NiaD 8: Live and Let NiaD

Midnight is the absolute hard deadline. But don’t tell anyone that as any more than just a few at that time make my life harder. :slight_smile:

That said though, if anyone is coming up on the 8pm “soft” deadline and think their draft would benefit from a break for a cup of tea then another quick look over, then I’d much much* prefer people do that than send me another version at 10:45pm after I’ve already compiled an earlier version!!!

*much

GO GO GO

This one just rolled off. Was at the writing table at 6 to do a rewrite on about 300 word to meet the first person, got that done and made coffee about 6:10. Looked up and realized… I’m one at 8:30!

God I love NiaD weekend. Piggy sets a epic quest! We all do our best version of being Fordo! Then we all get to laugh at the results! It all just reminds me how grand my life is.

Oh good. I won’t spread it around, but I can barely keep my.eyes open and figure that a coherent chapter will be better than none! You’ll have it before the hard deadline, at least :slight_smile:
Sorry for making life that little more difficult!!

Do you use chapter titles, sai Piggy? I created one to keep myself focused on my piece, but I can delete it if need be.

Not “start over” but I have emailed you on one point…

And the expected rejection letter has arrived…

So having got a first draft all the way through now (which exceeds the target, thankfully) it’s painfully clear that I’ve filled in a lot on the first half of my chapter brief and not very much on the second half! I suspect the second half is important for setting up my successor, so the next task is to try and find the mental energy to put into the second bit and make it feel less like a random collection of half-baked thoughts…

It’s fun this lark, isn’t it :slight_smile:

I’m almost done! I just need to check it through once more, Maybe twice. Maybe thrice? Then get nervous about it before I click “send”.

Hey there Goth… If you think about most story archs I think you will find that the post climax portions are … deflating letdowns at best. I tend to focus on the brief the same way you do. Which is setting my chapter up base on my climax. What I started to do with this year is actually write the end first THEN write the setup. There is still more to the first part … the “fore-story” if you will … but the climax really delivers.

Now if I could only successfully apply this to other activities…

We’ll only have the chapter name and your author byline.

Understood, thank you. I’m about halfway through!

First draft all done. Now, I’m going to take an hour break, and that will leave me three hours for editing. (Hopefully, it will only take me one!)

Sorry to all writers, I didn’t mean to cause a curfuffle with my early submission, I just have a flight to get on and didn’t want miss the deadline!

Done!

This was fun and challenging, as always. Now to look back and see who else has finished. I know I’m not first, but there’s always the chance of a car accident. I can do better next time around…

I’ve finished. Just need to go through and edit the chapter and check some Chicago references.

Spent an hour in middle of the night watching YouTube videos about Chicago. I didn’t use many of them but it was necessary research. sigh.

As I was working for part of the day, I wrote my first draft in longhand from about 6am until 7.45am. This is a big deal as I am NOT a morning person.

What I want to know is, if I can do this, why can’t I finish writing my novels?
Answer: not enough planning and too much procrastination.
Having a deadline helps but am trying not to get too stressed!
:open_mouth:

I felt a bit like a cheater. I lived in the Chicago area for ten years, and was actually writing my chapter from my Sister’s house in Indianapolis. I had quite the head start.

I’ve finally submitted my chapter too! It’s obviously about a sex scene right?

Just kidding. Although it could have gone that way down the slippery slope.

I had to Google to check the weather. I hope I didn’t get that part wrong…

It’s 4:20am local time, and I submitted about 10 minutes ago.
Pigfender has now confirmed it was delivered safely and I can go to bed.
:smiley:

I was lucky. My whole scene took place inside a room. No knowledge of Chicago needed.