Problem with importing websites after update Mac OS Mojave 10.14.4

Just want to add my support for this issue.

I understand that this was not your ‘fault’, and I am so glad to hear you are working on it.

Unfortunately, this has killed >30% of the content in my notebooks, so I am desperate for the fix.

Glad to know it was the Apple update at fault and more importantly, delighted to know I don’t have to go through all my saved ‘links’ to try to find them again. Some being quite obscure.

Looking forward to hearing about the workaround…

thanks

We should have the fix out for this soon. I was away for two weeks in mid April so was unable to release the fix, and now Ioa is away for a few days and we have some urgent web store issues to address. Once Ioa is back and those issues are in hand, we’ll get the update out. Thanks for your patience.

All the best,
Keith

Ok, Keith, thanks a lot, we’ll be patient “for a few days” more… Regards, maracuja

Hi, Keith! This seems like a pretty major functionality to leave broken for such a long time. Any update as to when your paying customers will once again be able to properly use the product we’ve purchased from you?

Have you contacted Apple to ask when they’re going to fix the Mac OS bug that is the root cause of the problem?

To load an existing web archive in the interim, choose the Navigate → Open → In External Editor command.

Katherine

Have I contacted a third party to figure out why your product, which I paid for, isn’t working?

No. No, I have not. I believe what you’ve just described would be your job. Not mine.

What a rich lesson in customer service. Informing your paying customers that it’s on them to figure out why your product isn’t working as advertised is the polar opposite of a good look.

I’m excited to learn when I’ll be able to use the full functionality of the product I purchased from you once again.

Again, the issue is due to a bug in Apple’s code. We’re actually the “third party” here, in that code we do not control is damaging the user experience of our customers.

In any case, as noted, the Open in External Editor functionality is the best workaround.

Katherine

Thank you Katherine, that works just fine.
For the other impatient ones, use the URL at the bottom of your Scrivener screen to access the website. It’s not as easy or clean, but it works.
Programmers are people too and Scrivener is just an overall awesome program.

Hi, I’m applying for jobs and all my web archives have not been viewable for 4-5 weeks. I also use DevonThink - their archives do work on Mojave, but that doesn’t help me really. I followed the forum thread, but am surprised the update isn’t here yet. I tried to write an applescript to export PDF from safari to Scrivener but couldn’t find much functionality in the AppleScript dictionary for Scrivener.

When will there be a fix. I feel this is core functionality missing. Please ship the workaround.

Bug reported to Apple radar: 50554908

Kind regards, Ian Grant

Again, you can view your archives by opening them in Safari. Navigate -> Open -> In External Editor

Katherine

I think we understand, at this point, that there is a workaround.

The real question, which remains unanswered, is when we’ll have an update as to when you’ll be restoring the full functionality of the thing we paid for.

I have the same problem and it’s not trivial. I’ve always used Scrivener to co-ordinate my research and now all my carefully saved websites are gone. Over more than dozen books and several years! Please try to fix this!

(And no, I don’t appreciate being told to fix it myself, thanks.)

ETA: I see there’s a workaround, so I’ll use that for now.

What about the „few days“, Keith?

Hi,
Same problem here since the Mojave update, please it is not a minor issue.
The workaround isn’t satisfying in production mode.
Thanks,
frth

Now I got the Mojave 10.4.5 update today, but still the webarchives don’t open in scrivener. Apple bug? IMHO, Literature and Latte will have to revise their code. So: Please, fix this problem immediately!!

See also https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57029!

Just to note that for those writers like me who frequently work without internet access, either intentionally or of necessity, the workaround is not helpful, and this is a critical ongoing problem. Making my voice heard in case y’all were thinking that the workaround made this problem a less urgent priority.

Which workaround is that, that you are referring to? The one I believe was mentioned up-thread is to use the Open in External Editor feature and view the .webarchive file in Safari (by default). If the file doesn’t actually display in Safari correctly while offline, then it’s no good to you offline anyway, regardless of where you are viewing it from. To be clear, some webpages do not archive well, or at all. Whether a viewer can view them will not change that.

There are other workarounds listed in the other thread.

Please, AmberV, don’t focus any longer on workarounds! What we need is a well working copy of Scrivener!

Very well, you’re on your own. :smiling_imp: