Scapple and other platforms (iOS, Windows etc)

Personally, I prefer iThoughts though I own both applications. I suggest that neither app sucks, but each serves different needs.

But I’m all in favour of more choice in software!

So, in broader terms I want to repost [from a long time ago] my support for development of Scapple on iOS. I’ve tried several different mind-mapping iOS tools including Omni Group’s products and they just don’t do what Scapple does the WAY that Scapple does it - not incredibly surprising. Currently I’m using Mind Node because, for me, it comes the closest to looking, feeling and acting like Scapple, but it, like all of its competitors, doesn’t really come all that close to being a good Scapple replacement. I so appreciate the amazing work that’s been done with Scrivener and I continue to be hopeful that someday, in the foreseeable future, Scapple for iOS can be realized.

Has someone used DrawExpress on an iPad yet? Not too bad. Not exàctly the same as Scapple - and I would love to see Scapple on iOS too - but in my mind it comes close enough to use it for now as a sort of replacement. It has a free Lite version in the app-store as well, so there is no reason not to try it. (Not affiliated with the developer whatsoever btw)
Just my two cents.

1 Like

Since there seems to be interest in an iOS version of Scapple and L&L has limited resources, what about a kickstarter campaign to raise funds for its development? Perhaps enough could be raised to hire a contract developer (preferable located close to the L&L team)? One issue I do see, however, is the Apple store does not offer a method to allow contributors a code or method to get the app if they fund outside the App store.

Unfortunately, as history has shown, finding a capable Developer is the hardest part of the task. Long ago L&L had someone working on the iOS Version of Scrivener with the result that Keith eventually took over the development by himself and started from Scratch. Good staff (really good staff) is hard to find theses days.

As a Mac and iOS user, and registered Scrivener, and Scapple user, I would love to see an iOS version of Scapple for my iPad. I dig using my larger 12.9 iPad with Logi keyboard for writing. Would be awesome to have Scapple on both my Mac and iPad!
I’m patient, so just take this as a positive response to potential development for the iOS platform.

Love the work you’ve done! Cheers from Yosemite N.P. CA!

I can absolutely understand your need to concentrate scarce developer resources for Scrivener. It’s a magnificent app and it made writing my second book a hundred times easier than my first one (which I pounded out in Microsoft Word, to my everlasting shame).

Nevertheless, I for one would love to see an iPadOS version of Scapple at some point. It would be a great excuse to learn Swift UI. :wink:

Jeff Kirk

The iPadOS app Mindscope probably comes closest to Scapple (and the description includes a reference to Scapple). I’ve not tried it (even the free version) as it wouldn’t allow me to open my Scapple files (Mac) on my iPad. As someone else has suggested, printing to pdf or opening with iThoughts are my current options (and iThoughts is well thought out for multi-platform use). In fact, iThoughts alone could almost replace Scapple - but, having been using it for training sessions on Zoom (where it’s simple layout is ideal on a shared screen) I’m still holding out for an iOS Scapple!

Hi!

Just started using Scapple and loving quickness to get the ideas out of my head. Just wondering if there is any update as to an IOS version. It would be nice to use on my iPad when not in the country.

Many thanks

I have tried. Yes, I have really tried to love Mindscope. It’s cleverly thought out and, no doubt, fashioned with the best intentions.

But it stimulates the wrong parts of my brain, thanks to its cleverness. Half the time, I misclick and have to hunt for an idea that was hidden by mistake at a deeper level.

I really, really need Scapple’s simplicity and immediacy on iOS, for my iPhone and my iPad Pro. Really need!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Just throwing my hat in the ring and saying I’d like an iOS version as Scapple is a great product.

The good news here is that Scapple for iOS is on our roadmap. It will be next year at the very earliest before it’s ready, though, as we haven’t started development on it just yet - we’ll be starting soon, after finishing the transition of some of the core macOS code to Swift (Apple’s newer development language). That Swift code will then be adapted to form the basis of cross-platform macOS/iOS code.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about Scapple - glad you like it!

All the best,
Keith

7 Likes

I think it will be your most successful product

1 Like

Are there any news regarding scapple for iOS?
For me Scapple is the best mindmap app I ever used. But having it on the phone or ipad would be a huge benefit though.

1 Like

See two posts above from KB!

1 Like

Ah, my fault sorry! Thought that was much older. Thanks!

Just passing bay to let you know that I’d love Scapple for iPad.
I thought that programming for MacOS and iOS was almost identical, but I guess there are many differences.
Anyway I prefer Scapple to similar apps because it respects your freedom, I thought using alternatives but I am not comfortable with them for writing.

2 Likes

My most wished for app to run across Mac, Windows and iOS is Scapple. The only thing that stops me uaing Scapple continually is the lack of iPadOS support

2 Likes

An iOS version is in development now but it is still some way off - the end of the year at the very earliest. Ian, who joined us a couple of years ago, has spent the best part of the past year working on updating the core Scapple code from Objective-C to Swift and at the same time preparing it to be macOS/iOS cross-platform compatible. He’s currently working on pushing out a minor Mac update, after which he’ll be returning to the iOS code.

All the best,
Keith

6 Likes