unable to verify your activation for more then two months

I’m also having this problem. I’ve been going back and forth with a customer service rep for the past few days, but they haven’t figured out what’s up yet. I sent them a startup log today, so hopefully they’ll glean something from that and get back to me.

[EDIT] Just saw the developer post above mine. I think my issue probably falls into the category that’s meant to be fixed with the next update.

Just as an FYI - I have also experienced slow program loading the last little while and this morning received the “Activation Verification” message for the first time, which led me to this message board.
I’m glad to see that the problem is being looked into.

Such a relief to hear it isn’t just me. I’ve had the same error messages and it has just escalated to the License Manager Ended which was quite alarming! From this thread at least I can relax a little knowing that my work is safe even though it is all backed up anyway. Hope the update resolving this comes soon! Thanks

It happened to me for the first time today, It didn’t show a licence in the box and then reverted to trial mode. It took two attempts to re-activate. I also did the upgrade for the new licencing a couple of months ago. :cry:

Same thing here. Scrivener became unusable on my Win 7 laptop exactly when they switched over to Paddle–it’s always “not responding” even after several shutdown/reboot cycles. None of the updates have fixed it, and now I too am seeing the activation warning. I have made sure both Scrivener and Paddle.exe passed through the firewall (have even tried turning it off).

I really hope they fix the issue soon, and as I’ve stated elsewhere in this forum, they should be giving all Windows users a free upgrade to v3 when it comes out, because this continuing BS is ridiculous.

Scrivner.jpg

Couldn’t get in myself. Hasn’t happened as of yet on my iPad, but on my PC desktop, Windows 10, it wouldn’t let me in and I get the same message and shuts me out if I don’t choose trial. I just re-entered my serial number and it seems the bug is fixed. I closed down and reopened and it didn’t ask for it any longer. Seems okay for now.

iOS Scrivener should be completely immune, as should Mac OS Scrivener purchased via the Apple App Store. It’s a problem with our activation vendor, and the versions sold via Apple use a completely different scheme.

(Which is not to say we haven’t had problems with Apple’s licenses in the past! Just not this time.)

Katherine

Same here: I get the “2 months” message intermittently, other than that Scrivener is largely behaving itself as it has done since… god, how long has it been? I used to bug-hunt in the original Windows beta! And other than those bugs, which I was there to help hunt down, I haven’t had a single problem writing novel after novel.
(Incidentally, on the “intermittently” front, I think that so far it’s happened on the first load of Scrivener following a reboot or shutdown, and no other time. Seems like the bug is tracked already so I don’t suppose that’s very helpful, but hey.)

Basically, Scrivener’s been amazing and I’ve had no problems at all until now. I’m just worried that it will suddenly decide to revert to trial mode or begin to develop worse behaviour as some other users on this thread are seeing. Still… I’ve only been seeing this message for a week or so (presumably since two months after I installed the Paddle update), so there’s not exactly a big rush. I do have an option to deactivate this install, but looking at everyone else’s issues, I suspect trying to deactivate and reactivate would only leave me unable to use my license at all, so I’ll hold on for the update and see if that deals with it. But all my books are in Scrivener at this point! I’d feel utterly lost without it!

Thanks a lot, Katherine, for the responses and updates. :slight_smile:

I, also, got both the messages mentioned today for the first time. It could just be the two months thing…or could it be the recent feature update to Win 10 which updated .Net to version 4.8? Perhaps Scrivener is not playing well with that version.

Either way I’d hate to lose the use of Scrivener so I hope this gets resolved before it reverts to a trial version. Right now the messages are just annoying.

Is there anyway to tell if the activation HAS been successful? Looking at ABOUT in help lets me see a choice that says “Deactivate Scrivener” that would imply it’s successfully activated, right? But some way to actually get verification that the activation has been successful would be nice. It seems that just the absence of a message to the contrary is not proof of that.

Same issues with Scapple…

I just installed the latest Windows update a few days ago because I’m too deep into my latest novel to try the Beta version of 3… and then this same verification failure pop-up starts coming every day. Why? I’ve been a Scrivener user for years. I’ve paid for multiple licenses even when I didn’t need to because it was affordable but I don’t want to be harassed about not being able to open my program and get to my novels if this issue isn’t resolved in some arbitrary two-month deadline. I don’t have my serial number written down anymore because it’s been years. Do I have to re-register with updates now or is this just a glitch in the last update? I’ve never had to re-activate my license before.

Guys, can you please report the Windows version you are using. Are you all using Windows 7?

I’m on Windows 10, without the very latest update, so I’m running .NET Framework 4.7.2.

I’ve gotten the 2 month warning twice now, a few days apart.

@Jakob: Thanks for the update Jakob! Does it mean that you receive the error occasionally, or you receive it every time you start Scrivener.

yesterday got 2 times the “two months” message (despite running Scrivener as administrator seemed fix, for me, the issue and related freezing at startup, days ago), just the message anyway, not freeze, like a nag screen. I use Scrivener very often and I open the program more times every day, so the error frequency is occasional.
If useful for you, my configuration is: Windows 10 Pro 1903 - Net Version 4.8.03752

I get the message the first time I log in for the day. If I close Scrivener and restart it I do not get that message but it becomes not responding where I can’t use it and must force close it.

I am using Window 10 Home, up to date
Scrivener is up to date
I am in Florida

I also have Scrivener on another computer with Windows 10 but I rarely use that one so I don’t know if it would give the message or not.

I’m having two problems with Scrivener - one seems to be an issue that’s already reported, which is the problem with the license manager as follows:

I am running Windows 8.1 with .NET version 4.8 for Windows 8.1 x64.

This generally happens every time I use Scrivener, sometimes a few minutes after I open it, sometimes after an hour or two. I can usually keep using Scrivener after I dismiss the message.

The second and more worrying of my issues that Scrivener will randomly freeze, and a pop-up box will appear titled “Project Writer” - but because the software has frozen, the actual error message inside the pop-up box never materialises, so I have no idea what the issue is. When this happens, I am forced to shut Scrivener down because it has become unresponsive, and if it has not auto-saved my work immediately before the crash, I lost the work I’ve done since the last save point.

The way I usually run Scrivener is that my project documents are stored on my PC, which is part of a Windows homegroup with my laptop. I do most of my writing on my laptop, accessing the original file on my PC through the file browser and the homegroup network.

I definitely get the error with the licensing manager regardless of whether I access my project on my PC directly, or on my laptop via the homegroup. However, I don’t know whether I get the random freeze/crash error when accessing the files directly on my PC, because I haven’t had chance to test it yet. Both machines are running the same version of Windows with the same fixes and updates, and the same v. of .NET software.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (current on all updates)
.Net version 4.8 Full

Scrapple: happens every time I open it
Scrivener: happens, but not nearly as often as Scapple

I’m having this pop up as well and it’s stressing me out. I’m in the middle of writing a couple novels! :frowning: Can’t figure out how to fix it and was hoping a solution was here…

Win 10 Home - Fully up to date.
Scrivener- Up to date

Sorry for the troubles guys. We are working hard trying to pinpoint the issue and will release an update as soon as we are confident with the fix. Scrivener should not block your work at the moment, but unfortunately will nag you until we upload an update. If Scrivener freezes upon startup, please do not kill it. Within 15-20 seconds it should recover itself. If you wait for more than 60 seconds, feel free to kill it.

@The Urban Spaceman: The “Project Writer” freeze is most likely caused by remote drives connected to your computer. If you access your project remotely via a network drive map and not directly on your computer, this is most likely the cause of the delay and freeze upon save.