When will Scrivener support iCloud (or the way around)?

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:24 pm Post

Kinsey wrote:I was sitting in a café. I counted 5 people using laptops, 1 iPad and a handful of Luddites reading physical books.


Let's not be judgemental just because someone is using an older technology. Physical books still meet many use cases ebooks don't (and can't). "Mature technology" is not the same as "obsolete technology."

Which, I think is the point that many are missing. KB has a strongly stated core vision for how Scrivener works, and it relies upon certain plumbing in MacOS to deliver that functionality. Some of the limitations in the iOS version of Scrivener are there not because KB felt those limitations were a good fit, but because of how Apple implemented that plumbing (and the parts they didn't). If Apple never implements it in iPadOS, then it's a moot point.

It's like fiber internet -- it doesn't matter how much better it is than cable or DSL, if your local providers never roll it out.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5440
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm Post

JoRo wrote:I hadn’t missed the point. I was building from it. And I do think that iPadOS is transforming into a slimmer version of macOS and that its apps (on iPads or Macs) will suit the needs of most consumers, which is the largest part of Scrivener’s market. With some tweaks to the nomenclature, Steve Jobs’ truck analogy pretty much applies, I think.


I think you and I disagree about the premise. I don't see writers as "consumers," or Scrivener as a "consumer" application. Scrivener users, by definition, are "creating" not "consuming," at least when they are using the application.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 5440
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 pm Post

JoRo wrote:For me, the Windows analogy has no relevance as we are talking about Apple products.

Yes, iOS serves a (slightly, IMO) different market, but it is the biggest market and it is growing; and its influence will continue to grow with its apps having Trojan Horse access into macOS territory.

And, yes, people write in Word and Pages and Ulysses (and Scrivener) on iOS devices and they are happy. All of those users are, I think, part of Scrivener’s target market.


My point is that L&L has always understood that other platforms and other writing applications exist, and that many people may prefer those platforms and applications. Most people aren't writing 50,000+ word manuscripts. And yet somehow Scrivener continues to be used by more and more people.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Ki
Kinsey
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:55 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
Kinsey wrote:I was sitting in a café. I counted 5 people using laptops, 1 iPad and a handful of Luddites reading physical books.


Let's not be judgemental just because someone is using an older technology. Physical books still meet many use cases ebooks don't (and can't). "Mature technology" is not the same as "obsolete technology."



A throw away remark, made in the context of a discussion about the future of technology. I was one of the Luddites. I am a book person. Always will be. Lighten up! :D