License manager ended unexpectedly

I have installed the fix and so far it seems to be working. I will let you know if there are any unexpected changes. Thanks so much!

I’m sorry, but I think there’s still something not quite right with the altered exe.

I tried replacing the original exe with the altered exe again. I then rebooted. When I ran Scrivener, it opened right away. I was then able to scroll the text for a fraction of a second before Scrivener froze for around five seconds (perhaps a little longer). After that, it worked fine.

However, this happens EVERY time I run the altered exe file. I tried running it again, then rebooted and ran it, then rebooted and ran it again. Every time, Scrivener starts fine, works for a second and then freezes for around five seconds.

As soon as I replace the altered exe with the old one, Scrivener starts fine without freezing.

@Jakob Hero: Can you please run ScrivenerLog.bat as an Administrator. This will generate a log file within the “log” sub folder. Please, upload the log file or the console output. Thanks.
Do you compare startup speed with v1.9.9.0 or with v1.9.13.0?

I have also installed the fix and have not gotten the message at startup (for me it was popping up almost every time I opened the program, so this is already a welcome improvement). Additionally, start up was definitely faster with altered exe file than the original exe file.

Glad it works. Thank you for the feedback, rubbersoulster!

All these fixes read terribly complicated for me. Will there be an update that will keep my Scrivener running without losing data?

@ LFernand: Yes, there will be an official update on Monday most likely, without losing any work/data.

Yay! :smiley:

Phew!

@tiho_d

I’ve sent you a PM containing the log.

I compare startup speed with v. 1.9.13.0

Hi Tiho,

The new exe works for me. I am not getting the license warning any more, but the delay when opening happens every time I Start Scrivener. (the start screen will be white and unresponsive for ~10 seconds)

I’m on Windows 8.1 .Net version 4.8

Same problem today.

Thro the summer I used scriv only occas ionally including last week without any problems… Today my W10 -1903-64 bit box offered me a MS update of KB4511555 - which is a cumulative update for .NET 3.5 and 4.8 which I installed. So that update got the blame initially when Scrivener complained about .NET being out of date and activation manager unable to connect.

I was relieved to find this thread on the forum. I have downloaded the zip file from Dropbox and implemented the swap of scrivener.exe as advised by Tiho. Scrivener now starts ok with no nag boxes or complaints other than an initial warning from W10 about the origin of the exe file being unknown.

What was at the origin of this problem?

Hi All,

I managed to find further the startup delay experienced by only some of you.(Thank You, Jakob!)
A new Scrivener.exe is available in this archive:
dropbox.com/s/v6orz5b8aq4mt … r.zip?dl=0

Please, replace Scrivener.exe as before and let me know how it goes.

Do not worry about the Windows warning. The executable is not signed with the L&L signature and because of this your get a Windows warning. Once we release the official release over the next days, it will be all fine.

Thank You, Guys!
Tiho

Here’s the image I’m getting after I move the latest Scrivener.exe to Program Files (x86) and running Scrivener:

The license server is compromised.
[ snip ]
Scrivener will now be shut down. Please reinstall the application and purchase a valid license to continue using Scrivener.

Running the original Scrivener.exe, as well as yesterday’s, results a Trial Expired notice, and it asks for an email address and a license code.

I did not go so far as to do that.

I’m afraid I don’t really understand any of the technical stuff mentioned here as a solution so I really hope the upcoming update works as my Scrivener is now telling me my trial period has come to an end and I need to enter my licence number I’ve entered my licence number which I purchased in 2015 but it wouldn’t accept it Desperately crossing fingers here

In my case the program needs several starts and hangs at best several minutes before giving me control. And the new vrsion is even worse, I do not get control at all… I would appreciate it very much, if somebody from the technical staff would look into this problem, as I have to do an urgent final revision of my work of three years.

Okay, after a bit of experimenting, I’ve determined the following for Laptop #1:

Running today’s updated Scrivener.exe file shows me what I quoted in an earlier post.

If I run yesterday’s Scrivener_UPDATE1.exe, the programs asks for an email address and a serial number. Once that is entered, the program runs normally. I’ve closed and restarted numerous times to verify.

If I run the original Scrivener.exe v1.9x file, it behaves the same as yesterday’s updated Scrivener.exe, and runs normally.

I don’t know if that’s any help.

Hi again - tried your second fix, Tiho. Works fine but I can’t say the startup is perfect.

Initially, Scrivener starts up in a flash with the previous used project opened. But the formatting of the project is not correct and it takes a full 10 seconds of inactivity (in the visual sense - obviously something is going on in the background) before the project is ready to go, correctly formatted.

But, for me, that’s not a great problem.

Further to my last post, I have just looked in the drop down box under Help in Scrivener : the eighth entry which normally says “Deactivate Scrivener” now says “Deactivate Scrivener (Searching for License Server)” and it is grayed out.

So although I’m happily working as usual with no apparent problem, Scrivener is failing to connect to the License Server - wherever that might be. And I am using the second fix version just supplied today by Tiho. I’m on-line and working normally with no internet connection problems.

I’ve re-downloaded today’s Scrivener. exe file and copied it appropriately. It now runs accordingly.

Thanks for all the effort.

Hi,
Just tried out the fix on one of my Win10 Pro machines and it worked fine, no nag screen, no delays in startup to speak of. I will try later on my two other machines (they are in different location).
Thanx for the effort!