Old Linux version vs current Windows version under Wine

Hi,

I currently run Scrivener under Linux Mint. I’ve heard folks are running a current Windows version with the aid of Wine.

My question is, what features am I missing by not running the current Windows version? Just wondering if it might be worth all the tinkering to get it running with Wine.

Surely someone has tried both.

Thanks!

The Linux version is essentially Windows v.1.0 or thereabouts, so a lot has been improved since. Although I’m a Mac-user, until recently, I have also run the Windows version under Crossover, a GUI version of WINE, as I collaborate with a Windows-using colleague and needed to have the same version as her to provide help and check—I now have a Windows box as a test-bed, so I no longer need Crossover.

We’ve been using the version 3 betas since before Beta 10 without problem.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1

So, the stable version runs perfectly well under WINE, and the v. 3 BETAs do too. The team have said they hope to get v. 3 out commercially by the end of August, though there are still bugs and issues being sorted out … v. 3 has many enhancements. So, in your position, I would try running the Beta under WINE on a non-vital test project, and if you’re happy with that the migrate your current project. If you’re BETA-adverse, I’d continue as you are until v. 3 is fully out.

That said, there’s another issue: v. 3 will not be able to open your Linux project as the file format has changed too much since then. I think there are three solutions:

1. Install the stable version under WINE and see if that will open it; when you then save it, v. 3 will be able to open it;
  2. open the Linux project and a new v. 3 project side by side, and drag all the documents into the v. 3 project;
  3. Compile your Linux version to rtf/doc, and then import that into your new project, though the downside of that is that you will have to re-enter any keywords and other metadata again as they will not be transferred.

You have a 30-day trial period on the stable version, though if you end up purchasing it, the upgrade to v. 3 will be free. The v. 3 BETA is free, but will have to be purchased when it becomes available.

But good luck. And maybe other Linux+WINE users (@garpu? :slight_smile:) will be along to help.

:slight_smile:

Mark

1 edit to correct list!

I haven’t had a problem with the new version converting (and backing up) old projects. :slight_smile:

One gotcha is that it doesn’t fully exit, so you might have to clean up running WINE processes after closing Scrivener. I start from command line, that way I can kill it on the command line after. (ctrl-C, usually twice, then lsof | egrep “wine” will find any stray processes.)

The other gotcha is that with the change from eSellerate to Puddle, it needs dotnet45 to work, if you want to register it on the 1.9 tree. I’m not sure how this will work with 64-bit Scrivener, since dotnet45 and 64-bit wineprefixes can be dicey. I think registering the 32-bit version, then installing the 64-bit one on top of it (or have both installed, register the 32-bit one) should work. But I"m not sure yet, because I don’t think the code is in there to register 2.9.x Scrivener. The codebases are very similar, so I wouldn’t be shocked if it works the same way.

Literature and Latte are pretty WINE-friendly, so I’m sure there will be something to work with when the time comes. :slight_smile:

All good to know! Thank you!

I’ll be giving Wine + Scrivener a good test as soon as I get a bit of time to fiddle with the installation.

The latest version, v1.9.12 (I think I have that right) fails to recognise my licence code, and a program called paddle.exe crashes under Wine. Which means I shouldn’t have done the upgrade, since I am now being told my trial has expired, and so all my Scrivener files are inaccessible.

It looks as if this much-vaunted Paddle system for payment and licensing doesn’t work under Wine.

Updating: v1.9.9 did load successfully under Wine, and the Licence activation worked. What were the differences?

1: The working system used Esellerate

2: It requested the “Serial Number Name”, not an email address.

And it all just worked, no problems.

I would suggest that you do not upgrade Scrivener under Wine if you have a working version.

My purchase was in 2012. It looks as though the Paddle system uses a different ID style, Email address rather than a name. I can confirm I am using the same email address as I was then, which is, frankly, a bit unusual.

The Paddle system does not appear to have correct personal information for me.

Yeah, it now requires dotnet45. (winetricks will install it and work around a few issues.) It just needs an email, I think, not just the one you used to get the serial originally.

Sorry, but I am very wary of this. WineHQ is a bit cautious about Winetricks, more or less saying that if you use it, you’re on your own. And, since I have a working version of Scrivener under Wine and the v1.9.12 breaks things so thoroughly, I shall note your solution, but I have a special bargepole to not touch these things with.

Scrivener needs to check in with the licensing manager from time to time. If you stay on 1.9.9, be aware that the move to 1.9.10/1.9.12 was because the old licensing manager closed up shop and will shortly no longer be responding on the Internet (if it is at all). You thus run the risk of 1.9.9 becoming unusable because it can’t contact the licensing manager.

Others have reported that the Paddle licensing manager in 1.9.10 and beyond works fine under Wine once you install .NET Framework 4.5 or later. As long as you can find a supported way of doing that within WINE, you should be able to get Scrivener 1.9.12 working again for you.

That is when doing bug reports. Winetricks is standard for WINE, and it’s baked into certain implementations and distros. And honestly? Literature and Latte is pretty gracious when it comes to support and WINE. You’re on your own, anyway, if you choose to run a program via WINE.

There are a lot of rather contradictory reports of how to install dotnet45. I had to set up Wine to emulate 32-bit Windows 7 before that could be installed. I don’t know why it needed to be 32-bit, but the process started with dotnet20 and then a long chain of upgrades.

I also made sure that paddle.exe was installed, not just sitting in the same folder

It still seems daft that the new system wants an email address for the old licence codes, which were supplied with a different label. The change date seems to be 26th June 2019, and if Garpu is right about any email address working for licences issued before that date, it looks like very dismal security.

My guess is that’s how Paddle ties their licenses with users in their database, so L&L has no choice but to re-issue them that way. It’s a hassle, yes, but at least it should be a one-time hassle.