Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

I have installed the native Linux version now on Ubuntu 18.04 64bit, and it runs fine. Although I know and I’m able to install Scrivener via WINE, this is not what I want. Simply because I got rid off the Windows stuff more than 3 years ago.
So I will keep this version as long as it runs under Ubuntu.

I will be glad to pay another 25 EUR for a supported native actual Scrivener Linux version.

More and more people – especially the creative ones – see the great value add in Open Systems. As the Apple OS is more or less a UNIX, I don’t think that it is that complicated to produce a UNIX package.

It’s a BSD variant, but the bigger hurdle is Apple’s programming environment, which is rather specific to MacOS.

Thank you for this! Alas, I didn’t see it before I went on a dependency hunt.

I am using MXLinux 18.1 which is based on Debian Stretch (Version 9) and I hit two difficulties with dependencies that you may well have solved. (If only I’d read your post first, Sigh!) Specifically, Scrivener refused to run in MXLinux 18.1, because my installation of MXLinux 18.1 lacked two particular programs/libraries (dependencies) that it needs to do so…

The first concerned “libpng12-so-0”. This is available from the “normal” MXLinux 18.1 repositories by downloading the “libpng12-0” package.

The second was a bit more tricky. It concerned “libgstapp-0.10.so.0”. Supposedly, this dependency is contained in the “libgstreamer0.10-0” and/or the “libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0” packages which are also contained in the MXLinux 18.1 repositories. I installed both of them from the repos, but Scrivener still would not launch. I received the same error indicating that “libgstapp-0.10.so.0” was still missing.

I tried again, instead downloading the packages directly from debian at the following links:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0/download and,
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/amd64/libgstreamer0.10-0/download

When I installed these downloaded packages using GDebi, GDebi returned that the packages had already been installed. … but this time when I launched Scrivener it ran. Go figure.

Again, thank you for your work. I post this in the hope that it might be useful to someone. A concern I have going forward is that the dependency issues will grow as Linux is updated. I suppose that is everyone’s concern, too.

It also seems that Apple’s APIs seem to be diverging further over time: Cocoa does not seem to map well onto any Linux APIs.

I am debian 10 , 32bits and want to know from @alexo or other guys if its possible install it in my distro version?

Hi Amiel, yes it is working. I was using it on a Debian 10 (with MATE and Cinnamon), without problems. I have it installed and running on 3 computers, all working, in different distros, Debian 10, Debian 9, Mint 18 (this one is 32bits).

Just as a FYI… this still works with Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon. I was able to get it up and running after I got the missing dependencies put in place that were mentioned above. Thank you soooo much for to those who are keeping the information posted to keep this Linux version working!

I can’t stand Windows 10 with all the poor quality control and spying, and with Windows 7 facing end of life, I’ve been migrating to Linux. Even though this is old software, it’s still pretty far ahead of competitors, so I will stick with it for now.

Thanks a lot, Alexo! You did a greaaat job. I have my windows version running under wine, but your version is better.

HI, I have installed the Linux version of Scrivener. But even though I can see the icon on installed file, but the software doesn’t load. Kindly help.
I’m running on 32 bit machine , Debian OS

You probably don’t actually want the Linux version of Scrivener – it’s old enough that there have been a lot of bugfixes, features, and project format changes since that last released version. Most folks who are using Scrivener on Linux these days are doing so by using the current Windows version under WINE.

I was away from the Linux version for a while, since I made a lot of use of the iOS version of Scrivener for editing on the go, and even cork boarding stories during breaks and the like.

But since the Wine version has exploded in size (100 megs to 2.2 gigabytes), I’ve returned to running the Linux version, from AppImage, and it is rather amazing how little I miss from the Wine version I was used to. It’s got a few annoying, but not serious, bugs, but it has all the basics I rely on in my everyday writing.

In all, the only thing I miss when using it, is the ability to share projects with iOS. But that hurts a lot less than the bloat of the Wine version hurts. I’ve always used old or cheap computers, like Chromebooks, especially used ones, for writing on when on the go. It’s excellent machines, often with good keyboards and screens, but with very low disk space and RAM. That has never been an issue before, but now they can’t fit the Wine version any longer.

But the Linux version fits just fine, at 64 megabytes, including everything.

Registering purely to say thank you to Alexo for this post and a version of Scrivener that runs on Mint 19.3. Marvellous stuff, saves me mucking around with a second OS.

You are welcome! :smiley:
Thanks for everyone that replied mentioning my package. Hope you all make good stuff with Scrivener.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, MATE or XFCE, dear mate?

Greetings,

Just installed Alexo’s package on Mint 20 beta. Thought I should let everyone know I needed these two .debs that weren’t required for Mint 19.3:

packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 … 0/download
packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 … t/download

Put those two debs in the same folder as Alexo’s other dependency .debs. Then everything else in Alexo’s readmes still applies.

as an aside, I’m not sure if this package:
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2_amd64
is superseded by:
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2+deb8u2_amd64
but hey it’s working so I’m not digging to deep for answers right now.

Below are the steps that worked for me on a fresh install of Xubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Note - the Scrivener beta .deb may hang if selected for installation in/by the Software Center

in which case install through Terminal using:
$ sudo apt install <path to .deb file>

Ignore dependencies warning(s)

Install these packages in this order (using Terminal):

libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1b_amd64.deb

libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5ubuntu1_amd64.deb

libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2ubuntu0.2_amd64.deb

Spellcheck also needs a dictionary setting up in Scrivener. If none show in Tools/Options/Corrections, install libaspell:

libaspell-dev_0.60.8-1build1_amd64.deb

Scrivener still throws up an error message on closing saying there has been a problem and should the programme be re-started; I ignore it and tick the ‘do not show this message again’ box. Everything works fine after that.

I too wish to add my thanks.

I am using Debian 10. However, the suggested dependencies do not exist. Does anyone know if I am missing a particular repo?

I should mention that I get this message:

/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks.

Hi all,

has anybody installed Scrivener on Ubuntu 20.4?
I used the deb package and did both a manual install and through the software manager. Installation was a piece of cake, Scrivener shows up in the apps and everything. Only problem is that it does not run. Any idea?

I have not but yesterday did get the AppImage to somewhat work in Mint Cinnamon 20.

I say work somewhat because I only used it for a few minutes––just repeatedly opened and closed Scrivener and navigated in its Tutorial. I’m not even sure that I installed it properly. I’m a returning Linux newbie so just briefly trying the Scrivener AppImage was a goal for that self-training session as part of my longterm strategy. See the following thread made by @theswede. He’s experienced and successfully uses the AppImage. There’s a link in his OP to the hosting site. It’s well worth a look.