NiaD 8: Live and Let NiaD

Yes, I see that I have grossly underestimated the number of ways.

To amend: According to my precise calculations there are an (uncountably) infinite number of ways to read Auld Lang Syne.

Today is Chinese New Year, the first day of the year of the pig. Surely that’s inspiration enough for the next time around. Pig! Pig! Pig!

Any day seems a good day to ask when is the next one we will need a 2019 icon so maybe later in year :slight_smile:

I am now 2028/98304ths the way through the Auld Lang Syne novel swarm – which, given the way combinatorial explosion works is a lot further than you might think. And, perhaps, as far as you might expect, given my commitment to read all 98,304 versions and most of them simultaneously. Have to say some good material in here, folks!

Kudos along the way for the idyll of youth that is B. Morris Allen’s Chapter 10.

Where did the 1995 come from :smiley:

I wanted my chapter to feel authentic, so, taking a tip from last year’s protagonist, I used a “method writing” technique – and actually wrote my chapter in the past.

lol

Hi,
Just want to say a big thank you to @pigfender for letting me take part in this year’s Novel In A Day, even though I had missed the official deadline.

It was such fun and the books are so good. It’s also uncanny how it all holds together even though we didn’t know the plot. For example, I had no idea that it was about time travel!
I’m a terrible procrastinator and can never seem to finish writing anything, but I’ve managed to write a Novel In A Day twice — so maybe all I need is a good plot and a deadline?
It was great to collaborate with such a talented bunch of writers. We wrote 3 novels in a day! YAY!

A can now with some veracity declare that I have read all 98,304 versions of Auld Lang Syne. Whew!

Even at a mere page each, these book reviews are going to take some time to type up. Don’t hold your breath! :wink:

Consecutively or concurrently?

I think I would have to say: Both!

Were they any good?

73 x 10^3 were quite fine. I laughed. I cried. I wrote come critical notes.*

gr

*Still puzzling about how to make any sort of substantive remarks about a NIAD book and still seem like a nice guy – that is, without slighting anyone or stepping on anyone’s toes.

I’m up for it. I love NiaD, and think at least a couple of the chapters I’ve submitted over the years have been quite good, but I have only a basic idea of what I’m doing, and probably don’t know what I’m not doing. You’re welcome to use any of my chapters from any of the NiaDs as the subject of, or to illustrate, your critical notes**.

Regardless of whether or not my chapter(s) are mentioned, I’m genuinely curious in what you’ve noticed. But probably not in this forum. Maybe ina forum marked “There be Dragons” (or maybe something a little more modern). I’m not sure how I might have responded after (let alone before) my first NiaD, so let’s make sure people are looking for your comments.

[size=50]**If I cry, you can buy me a beer if I’m ever in your part of the world.[/size]
:smiley:

Apologies, only just properly noticed this. If the toes you’re worrying about are mine, then don’t - please go ahead. Any well intentioned feedback is helpful to (a) improve da skillz and/or (b) develop a thick skin.

I’d love (maybe ‘quite like’ would be better) to have my chapters pulled apart.
I might weep, but there’s no growth without tears.*

*a famous saying?

I have something written up that covers a bit over half the book, and have notes on a portion of the remainder. I am figuring to put something together to share after we are all finished happily crowing about NIAD 2019!*

gr

• And maybe this year, when I sit down to read the new book, I will think to jot down a few notes after each chapter the first time through — which I did not do last time which is why it is taking me so long to get something together (well, that and work) — so this time maybe I could just put together a Review-in-a-Day (RIAD), haha.

Now you’re in trouble: annual RIAD, scheduled one day after NIAD…

I am looking forward to seeing what you’ve written.

Hi! This is the first I’ve heard of this project but I love the idea! Can you PM me and let me know when the next one will be so I can sign up? I’ll send you samples of my work as well. Thank you! :smiley:

Oh dear. That was unfortunate timing.