Revisit previous years events?

Ev
Evil Overlord
Platform: Windows

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:44 pm Post

pigfender wrote:This year's NiaD is the 2018 NiaD, just slightly delayed, so if you are one of the TWO people to have taken part in every single NiaD, your badge code would be...

Code: Select all

[url=http://novelinaday.com][img]www.pigfender.com/NiaD_Badge/1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8.png[/img][/url]

Now that we have time travel, could some of us go back and participate in the ones we missed previously?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm Post

What do people think about this?
Would people want to 'catch-up' if we were to schedule a couple of the really early NiaDs as re-runs?
Would those that took part first time round have another go?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm Post

I'd be interested.

ConradG
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm Post

Would people want to 'catch-up' if we were to schedule a couple of the really early NiaDs as re-runs?

The dynamic is different, because I imagine that many of us have read those novels and know where they're going. So much of NiaD depends on the reveal at the end.

I'd be very interested in taking part, whether there are different rules or not.

Just brain-storming ... it'd be fun, but probably unmanageable, to use the forum to establish canon as we go, In a do-over, should we look for rather more continuity? There might be enough of us based in London that we could do one live in a café or pub, with scheduled writing times and scheduled times for discussing continuity ... late-chapter people asking if an early-chapter person could foreshadow this, or plant that idea, and early-chapter people could ask late-chapter people to pick up this symbol or that theme....

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:19 pm Post

Yes.

And I promise to IGNORE all precedent as I insert pirates, dolphins and space aliens.

Why do we need to preface "aliens" with "space"? Seems redundant.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pigfender

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:51 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Why do we need to preface "aliens" with "space"? Seems redundant.

To make it clear you're talking about definition 4 and not the others.
alien.jpg
alien.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

Jaysen wrote:Yes. And I promise to IGNORE all precedent as I insert pirates, dolphins and space aliens.

Soooo tempted to just lock the thread at this point. :wink:

ConradG wrote: There might be enough of us based in London that we could do one live in a café or pub

That *might* prevent Jaysen from taking part. But it might also tempt him to visit. Maaaaan, tough call! :P
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Tanith

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:06 pm Post

I'd have to check and make sure my work and life schedule would cooperate before committing to it, of course...but yes, I'd be interested.

scrapsandsass

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm Post

pigfender wrote:What do people think about this?
Would those that took part first time round have another go?

Me! Me! Me! I would. :D
Kimberlee
Scraps & Sass

Jaysen

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:33 pm Post

pigfender wrote:

Am I? We all inhabit one or more points in space. And since everything is "in space" aren't we all "space" aliens the minute we move from point(s) to point(s) within our space.

So I think all definitions are open to my use of "space" aliens.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Jaysen

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:35 pm Post

Pigfender wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Yes. And I promise to IGNORE all precedent as I insert pirates, dolphins and space aliens.

Soooo tempted to just lock the thread at this point. :wink:

ConradG wrote: There might be enough of us based in London that we could do one live in a café or pub

That *might* prevent Jaysen from taking part. But it might also tempt him to visit. Maaaaan, tough call! :P

What better way to have me show up on a doorstep... Lock a favorite thread but tell everyone where you will be and when you will be there! We can hang out with our peg legs, eyepatches, videos of performant dolphins, eat mahi mahi (which is technically called "dolphin") and try to figure out which of the patrons "aren't from around here". Heck, I'd be a legit alien myself!
Jaysen

pe
pete340

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Heck, I'd be a legit alien myself!

That would make you a taking-up-space-alien.
-- Pete Image

Jaysen

Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm Post

pete340 wrote:
Jaysen wrote:Heck, I'd be a legit alien myself!

That would make you a taking-up-space-alien.

Which is slightly better than the normal "waste-of-space alien" but less fun than the state after of few drinks of "wasted space-alien".

I like this game!
Jaysen

devinganger

Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:31 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
pigfender wrote:

Am I? We all inhabit one or more points in space. And since everything is "in space" aren't we all "space" aliens the minute we move from point(s) to point(s) within our space.

You are perilously close to Douglas Adams "killed in a zebra crossing" territory here and I love it!
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

nom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
Jaysen wrote:
pigfender wrote:To make it clear you're talking about definition 4 and not the others.

You are perilously close to Douglas Adams "killed in a zebra crossing" territory here and I love it!

It’s all fun & games until someone starts the Vogon poetry...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

nom

Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:30 pm Post

Back on topic: I don’t know how I feel about rewriting the early books. Part of me is interested (anything that gets me writing fiction has a strong start) but at the same time it seems... “wrong” somehow. Maybe it feels more like an academic writing exercise than creating something new?

I don’t know.

Then again, Pigfender has proved he’s good at this, so maybe I should just trust him to pull it off.

My definitive answer: Maybe
Complete and utter NOMsense.