Codes for compiler

Could we sticky post this answer please so it will be easier to locate for future reference? TIA.

Have a look under the Help menu.

Simon

These codes are not currently available under the help menu in the Windows version like they are in the Mac version, so the original poster’s question was quite appropriate.

-Jeff

I’ve set this to sticky. In the meanwhile, listing codes should be easier to do in the user manual. We’ve been working on a way to escape them so that they don’t turn into numbers and such when compiling. It’s been kind of hard to write about them in Scrivener. :slight_smile:

I note that this list of placeholder tags supported in the Windows version is missing the custom auto-numbering tags needed for figure and table numbering: <$n:table:myTableName>, <$n:figure:myFigureName>, etc.

I love this software and am thinking of writing my thesis with Scrivener, but really want these tags to autonumber figures and tables. Is there any workaround to keep multiple auto-number streams going in a compilation?

I actually just had a question about this. My novel is divided into parts and chapters. There is a folder for each of the two parts and in each of those are folders for each of the chapters. Is there anyway to set up auto numbering so it correctly writes Part One and Part Two and separately have the chapters counting correctly? When I tried it went Part One, Chapter Two, Chapter Three, etc. I could try resetting the count, but then I’m not sure how to get the eventual Part Two to say Part Two and not Part One.

Hope this makes sense.

Again my structure looks like this

[ ] Part One
_____[Chapter One]
_____[Chapter Two]

_____[Chapter Nineteen]
[ ] Part Two
_____[Chapter Twenty]

At the moment there isn’t a way of doing that. We’ll have a way of making number streams in the future. For now you have to use different counter types. So you could do something like “Part One” and “Chapter 1”.

fadedwave,

I know you posted this a while back but (assuming you didn’t resolve it) I have compile options set up for my novel almost as you require. Compile output is…

[new page]
Title Page

[new page]
Part I
Incarceration (Part 1’s Title)

[new page]
CHAPTER ONE
text text (scenes spanning multiple pages)

[new page]
CHAPTER TWO

[new page]
CHAPTER THREE

[new page]
Part II
Liberation (Part 2’s Title)

[new page]
CHAPTER FOUR

[new page]
CHAPTER FIVE

[new page]
CHAPTER SIX

etc etc

The binder layout in Scrivener to support that output above is in the first JPG above. Note, the Part’s (yellow folder icons) title in the structure is printed out under the “PART I” automatically (as that is how I have set it up, you can omit that if you prefer no titles). However, the chapter’s titles (whilst they have titles in the binder to help me see where I am) are not printed out - they are replaced with chapter 1, 2 etc . Chapters are the green folder icons; scenes are blue “text” icons btw and are collapsed in that picture. They also have titles (that do not print, but help me as a visual reference) and just flow one after the other with a “* * *” separator in the output.

Compile Layout.jpg
The compile layout is in the second JPG above. Of course that doesn’t show the specific settings for each line item in the compile layout. But assuming you have your stuff structured as I do in the binder it’s those lines you need to tweak (for example if you do not want titles other than PART and Chapter).

If the above looks close enough for you to further tweak I have attached a blank “template” based on the above. If you extract it from the attached zip file and stick it in the templates directory, you can create a new project based on it.

Novel (with Parts) - Self numbering.zip (147 KB)

:slight_smile:

Where can I find a list of the Placeholder tags / codes for the Mac?

I just had an idea for something I might want to do in the future and wanted to see whether it was already available on the Mac side. So I downloaded the Mac manual, went to Appendix C - Placeholder Tags. Only to be told to look at the entry on the Help menu for the complete list - which of course I can’t, since I’m on Windows.

After a bit of searching it looks like <$n:[keyword]:[tag]> will probably accomplish what I want, but I’d still like to see the complete list if it’s available anywhere?

Just as a matter of interest. These placeholder tags, are they something exclusive to Scrivener or do they come from some markup language (like HTML)?

The codes are exclusive to Scrivener - they won’t mean anything to anything else; only Scrivener looks for them.

Probably non-sequitur but are there codes for figure and table numbers? If there are then I won’t have to manually update them in the exegesis I’m writing.

This thread might help …

Just what I needed! Thanks.

Thank you so much for making this list.
As I am new to Scrivener, but kind of form/structure freak, I would love to understand more about the hierachy in the format options. There are several folders/documents, named like “1+” and “1+” (document) and so on. What happens when I add another lever? Is there an easy explanation on how levels works? Say I want to change PART, CHAPTER, SCENE HEADING. So the result should go 1) PART 1, Chapter 1: Melinda arrives, Scene 1: At the coffe shop (and folllowing), like: PART 1, Chapter 1: Melinda arrives, Scene 2: At the house?
I have struggled to achieve this, but do not know which folders (and some folder might show up) in my formatting tab. When I try to compile, I get like empty headers for top level folder, saying “Part 1” and no text - until I reach Part 3. Hope this was understandable. Anyway, great post.

(BTW I also wonder how to change fonts for chapter titles and so on on compilling to a ebook. Thanks.

The number that immediately follows the “Level” is the point in the hierarchy that the item applies to. So “Level 1” refers to items in the root of the hierarchy, while “Level 2” would refer to items at the next level, and so on.

Whatever level is currently the lowest level (for the item type in question) automatically gets a “+” symbol appended, which means that its rules also apply to all items of that type below it. So “[Folder Icon] Level 1+” means that the rule applies to folders at Level 1 and all levels below. If you create a new folder level, the original will become “[Folder Icon] Level 1” (meaning that it now only applies to Level 1 items) and the new item will become “[Folder Icon] Level 2+”, meaning that it applies to Level 2 folders and folders deeper than level 2.

Keep in mind that each “Level” item has its own settings. So the checkboxes (such as the ones that control Title and Text) have to be set for each Level item that you create, and the rules that you set in the sample editor and the “Section Layout” settings are separate for each individual Level item (that’s the whole point of having the Level items).

There is a pretty good tutorial here that might help you understand better how this works in practice:

scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb/ … a-prologue

Jeff
Literature and Latte Support

Okay, I too have a similar problem as posted although slightly different. When I print out my entire MS my chapters are numbered correctly. However, say I just want to print out chapter three. Right now I choose that folder in the compiler to include only it and when it compiles it says Chapter One instead of Chapter Three. Is there any way to have it count each of the chapters (folders in a single hierarchy) so when I am compiling only chapter three it has the correct heading? Or do I have to name the folders Chapter One etc?

Thanks in advance,
Roxann

Thanks for this output!

Most welcome. Was written quite a while back, glad it’s still useful.