Big dumb question

ThisHereIsPete
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 am Post

I’ve just discovered that Scrivener for iOS has its own ‘Back Up To...’ equivalent using the project share menu (via the Edit button or a Long Press).

This way I can save archives into iCloud with both the desktop and iOS versions (opening them on iOS using an extractor I made with the Shortcuts app), all zipped and dated and everything, so I know which is most recent.

It’s so versatile, I can even save backups to Apple Notes if I want to. Amazing!

JimRac wrote:I think you'll enjoy it. I certainly do. I currently do perhaps 80% of my writing in iOS Scriv, and the rest in the Win version. Partially because generally there's less distractions lurking for me on my iPad vs. my PC, but also because I just like the feel of writing in iOS Scriv. Keith did a great job, it's a really nice environment for creativity.

Now I’ve connected a Bluetooth keyboard, I can see how It could easily replace a laptop. I love it.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:30 pm Post

Yes, I create a zipped backup from iOS Scriv after every writing session, just like I do with the desktop version.

Be sure to go through the iOS Scriv Tutorial, as there are some handy features that weren’t obvious, at least to me.

Two I can think of:

Quick Reference - let’s you split screen and work on two documents, as with Desktop version. Settings (Gear) > Sidebar > Expanded/Compact will increase or decrease the split. Swipe documents in the bindeer left > More > Quick Reference to display them. Tap the title in the Binder to display the Quick Reference documents (Scrivener remembers them).

Reveal in Binder - Tap the document title to reveal its location in the binder.

Best,
JIm
I’m just a customer.

ThisHereIsPete

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:40 pm Post

Thanks for the tips, Jim. Handy stuff. I’m going to go through the tutorial this Sunday and have some fun.

After that, I’m going to stop procrastinating and actually get some writing done...

...Honest

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:29 pm Post

Pete, one last thing, then you can go write. :D

Since you’re using an external keyboard, there’s keyboard shortcuts. See the iOS knowledgebase for the list. Also, hold down Command for onscreen list.

And see the knowledgebase article on fonts, that might save you some confusion.

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

ThisHereIsPete

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:03 pm Post

JimRac wrote:Pete, one last thing, then you can go write. :D

Since you’re using an external keyboard, there’s keyboard shortcuts. See the iOS knowledgebase for the list. Also, hold down Command for onscreen list.

I discovered this one by accident, much to my delight.

JimRac wrote:And see the knowledgebase article on fonts, that might save you some confusion.

https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ios

I'm all about the Times New Roman, so no worries.

Thanks again, Jim.

sc
scshrugged

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:42 pm Post

ThisHereIsPete wrote:I’ve just discovered that Scrivener for iOS has its own ‘Back Up To...’ equivalent using the project share menu (via the Edit button or a Long Press).

This way I can save archives into iCloud with both the desktop and iOS versions (opening them on iOS using an extractor I made with the Shortcuts app), all zipped and dated and everything, so I know which is most recent.

It’s so versatile, I can even save backups to Apple Notes if I want to. Amazing!

JimRac wrote:I think you'll enjoy it. I certainly do. I currently do perhaps 80% of my writing in iOS Scriv, and the rest in the Win version. Partially because generally there's less distractions lurking for me on my iPad vs. my PC, but also because I just like the feel of writing in iOS Scriv. Keith did a great job, it's a really nice environment for creativity.

Now I’ve connected a Bluetooth keyboard, I can see how It could easily replace a laptop. I love it.

I’ve been meaning to try Apple’s Shortcuts app. Your post nudged me to finally do so; thank you :).

This adds another effective method for those who prefer to transfer projects using ZIP files rather than sync them. The final panel I get before the project is sent to Scrivener's folder which already holds a version of the project:
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 1007 times

If one chooses Keep Both, the project name is appended sequentially. For this test, I extracted an archive stored in Sync app cloud service using Shortcuts app.

Apple support Shortcuts guide:
https://support.apple.com/guide/shortcuts/welcome/ios

An image laden tutorial on how to create and extract archives using Shortcuts app:
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-zip-u ... shortcuts/
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

Sc
Scribe1
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue May 07, 2019 4:48 pm Post

Can this be done in IOS?

ThisHereIsPete wrote:
kewms wrote:Yes.

It's also possible to include the date in the filename for automatic backups. The setting is in the Scrivener -> Preferences -> Backups pane.

Brilliant. Thanks, Katherine.