Misunderstanding over cloud features

To geoffstrout: I understand your anguish. I have felt the same.

I started using Scrivener 2.4 (?) in earnest on Mac in May 2014. It worked, but the forced sync to then far more insecure Dropbox (by European standards) was never my thing. The shenanigans of the NSA didn’t help, and since then you’ve got “Ol’ Twitter Hand” making the world unsafe by short term twit.

The version was usable as a stand alone solution, though, at that time and period. Since then my standard environment has become multi platform and autosynced plus conforming to the European GDPR rules, where required. Whether the occupant twit in the White House decides to… ahem… or not :wink:

I tested the Windows 1.x version (several times over the years), since I really needed a cross platform working experience. It was no joy, so I did never license that one.

I stopped using Scrivener for serious use in 2015, and completely around late 2016 (I cannot find any newer scriv-files in long term storage). The software is not present on any of my platforms today at this moment.

When version 3.x was released for the Mac, and still only supported Dropbox sync, I decided to wait for the rumored Windows 3.0 version, before contemplating a return. Years went by, and I did not see any reason to base one of my platforms on beta (or worse) quality software. As a retired developer (secure highly distributed software and data solutions) I’m not enamored by any “coming (real) soon” messages. Even when writing fiction, I tend to prefer software, that is not.

When the iOS version was released two years ago, I decided to give it a try. I was not enthused. It didn’t grow significantly on me, when the 1.1.x versions were released more than a year ago. The requirement to use Dropbox for any reliable sync did not a viable solution make. Out it went. Removed from two iPads and two iPhones and I have never looked back. Last version was released more than a year ago fixing iOS 11 compatibility problems.

I have no illusions on seeing any version for the soon to be released ipadOS 13 - at least not with anything resembling significant support of the new or even existing iOS 12 features.

Once every six months or so I return to see, if Scrivener has grown up to be a real multi platform product. In my eyes!

A lot of the commenters seem to be of the conviction, that since they can tolerate their “wifes”, warts and all, others should of course do the same. And waddajunow - this is not universally agreed.

I for one has given up on Scrivener. The Windows version is at best in an unfinished beta stage, the iOS version is not really usable for my purpose, leaving only the current Mac version as a potential isolated, single platform solution.

That’s a too limited, too insecure prospect for future use as my main platform.

In the mean time I’ve also grown to like the use of several more specialized multi-platform tools combining to a larger whole, allowing me to work directly on many platforms (SMB, WEBDAV etc on gigabit, LTE or 150/150 megabit/s fiber into my home) including allowing background sync of any and all elements in any project in a secure way to virtually any platform available. Especially where data security is a concern, which makes storage in any US based or owned company adhering to US laws a no-go scenario (Dropbox or not).

Should one “tool-maker” go out of business (by executive order or otherwise :wink:, all of mine have alternatives, that are very similar in price and quality. Modern multi platform tools, with on the fly data availability on Mac, PC, iPad and smartphone. If I decide to start work in a chair in the sun on my balcony on my iPad it’s no problem to continue a second or so later on my Mac - or PC just on the other side of the wall/window/door. Exactly where I left work on my iPad. Whether alternatively sync-shared locally to my NAS or a highly secure remote platform store within Europe (also the owners).

I guess I’m finally saying goodbye to the illusion of ever using Scrivener on multiple platforms in a modern way (all platforms working in unison as one integrated system).

I’m retired, and I’m no longer inclined to wait for fancy solutions designed to yesterdays use cases; solutions that may never turn up in real life within my remaining lifespan. I’ve not yet reached the point, where I do not buy green bananas, alas…

You may find the current state anywhere from acceptable to perfect for your use. I regard it as becoming more of a “coming soon” farce each month, quarter and year of non-delivery of a more and more precarious solution.

In order to survive, you need to (at least also) appeal to the young, who are less inclined to use a Mac or PC as their “main platform”, as earlier generations. When even old farts like me find your solutions becoming too long in the teeth, where’s the next generation to support future speedy - ahem - development coming from?

“Hev a najs daj!”

Really? So why are you sneaking around in here? Why do you care?

You should check out their post history, lunk. :slight_smile:

To the OP (or more importantly, anyone else happening along), Dropbox has never been a requirement for any version of Scrivener, and especially neither the Mac nor PC versions. Your post is mostly misinformation and illogical claims—you could just as well be claiming that Notepad.exe “forces” you to use Dropbox. It would make about as much sense as all of this. It has been filed accordingly.

I did, but I am a curious cat and didn’t understand if the OP was serious or just a troll.

You can’t be both?

No. A troll can be boring, scary, adventurous, and a lot of other things, but not serious. Even solemn, perhaps, but never serious.
If you ask a troll “Are you serious?!?!” they will inevitably answer no, or lie.

Yeah, I adhere to the older definition on this one, where a troll is a deliberately malicious element, attempting to off-topic (which could be argued in this case, responding to a thread about Windows development with a rant about the perceived necessity of Dropbox on their Mac) or get people riled up and confuse the conversation with misinformation.

I suppose the way “troll” has come to be seen in modern usage is anyone you disagree with that is being a bit rude about it, wherein one can be absolutely serious.