iPad mini advice needed

br
brett

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm Post

I had my iPad Mini before there was an iOS Scrivener, but I did sometimes use it (to cover classical music festivals occasionally, in fact!) as a writing as well as reading, interviewing and notetaking machine, using iAWriter IIRC, plus a portable Bluetooth keyboard.

Now, I regularly use my 9.7” iPad Pro to write stories in Scrivener, and it’s almost as efficient for my uses as using my Macbook Pro with or without 24” external display. Of course, extra room is always nice, and iOS limitations (like not being able to bulk iimport files into a Scrivener project) still make the Mac superior, but that’s likely to change in the next iOS updates.

I agree with Katherine’s assessments. When I had the mini, I used it exactly as she does, and it was superior for reading and notetaking for exactly the reasons she notes — which is why I’m kinda craving a new one.

On the other hand, I do enjoy actual SCrivening on the iPad too, which is what makes me reluctant to go back to that old model of iPad Mini + Macbook that served me well for a few years. Frankly, I still haven’t decided which course to take: new Mini or new Air. I either want a bigger screen (for SCrivening) or a smaller one (for everything else, leaving the Scrivening to my MacBook.) And no, I don’t have the budget to do what Apple wants me to do (and what I secretly desire — don’t tell anyone!) and get BOTH a Mini AND an iPad Pro (or Air). Darn it!

th
thewolfgang

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:11 pm Post

Thanks so much -

BTW, your book on Lou Harrison is superb - reminds me of when I sat in on a gamelan rehearsal of his

kewms
Platform: Mac

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:26 pm Post

thewolfgang wrote:Thank you so much - so I can assume that writing 1,000-word long articles in Scrivener on the Mini is entirely feasible, in preference to lugging my MBA along?

Yes, although I'd recommend testing the specific external keyboard you plan to use. There are different ways to shrink a keyboard to fit the MIni's footprint, and some are more successful than others.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

br
brett

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 pm Post

thewolfgang wrote:Thanks so much -

BTW, your book on Lou Harrison is superb - reminds me of when I sat in on a gamelan rehearsal of his

Aww, terima kasih [blush]! Glad you liked it. Scrivener was a great help in organizing and assimilating the multifarious events of Lou's colorful life and work.

To Katherine's point: I used my old Apple Wireless keyboard in an Origami case with the Mini, and still use it with my iPad Pro. When I need something even smaller and quieter, I use a Logitech Keys to Go.

th
thewolfgang

Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:59 pm Post

I've got my trusty old Apple Wireless too!