License manager ended unexpectedly

Hi
I’m on Win10 Home in the UK & I get this message every day when I first log in. If I log out & back in during the same day, I don’t get the message.

I get the same message every day. I’m using Windows 10.

Hi All,

We managed to pinpoint the problem. Before releasing it to public, I would like to ask you to test it first and report your results.

This is a Dropbox link to a Scrivener.zip archive file with the Scrivener.exe inside:
dropbox.com/s/v6orz5b8aq4mt … r.zip?dl=0

Please, close Scrivener, extract the archive contents and replace the Scrivener.exe file within your Scrivener installation folder with the file extracted from the archive.

Start Scrivener as usual. You should no longer receive the nag messages. We tested it internally and it worked, but would be thankful to verify it with a small group of users before we publish the official release to a wider audience. Looking forward for the results of your tests.

Thank You in advance!
Tiho

doesn’t work…

@Ange7: Can you please run ScrivenerLog.bat as Administrator. This will generate a log file within the “log” sub folder. Please, upload the log file or the console output. Thanks.

This is what I got back:

Cannot open project within the Scrivener installation folder.

Please, close Scrivener and move your project folder outside of the Scrivener installation folder. After moving the project you will be able to load the project as usual from its new location.

Project folder: “C:/Program Files (x86)/Scrivener/–log”
Scrivener folder: “C:/Program Files (x86)/Scrivener”

This is a totally different issue due to your project being in the Scrivener installation folder. Close Scrivener and follow the instructions and move your project to your Desktop or Documents folder for example.

…I do not have a project folder in my installation folder…the only thing I put in there was the Scrivener.exe…

Debug: “Sat Sep 7 10:55:55 2019” "
Scrivener

Application: Scrivener
Version: 1.9.13.0
Build: Release

Executable: Scrivener.exe
Compiler: MSVC.NET 1600
Qt-Compiled: 4.8.6
Qt-Runtime: 4.8.6
Windows Version: Unknown Windows Version
Created: Sep 4 2019 16:38:17
"
Debug: Runtime Location: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener”
Debug: Installed Location: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener”

Debug: Loading project: “C:/Users/ange7/Desktop/_ Backup.scriv”
Critical: QWin32PrintEngine::initialize: OpenPrinter failed (The printer name is invalid.)
Critical: QWin32PrintEngine::initialize: OpenPrinter failed (The printer name is invalid.)
Debug: Scrivener: loading document ID: 94 : “3”

1. I renamed my original Program Files (x86) / Scrivener.exe file to Scrivener_OLD.exe.

2. Copied the Scrivener.exe file from your extracted download to Program Files (x86) / Scrivener.

3. I’ve opened the x86 version multiple times with your new Scrivener.exe file.The program opens normally for me. The delay (10 seconds or so) in opening the program (the blank white screen) is gone for my system.

4. I can’t speak to the nag screen notices that others report. I had that happen only a couple of times.

Thank You, Twolane! This is comforting.
@Ange7: Please, start another thread, if you still experience the open project in installation folder issue. It is not related to this licensing problem and would like to avoid discussing it in this thread.

All right, installed and done on my second laptop as described above.

The first time I ran the newly replaced Scrivener.exe from a shortcut in the task bar on the second laptop, it stuttered with the blank opening for 10 seconds. I waited for it to execute fully, opened a project normally, and closed the program.

All subsequent openings of Scrivener v1.9 were normal on my second laptop. No delays. No white box for 10 seconds or so.

As stated above, I’ve not had nag screens more than a couple of times on my second laptop, either.

Good luck, and thanks for your efforts with everything else going on!

Thank you for the further update, Twolane! The initial delay upon first start is expected. It should not cause delays in the future.

My system is Windows 10 Pro, 64 bits

@babs: please, try my fix above.

OK, I’ve tried replacing the exe file as requested.

This is what happened:
First time I opened the program after replacing the exe file, Scrivener still hung as before. Second time it behaved… differently. I have described below.

BEFORE (with the unaltered exe file):

1. I open Scrivener.
  2. Scrivener hangs 5-10 seconds. The active document is showed, but only very few of the documents in the binder are showed. The menu (with the icons) are not showed. After 5-10 seconds they all appear and Scrivener works as usual. I’ve only had the nag message appear twice.

NOW (with the altered exe file):

1. I open Scrivener
  2. The program opens immediately. All files in the binder as well as the menu (with the icons) appear right away. BUT the program STILL hangs 5-10 seconds, this time only after the binder etc. have appeared. I’m not able to scroll or close the program during that period. After that, Scrivener works as usual.

To me, it would seem that the fix doesn’t work. It only moves the hang/freeze a bit.

ADDED:
It gets curiouser and curiouser, as Alice would say.

I did the following:

1. Deleted the altered exe file and replaced it with the unaltered exe file (the one that was hanging before the binder etc. appeared).
  2. Tried to run scrivener. It didn’t open.
  3. I rebooted the computer (Windows 10).
  4. I ran Scrivener. The program opens IMMEDIATELY (a hang time of perhaps ½-1 second).

This is with the old exe file, that was hanging before.

This is me thinking aloud: Could it be that the altered exe managed to connect to the license server, thus satisfying the “license checker” so this doesn’t make a mess when I then try to open Scrivener using the old exe file?

As I wrote above the hang upon first run is expected. Please, leave it running and do not kill Scrivener. The hang should disappear upon subsequent runs.
Yes, the new version connects to the license server successfully, but using back the old one will probably fail one more time in ~2 months. You can safely stay with the new exe until we release the official update.

ok, I tested the altered exe me too. I can’t say if it fixed the 2 months verification error (cause it happens occasionally) but it improved the hang time at start (and hopenfully freezing, I got one again just today before to test the new .exe)

First run, even with the new .exe. Scrivener hung 15-20 seconds before to resize at text scale choosen and become usable (with the “not responding” windows message meantime), next times it opens fast, in 2-3 second when the Scrivener window appears (even if the loading time, before showing the Scrivern window is slighter increased of 2-3 seconds. The app was still faster for me with 1.9.9 version)

my configuration: a intel-based notebook with Windows 10 Pro 1903, NET 4.8

Soon as possible, I will text the fix even with the secondary device I use to work with scrivener: an amd-based desktop with Windows 10 Home 1903

I have installed the fix and so far it seems to be working. I will let you know if there are any unexpected changes. Thanks so much!

I’m sorry, but I think there’s still something not quite right with the altered exe.

I tried replacing the original exe with the altered exe again. I then rebooted. When I ran Scrivener, it opened right away. I was then able to scroll the text for a fraction of a second before Scrivener froze for around five seconds (perhaps a little longer). After that, it worked fine.

However, this happens EVERY time I run the altered exe file. I tried running it again, then rebooted and ran it, then rebooted and ran it again. Every time, Scrivener starts fine, works for a second and then freezes for around five seconds.

As soon as I replace the altered exe with the old one, Scrivener starts fine without freezing.