Scrivener 3.1.1 - Discontinues ePub2

Thomas Rabenstein
Platform: Mac

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 am Post

Thank you very much for making Scrivener even better. I do love the dark Mode and already adore the Focus mode. I'm also in to discontinue older formats to benefit of newer ones, like ePub3 taking over for ePub2.
However, using Scrivener as my main production tool for selfpublishing, I'm now into trouble because some SP portals and sales channels like ePubli or Tolino (not sure yet about Kobo) do not (yet) accept ePub3.
So I'm not sure what to do now on my coming publication with these folks ... :shock:
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

dirkhaun
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:59 pm Post

Yeah, I'm in the same boat wrt Tolino. Maybe we should all email and tell them to go with the times and finally support current standards, such as ePub 3 ...

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:13 pm Post

For now for an easily accomplished workaround, see the following discussion link regarding Kobo. In particular, this is AmberV's instructions on how to get Scrivener 3.1. to work with ePub 2:
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/foru ... 55#p279155

EDIT: See next post by KB (< thank you) for an easier method.
Last edited by scshrugged on Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Scrivener user, not an L&L employee.

KB
Site Admin

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:57 pm Post

Wow, ePub 3 has been around for nearly five years, so I'm surprised there are still platforms out there that do not support it.

Here's an easy way to get Epub 2 support back:

1. Download and extract the attached Compile format (this is just the old "Ebook" Compile format for ePub 2/Mobi).

2. In Compile, click on the gear icon at the bottom of the Formats list and select "Import Formats...".

3. Choose to import the format into "My Formats", so that it is available for all projects.

"Epub" will become "Epub 3" and "Epub 2" will now be available again.

Basically, it's only a "soft" removal of Epub 2 support - if there are any user formats that rely on Epub 2, Epub 2 is still available. That way we aren't forcing anybody who has a project that relies on Epub 2 to change up to a new format. So by installing the old Epub 2 "Ebook" Compile format, it brings Epub 2 back.

All the best,
Keith
Attachments
Ebook-Legacy.scrformat.zip
(5.68 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Thomas Rabenstein

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:56 am Post

KB wrote:Wow, ePub 3 has been around for nearly five years, so I'm surprised there are still platforms out there that do not support it.

Hi KB,

Thank you for your answer. This helps for now.
I do also agree some portals do need to move forward and adapt the ePub3 soonest.
It about time ...
I will also mail the request to my sales channels and recommend any author, who is facing the same issue, to do it as well.

Greetings,
Thomas
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

Do
Dorothea
Platform: Windows

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:24 pm Post

KB wrote:Wow, ePub 3 has been around for nearly five years, so I'm surprised there are still platforms out there that do not support it.

Keith

Can we, who use Windows Beta, do soemthing, too, to get epub 2 back?
this here I tried and it didn't work. After importing this legacy format, Istill have only epub 3

kewms

Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm Post

Dorothea wrote:

Keith

Can we, who use Windows Beta, do soemthing, too, to get epub 2 back?
this here I tried and it didn't work. After importing this legacy format, Istill have only epub 3

Please post this in the beta forum. -- Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Do
Dorothea
Platform: Windows

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am Post

That I did.
But I got no answer.
And I suppose, there is nobody, who would know,exept ofkeith.