions of $$$ have no doubt been expended by a corporation with thousands of employees to make certain.

Well I for one am grateful to 7t for posting his or her thoughts here; he or she has saved me forking out for scrivener only to be frustrated by it. Having experienced a glitch with line break spacing during compiling using my free trial, these posts have helped me see that it’s not the right program for me. So while it might have been frustrating for them to spend their time posting here, and probably won’t see this comment, I’m saying a virtual thanks for helping me make up my mind not to switch to scrivener. I get now that it’s not supposed to be wysiwyg in the editor, but this page break and line break stuff would do my head in :slight_smile: Maybe I could have learned to live with it, but the extremely patronising replies from the admin made my mind up.
I’ll keep looking for an alternative to Word.

If you had asked the forum how to fix your problem you would probably have got the help you needed to fix it.
Good luck with some other app.

I just cannot get over the condescending attitude of both the users and Scrivener ‘people’ in this forum. Absolute bullshit and has completely turned me off using Scrivener. I don’t even care about v.3 anymore, or how good it may or not be. Users succinctly and eloquently voice there opinions or offer valid feedback and this is the treatment they get? No way. Uninstalling now and moving on. You should all learn how to communicate with customers and fellow users. Your pushing back against anything even slightly critical of the software shows me that your cult-like behaviour is really a little scary. Buh-bye.