Wonderdraft: Fantasy map creation tool

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:01 am Post

I recently bought Wonderdraft: a map creation mostly targeted at the Dungeons & Dragons crowd, but flexible and extensible enough to draw modern maps too. Thought folk here might be interested.

https://www.wonderdraft.net/

You can find a lot of examples on their reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/wonderdraft/

A particularly useful feature (especially for drawing inexperts, like myself) is the ability to import an image as an overlay, or guide; it's a bit like using tracing paper – do kids still do that? I've been using this feature in combination with images taken fromThe Writers' Map to train my map-making skills.

And, of course, it's a great displacement activity when you should be writing.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm Post

Thank you! I’ve been looking for something like this, will check it out.

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm Post

Wow, that looks amazing. I tried randomly generating continents and islands using a photoshop technique, adapted to Pixelmator (which is a very nice tool, btw), but I ended up generating something that was just kind of "meh".

It looks pretty easy (relative to from-scratch PS/Pixelmator techniques). What do you think about it relative to more general-purpose drawing/touch-up tools?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

auxbuss

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm Post

rdale wrote:It looks pretty easy (relative to from-scratch PS/Pixelmator techniques). What do you think about it relative to more general-purpose drawing/touch-up tools?

Given that my map-making and graphic tools kills are terrible, I'm probably not the best qualified to provide a useful answer. I did find I could make passable maps in a few hours, though – passable to me, that is :) For the skills I don't have – mainly shading and creating appropriate colours – there are plenty of examples to learn from. That said, for publishing or as a writing guide, black and white should be sufficient, and there are themes and plenty of uncoloured (or colourable) assets to do that.

For me, this has made map-making fun and, frankly, achievable. I don't have the skills, nor motivation, to make them the proper way.

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:39 pm Post

Um... The website says it needs an Nvidia GPU. If that's real, then l can't run it on my humble Macbook Air 11 :(
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction. I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6th gen; iOS 13.1.3

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:06 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:Um... The website says it needs an Nvidia GPU. If that's real, then l can't run it on my humble Macbook Air 11 :(

Lot's of PCs doing without Nvidia GPUs too! Does anyone know of an open source fantasy mapping tool?

auxbuss

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:39 pm Post

Silverdragon wrote:Um... The website says it needs an Nvidia GPU. If that's real, then l can't run it on my humble Macbook Air 11 :(

It runs okay on my newgen MBA, which it pretty low spec in the graphics department (integrated Intel UHD Graphics 617).

I would expect older hardware to struggle with it, though.

rdale

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 pm Post

Well, it says it needs (bare minimum) an Intel HD Graphics 5000. The NVIDIA is recommended though.

But now that I look at my old MB Air (2013 model), I've got a IHD Graphics 4000, so it might not run on mine either. :cry: I'm not in the market for a new computer (though I actually do want the latest model air). Without a trial version to test on my machine, I guess it'll have to wait a couple more years before I can buy with the confidence that it will run properly on whatever computer I end up with.

auxbuss

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:04 pm Post

rdale wrote:though I actually do want the latest model air

I bought mine mostly for writing. I was considering an iPad+keyboard combo, but the MBA is perfect – just the 8/128 base model (which I got for 1,000 + change). I sync everything via iCloud (which iOS Scriv doesn't [yet] do) including Scriv's preferences. So, I move between macOS machines, and everything just works.

Go on! Treat yourself :D

rdale

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:02 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:
rdale wrote:though I actually do want the latest model air

I bought mine mostly for writing. I was considering an iPad+keyboard combo, but the MBA is perfect – just the 8/128 base model (which I got for 1,000 + change). I sync everything via iCloud (which iOS Scriv doesn't [yet] do) including Scriv's preferences. So, I move between macOS machines, and everything just works.

Go on! Treat yourself :D

You're not the boss of me!

* Visits https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/ *

You can't tempt me to break my budget.

* clicks shiny blue Buy button *

I'm going to remain strong, get my finances in order...

* selects options, clicks Add to Bag *

... save up, and only then am I going to upgrade.

* stares at total, ignores bank balance *