Release on Aug 30 confirmed?

I still see a lot of bug reports. It looks like the scheduled day will be postponed. I do hope to be wrong.
Any news?

There is no scheduled release date, at least not one that has been made known to the user community. The co-developer of Scrivener for Windows made a personal commitment to having ScrivW3 ready for release on 8/30. That does not imply a release is scheduled by L&L for that date, as documentation, tutorial and translations might still be incomplete. In fact one could argue that Lee was committing to a Release Candidate by that date, and that the development team has fulfilled that commitment, A[n] RC means it’s last call for bug fixes, and that we beta testers should not keep our counsel on anomalies that are natural to a work in progress, but should point them out as bugs, unsparingly and forthwith.

A generous interpretation? Perhaps. But L&L have gone out on a limb for Windows users, with nearly two years of free public betas. And it’s back-to-school season, a prime window for sales. They have more at stake than we do as users. We’ve been getting their best as it becomes available, whatever the label on the package.

Cheers – Jerome

I don’t know what you are talking about, but this is, in fact, the fourth sentence in the last beta 21 release notes.
So, let’s agree to disagree here. If this is not a real date, they should stop throw any target dates around since this annoys users.

Regards,
M

You’re right; MM did post that, and thanks for the reminder. Of course a target release date isn’t a scheduled release date. Some folks are going to be annoyed at a missed target, others prefer having a realistic ETA, even if it doesn’t prove to be the ATA.

There is a subtle difference, I admit, but it’s not a coincidence we see so many questions of this sort posted in the form.

I, personally, don’t care too much about when the next version will come out. I’m perfectly happy with 1.9. At the same time, I think, it’s a good strategy not to release any dates until the product is ready to be released.

Most of the times, IMHO, 'We are working on it, and it will be ready when it’s ready,’ is a much better message than moving forward the release dates every few months in the last two years.

But maybe that’s just me. :mrgreen:

As a final thought: I don’t understand the people continually asking for an oficcial final release. It may be official, but it’s not going to be final. The devs will continue to work on it and release new incremental versions, fixing bugs, and I hope, adding new features. This oficcial final release is not going to be suddenly substantially more stable or future rich than the latest beta. It will be an incremental step, nothing more.
Meanwhile, we’re provided with a free version to use as we please. So, I fail to see the reason behind that rashness.

Regards,
M

I cannot be happy with the beta. It might not be safe and, maybe, I could lose something important. That’s why, even if I would like, I have not installed it and I will not. However, this is slowing down my activity since, while I am waiting, I do not start anything really important for me.
An official release date should be given, and respected.

…and it is obviously L&L that is responsible for this. It is just beautiful.

‘An official release date should be given, and respected’.

So you’d prefer L&L give you a firm date and release the software even if it’s not ready for prime time? L&L don’t use paying customers as Beta testers, unlike one or two others out there in the past.

Development of a complex program such as Scrivener is not something where you assign a certain number of days. If you don’t want to release half ready software and all the customer angst, you release it when it is ready and not before.

L&L have consistently said ‘when it’s ready’ They have said several times they had a target approximate time frame but have stuck to the when it’s ready mantra.

The beta as very solid and has minimal risk while the old 1.9 is rock solid with no risk.

‘An official release date should be given, and respected’.

So you’d prefer L&L give you a firm date and release the software even if it’s not ready for prime time? L&L don’t use paying customers as Beta testers, unlike one or two others out there in the past.

Development of a complex program such as Scrivener is not something where you assign a certain number of days. If you don’t want to release half ready software and all the customer angst, you release it when it is ready and not before.

L&L have consistently said ‘when it’s ready’ They have said several times they had a target approximate time frame but have stuck to the when it’s ready mantra.

The beta as very solid and has minimal risk while the old 1.9 is rock solid with no risk.

I am using the beta for production work (with ample backups) so if you want to write, there’s ample reason to jump on board with the beta.

Seriously? You’ve stopped using version 1.9, a perfectly good and productive product. You’re not producing anything. You’ve halted your writing. Your ideas have come to a halt as well. You’re incapable of producing new product. You’re waiting for the final version of Scriv 3 to produce?

Huh.

I have used Scriv 1.whatever since 2011. I changed that when Beta 7 came out. I’ve been using the beta ever since. I can’t count the product I’ve produced, edited, loaded into Word, and uploaded to the many ebook sites available to me.

Of course, your mileage may vary, obviously.

Good luck with your writing.

Oh! The drama of the whole situation! Will they? Or Won’t they?

Taking a piece of software and labeling it “Official Release” has absolutely no impact on the functionality of that code. And conversely, a piece of software is not rendered less reliable by being labeled “Beta.”

Katherine

Well, are you meaning that your release comes without any warranty and we’ll use it at our own risk? :smiley:

As is the case with most software. literatureandlatte.com/downl … indows.pdf

But what I actually meant was that you should care about the behavior of the software, not whether a particular word is applied on a particular date. If the software is not ready for release on August 30, it’s not in your best interest (or ours) to insist that we adhere to that date anyway.

Katherine

Katherine is completely correct.
You can lose something important with a beta, but that is exactly the same as any officially released software, including Windows and macOS. You have to make your own judgements about any piece of software. And your own arrangements for safeguarding your data.

As far as I am aware there have been no issues regarding the safety of the data in Scrivener 3, beta or no beta.
And you would be wise to have comprehensive backups even when there is the official release.
Just as you should with any piece of software.

You’re not wrong. They’re missing the promised release date. Raise your hand if you’re surprised. :unamused:

From the Beta 22 release notes;

It’s great Lee feels accountable, but what are the consequences for missing yet another target by a “few more weeks”? None that I can see, so who cares if he takes responsibility?

I’m done. Maybe I’ll check back next year and see if anything has changed.

Such an amount of venting opinion deserves at least one more comment on realities than Katherine’s or indeed Lee’s.

Here’s that reality: Today’s software is complicated

It’s much more so than in years past. Even (or especially) the ideas of ‘correct’ get more complicated – and more varied, and indeed never may be completely closed…

Thus development becomes a loop. You get something out there that works, and then you improve it.

This is the way the more forward-looking software operations across the world do it, and not less by days, but more.

Scrivener certainly qualifies as complicated software. It has indeed, very complicated tasks.

It serves the realities of these tasks, already, very well.

The problem here is in language – which should be our forté in these parts, no?

That language circles around the word Release.

I don’t know what might satisfactorily move Scrivener better into expressing the world it lives in; that’s up to Keith, as he will tell you, and his quite devoted and intelligent team.

• I could say that much complex software, such as CMS systems (which pretty much relate to Scrivener) use many point releases – in fact on a calibrated system where the number is broken by decimal points, and each range indicates what kind of changes to expect.
    = Big numbers, as 2, 3 etc, so-called breaking changes; the software works differently in part.
    = Next decimal, as 3.2, it changes, adds features, doesn’t break anything already there.
    =And so forth.
    = when feedback says a point release may not live up to its number, you get another quick release (number incremented) that does.
    = this works, by the way.

• Another that I 've seen and liked actually is the wonderful Markdown composing editor Typora. It kind of uses these numbers, but just goes on and on releasing, feature by feature added, at any minor or major level. This also works, for its scale.

So. My closing would be that we should just respect Lee, Tiho, AmberV, and anyone else who works so stalwartly to bring us the Scrivener software which does work.

For writing, yes?? Regardless of what number you think it is.

Details, we can keep helping them achieve. Also, yes.

We can do that best, I would feel, thus venture, by the respect that better awareness gives.
Clive

So it’s a couple more weeks, no biggie.

Kudos to the team for not caving to pressure to release 30 Aug come what may.

The list of improvements on .22 is impressive and gives a solid impression we are so close to a rock solid release.

As for question about ‘consequences’. What do you want, a ceremonial flogging, firing squad and blindfolds at dawn?

Chill!

I’m with Astaff on this.

Blindfolds at dawn! A healthy drawing and quartering! A ceremonial flogging? No way. It’s to be a severe flogging or nothing. A day spent in La Tomatina for all of them!

Oh. Wait just a minute. I’m on the side of Astaff and L&L. Sorry for the confusion. Please excuse my enthusiasm for a good drawing and quartering.
:smiley: