Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 29, version 18.104.22.168
22.214.171.124 (64-bit) | 126.96.36.199 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 29. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta expires end of November 2019. New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The fixes and changes from Beta 28 to Beta 29 are listed below.
- Compile - Header and Footer only work in "First Pages" 
- Compile - Header and Footer Alignment incorrect 
- Compile - Header and Footer Issues with templates 
- Compile - Project styles are not automatically classed in compiled ebook output 
- Compile - option to convert MMD to rich text is active when irrelevant 
- Compile - Styles - assignments made within the format are lost 
- Compile - Adding elements in section layouts changes formatting of selected text 
- Compile - adjust custom Header/Footer margins 
- Compile - adjust RTF left/center/right aligned multi-part headers/footers 
- Compile - Use of a metadata document in the draft folder does not remove the content from the output 
- Compile - Table output in ebooks lack header block and rows 
- Compile - adjust custom margin settings for facing pages 
- Compile - Indent the icons of the Compile Content pane 
- Compile - Placeholder <$t> not working in with "Uppercase" setting 
- Compile - contents pane UI refinements 
- Compile - custom header/footer margins not applying to RTF formats 
- Compile - adjust CSS for ePub generation 
- Right-clicking Link selects all but first character 
- Header/Footer options editable with no page selection 
- Reformatting of Tutorial for Scrivener for windows 3 
- Failure to save tutorial prevents Scrivener opening 
- Default text zoom affecting existing editors 
- Convert rich text to MMD option spaces out metadata lines.md 
- Revision colors do not show when compiling to PDF 
- Statusbar text zoom is not correct upon startup when using a non-100% zoom in Options 
- Some fonts will always load as Bold upon restarting Scrivener 
- Inspector follows the inactive editor pane 
- Edit > Find > Quick Search is not functional 
- Add Display and Print font hinting preferences 
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Nov 14th 2019