Draft Navigator access doesn’t show

I’m using the latest iOS version on an iPad Pro.
I suppose the Draft Navigator access icon should be visible below, next to the Bookmarks icon. But it’s not there.

Nevertheless if I enter the Help Tutorial that is present in my Projects section, it shows the Draft Navigator icon. But even here if I have certain files open in the Editor the icon is not visible as well.
What’s the criteria to show or not show the Draft Navigator access?

Only available when viewing a text document in the Draft folder.

Katherine

Ah… Ok, I get it now, thanks.

I have the same problem as the other user. I understand that the Draft Navigator only shows when viewing a document in in the Drafts folder. I believe I am doing this, but the icon is not visible. This is clearly an error on my part, but I can’t spot it.

There are sub-documents below the one you currently have selected. Do you see the Draft Navigator icon if you drill down to the lowest document?

No I don’t

Just to be sure, in your initial post HRO 9a App…llision at Sea is shown (sidebar header) as the parent container. Is it, or whatever is the topmost container, a child of the Draft folder—not a sibling?

For instance in the included Tutorial, the And Finally… document is on the same level (note the indentation) as the Draft so the Draft Navigator isn’t used.

The hierarchy is General Writing Projects/Drafts/HRO Blog/HRO 9a Applied HRO-Collision at Sea/(working) Post 9s: Collision at Sea-What to do? Pt 2. The topmost container, HRO Blog, is a child of Drafts. I tried renaming Drafts to Draft like the tutorial, but that didn’t make a difference.

The requirement isn’t that the folder is named Draft, it’s that the Draft Navigator is only visible under the special folder Draft.

Scrivener has three special folders. These are top level . They are usually, but not always, named Draft, Research, and Trash. See the Scrivener Tutorial for an explanation of the special folders, in the section Draft > The Main Interface > The Binder > Special Folders.

Complicating this is that it appears you’ve renamed folders, so your special folders are now called something other than their default names.

You can identify which folders are special folders, because you will not be able to delete them. So if you navigate to a project’s top level, select Edit, then select a top level folder, the garbage can will be greyed out for a special folder, like so:

So first step is identifying your top level special folders by determining which ones cannot be deleted.

Once you’ve done that, you’ll need to identify which folder is special folder Draft. To do this, drill down into each special folder–special folder Draft will be the one where you see the Draft Navigator enabled when you’re in a text document. :nerd_face: If you don’t see the Draft Navigator enabled, then you’re not working in special folder Draft.

Let me know if you can figure it out based on these steps.

Best,
Jim

That was the problem. I must have created a Draft folder separate from the Special Folder some time ago. Can you suggest the easiest way to move all the containers I have in my not-so-special Drafts Folder to the correct one? Then I can rename it and delete the soon to be empty one.

It’s okay. I already did the moving. Thank you for your assistance. It was a strange problem.

Oof. I have a new problem now. After moving all the documents and folders to the Special Folder in the project, Scrivener crashes whenever I try to access the Draft Navigator (DN) in the Draft folder of that project. I can use the DN of other projects without a crash so it appears to be confined to that single project. What would you suggest?

Have you by any chance already upgraded your device to iOS 15? If so, that update broke the navigator feature, and it’s not a problem with your project or anything you did. You’ll just have to wait until the update comes out that fixes it.

Also, if you’ve placed an image document into the Draft folder then try to use the Draft Navigator, Scrivener will crash. From the Tutorial document Special Folders:

The Draft folder is therefore special in that it can only contain text documents (and folders, which are just a special type of text document)—you cannot import or move image documents, PDF documents or any other kind of research file into the Draft folder or any of its subfolders. (You can insert images into the text of documents inside the Draft folder, however; it’s just that you cannot import images as separate documents that are not part of a text document.)

No, Amber, I have not upgraded to iOS15. Another good reason to wait longer to do so. Thank you fr the suggestion.

Ugh! No graphics or pdfs, but I had two web pages in Draft that really should have gone in research. Another opportunity to learn. Thank you.