Revisit previous years events?

You are perilously close to Douglas Adams “killed in a zebra crossing” territory here and I love it!

It’s all fun & games until someone starts the Vogon poetry…

Back on topic: I don’t know how I feel about rewriting the early books. Part of me is interested (anything that gets me writing fiction has a strong start) but at the same time it seems… “wrong” somehow. Maybe it feels more like an academic writing exercise than creating something new?

I don’t know.

Then again, Pigfender has proved he’s good at this, so maybe I should just trust him to pull it off.

My definitive answer: Maybe

I suspect that the Baconator would give you a different chapter making it a different experience entirely. Maybe you need to remind him at sign up time. Am I missing something obvious?

Maybe it’s the fact I see my efforts as writing a short story more than writing a novel. That or I’m a simpleton.

Yes!
Honestly, when I read the finished book, I always think ‘oh, if only I’d known that…’ Then again it is spoiling an element of the fun - the magician’s reveal at midnight wouldn’t be quite the same.

Probably. But there’s a strong chance I am too.

Wait… what’s the choice here? :wink:

Do you want me to dispariage your taste in trousers publicly?
or
Do you want me to sing the praises of your coherency in drunken posts to internet forums?

It’s a tough decision.

Pangur has asked me to point out that certain knowledgeable entities on the Astral plane, have informed him that nom only wears trousers at his office. Whilst at home, when writing or relaxing , he wears a kimono.
Pangur thinks that’s a bit odd … but each to his own, I say.
Do take care
Fluff

I myself am having that nom-sort of feeling.* And the sense of not creating something new (if that’s what that feeling is) is not (or not just) about one’s own chapter, but about the whole.

gr

• Is there something I can take for this?

This is what I was alluding to a while back. And it’s why I was wondering if we could think of a creative way forward. Instead of trying to recreate the same feeling by revisiting the old works, I wonder if there’s a way that we could do… I don’t know quite what… something new or something improved now that we know the endings of the books… making a tighter, more collaborative work somehow… just brainstorming “aloud”

Some interesting views here. Thanks everyone who has chipped in; I understand and appreciate both points of view. I’ll leave this thread here for others to add their opinions and suggestions, although for the moment at least there doesn’t seem to be a significant enough body of “yay”s to warrant a re-run.

One more question, if I may, to those who have reservations: Is your unease about whether you’d personally enjoy taking part as much, knowing it was a tale already told, or is part of the unease that re-running would diminish the earlier work?

Yes.
But primarily the latter.

Yes*

[size=85]*You didn’t ask if it works[/size]

Miralax purgative works wonders for all manner of blockages.

The thing that is NiaD is special and fun and more than a little ‘barking mad jolly hockey sticks.’ It’s whimsical and adorable, and I wouldn’t want it to change one iota.

You can’t do more in the time. Yet I cringe at what I’ve written, and wish for… something . Not sure what. More time? A fuller brief (not enough time for it to make a real difference)? Divine intervention? An editor? A bigger box of Miralax?

Running it again might make it better - certainly different - but how many times? Would we re-run the re-run?
I feel a short story coming on. :smiling_imp:

I feel the same I would do it but it feels odd

Yes the latter really also we all write not really knowing and that is what makes it so good. The books we have done are a work of art a coming together and pressure of one day and it is what it is,

A different but somewhat related question, then…

What do people think about revisiting genres?

To much of a good thing, young piggy?
Take care,
Fluff xxxxx

That’s fine. Except for Westerns.