Passing on Scrivener for now

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:33 pm Post

Content removed by moderator upon request by the user.

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm Post

kewms wrote:Actually, paying the same amount for less functionality is a very common experience for Mac users. That's why many of us prefer Mac-first or Mac-only tools.

Katherine

My point exactly! Those of us who prefer Windows 10 over. . . Mac anything, need to either wait for L&L's release of Scrivener 3 for Windows or move on to something else. There are some very good products out there for Windows (and a few dogs LOL)!

The truth is, aside from being a bit old fashioned in appearance, the feature set for Scrivener STILL competes fairly well against the Windows competition. True, it's not as strong as it was, but it is still viable. Even though I bought Scrivener late last year, I STILL haven't decided whether or not Scrivener will be my daily 'go to' tool. I have a different, Windows-only tool that I like very much which has a slightly different feature set. At this point, I will wait until the release of "Scriv 3" for a final decision, I guess. But it is still a neck and neck competition. That doesn't mean I will 'get rid' of either, It just means I will likely decide on which to use depending on the project.

But jeez, people, be proactive instead of whining! It's just software!

kewms
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:35 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:
...paying the same amount for less functionality is a very common experience for Mac users.

I think that goes to larger, different issues and philosophies about Mac vs. Win. I'm just focusing on Scrivener, not the entire software pool.

You mentioned Android, and there is no Scrivener version for Android, so it wasn't at all clear that you were only talking about Scrivener.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:37 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:Sounds very reasonable, except most Win users don't own a Mac, and certainly don't setup dual-boot to test if two versions of the same software are different. The download page didn't mention any difference between the two versions. How could I know?

Well, you could’ve read the info on the web page with info on the Windows version. How could you miss this?
On the Mac page it says:
"Scrivener 3 is the best version of Scrivener we've ever produced, and it's available for macOS now."

On the Windows page it says:
"We're currently hard at work on Scrivener 3 for Windows (yes, we're skipping a number!). If you buy now, you'll get a free update to Scrivener 3 when it's available."

How could you interpret this as "both versions are identical although they are adapted to different operating systems"?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

kewms

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:41 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:I didn't realize the features gap until I read "Writing a novel with Scrivener" by David Hewson, where he listed the numerous features missing in the Windows version. As a CUSTOMER I feel ripped off.

Bait & Switch: the action (generally illegal) of advertising goods which are an apparent bargain, with the intention of substituting inferior or more expensive goods.

The most recent edition of Writing a Novel with Scrivener was released in 2011. It does not accurately reflect the state of either version of Scrivener.

If you would like to request a refund, you can do so here:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 pm Post

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:49 pm Post

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:56 pm Post

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:00 pm Post

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:23 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:
You mentioned Android, and there is no Scrivener version for Android, so it wasn't at all clear that you were only talking about Scrivener.

My mistake, I wasn't clear. I said Android in the scenario since L&L seems to have spent more time developing an iOS version than Win.

My advice is based on the impression you have left in that you consider L&L to be cheating you somehow, that you don't trust them to do 'the right thing' by you.

I advise you ask for a refund. And find something else from someone you find more trustworthy in your eyes. There is no reason to be this unhappy with a vendor. Life is much too short.

kewms

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:39 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:Would you consider making L&L developers' lives easier and just release the Win code on Git as open-source?

I'm not sure how it makes developers' lives easier to deprive them of compensation for their efforts.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pa
PascualLong

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:21 pm Post

kewms

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 pm Post

FamilyHandyman wrote:Aha! Definitely got me on that one, I didn't think of the financial aspect. I was thinking it seems to be more work (hassle?) for the devs, I meant maybe their lives would be easier to offload the work to open source and stick to Mac versions. Which you do very well.

The Mac and Windows versions have separate development teams. The issue for the Windows version is not so much diversion of resources by the Mac effort, as the much less accommodating Windows development environment: major parts of the Mac version -- including the text system! -- use tools that come "for free" as part of Mac OS.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Am
Amcmo

Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:53 pm Post

At the risk of copping abuse from the usual suspects, I’m sorry, but it’s a long time since I’ve seen so much whinging continue long after the situation has been explained.

1. No-one is getting ripped off. As pointed out, with the most generous free trial I’ve seen out there, anyone on the current Win version should have known what the we’re getting.
2. The current Win version is a fully functional best in (Win) class application.
3. To the Win person who bought a Mac that can’t run Mac V3 because of OS compatibility, 2010 (and some 2009) and later Macs can run Sierra so are Mac V3 compatible, so not sure what you bought, but an 8 year old device is compatible, which is pretty damned good IMHO. If your Mac is 8 yrs old or less and you’re having issues feel free to pm me.
4. Yes Win V3 has slipped, yet L&L have guaranteed anyone who purchased the old version after Nov 2017 will get a free upgrade. I’ve yet to see any other software developer offer such a generous free upgrade period.
5. Suggesting that L&L had the code over (and put their own people out of work), beggars belief.
6. Demanding release of V3 now (another thread) despite being advised of another 6 months or so in beta, again, get real. Who would be first to bitch about bugs in not ready for prime time software.
7. Staff from L&L have explained the current situation several times in this thread, yet some are still arguing the toss. Thank goodness it’s only on-line and no actual trees are being killed in the continued argument.

As mentioned several times, V3 Win development is ongoing and the current situation is what it is. Feel free to head off to someone else’s (inferior IMHO) offering if the V3 Win development schedule offends, but suggesting L&L are somehow ripping you off or being less than up front offends (at least me).

Pa
PascualLong

Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:42 am Post