Spell & Grammar checker

I couldn’t put my views better.

In my experience, current grammar checkers can often prove to be the antithesis of useful - they can be ‘anti-communication’ tools.

The built-in OSX dictionary is certainly good enough for English (and perhaps the other languages it comes with). Unfortunately, the thesaurus is only available in english (and perhaps a couple of other languages?).
Now… I’m not saying that Lit&Lat should develop their own dictionaries, but I do feel its time that a number of independent developers that take advantage of OSX’s dictionaries got together and found a way/someone to implement new dictionaries. There are a few languages (portuguese for one) that have no thesaurus in OSX nor in any third party program. The only portuguese thesaurus (priberam flip - while excellent) is developed by a company that makes it compatible with Microsoft word (which already has one), but no other program.
Is there no way for independent developers to come together and put some pressure either on Apple to implement new foreign dictionaries or other companies with experience in spelling programs to provide an alternative? Lit&Lat is not alone in relying on Apple’s dictionaries, so it would make sense to lobby with the other developers for more multilingual dictionary support in OSX, or for current developers to move away from the Microsoft monopoly and allow integration with other programs…

best.
joao

If they solely use Apple’s system for spell and descriptive linguistics checking that’s a fail for the program. Any data processing program desires an honest spell and descriptive linguistics checker that you simply will modify to your desires. after all employee is regarding writing and solely writing however that doesn’t mean we have a tendency to should not serving to to enhance it and alert others to flaws within the style. I’ve ne’er found descriptive linguistics checkers to be something quite large annoyances, therefore I way back created a habit of now turning the “feature” off in any program that provides it. If Word’s works for you, then by all suggests that run your compiled document through that for polish,

:smiley: :laughing:
Hurray for spell and grammar checkers!! :laughing:

Mid '90s? I had spell and grammar check on my Mac+ in 1986.— 3rd party but I won a copy at MacWorld 1986. I don’t recall the name. MacWrite II had it in 1989.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spell_checker

My comment is more precisely for French Spell & Grammar checker. The leader on that is Druide Antidote. The fact is since the new Mojave’s security system, this app cannot integrated anymore with Scrivener. The problem is remarkable, a fantastic regression, and has already been raised in a number of forum.
I hope that this will be resolved in one way or another. It would be a pity that French language authors can be forced to abandon the use of the wonderful Scrivener to return to the despotic word.
:cry:

I don’t think there’s anything we can do about that, is there? I imagine this is down to Druide Antidode; it will need to be updated to declare its uses of Apple Events and such to Mojave’s security measures so that Mojave allows it to run correctly.

You have right ! And I have first write to Antidote. Their answer wasn’t very constructive and they encouraged me to ask to you to provide an integration. I know that’s more their job than yours…
Thanks a lot and best regards !

What I can tell you is what I had to do for Scrivener. Scrivener uses Apple Events to communicate with MathType (it launches MathType and asks it to create an equation for Scrivener). When I built Scrivener on macOS 10.14, this would no longer work - it just failed silently - because Apple’s new security measures prevented it from opening. To fix this, I had to provide the following key in Scrivener’s info.plist file:

NSAppleEventsUsageDescription

That was all it took. However, if Antidote are also “notarising” their app with Apple, they will also need to add the “Apple Events” entitlement. Unfortunately I can’t find a trial of Antidote available, so I am unable to test how it works with Scrivener myself, or to check whether it could be any of those things. (Someone else was saying that the problem was with Antidote 9 - could it just be that you need to update to Antidote 10?)

All the best,
Keith

I already own Antidote 10 and it doesn’t work either with Scrivener.
Yesterday, I write to Antidote’s help service in way to transmit your suggestion concerning Apple Events. I will complete my message with your latest clarifications on this issue. I hopes that they will take this into account and I will inform you of their possible response.
Thank a lot, Keith ! Your job is essential !

Hi !
Good news from Antidote 10. They will restore compatibility with Scrivener in a next update and before the end of the year.
All the best.

Great! Thanks for getting in touch with them and keeping us updated here.

All the best,
Keith

I’ve found that the contextual menu bug (missing spelling suggestions) only happens while working on longer documents.

For example, in Scrivener I’ll see this bug in scrivenings mode, but not in document mode; in Apple Pages, only on multi-page documents.

I think it’s a Mojave bug.

Great keep us informed when A10 is back ok with Scrivener

Update Antidote 10.1.1 is now available and fits perfectly in Scrivener !

Also check this site : grammica.com/spell-check

There is actually a good grammar and spell checker app for the mac that has been around for a very long time. (since the 90s I think.) I very rarely hear it mentioned. I works as an app that can copy and paste and spell check an entire page.

It also installs as a grammar and spell check service. It can replace the built in MacOS grammar and spell check service and be used anywhere that the built in service can be used including scrivener.

It is a one off purchase no monthly charge. It is called Grammarian Pro 3.

(Wonders why he’s responding and…still he responds! :smiley: )

A writing environment is not a word processor.

A writing environment facilitates the generation and organization of those words. The great strength of Scrivener is how it can bend to the writing process of a great many users, where that process can have great variation. Scrivener is about getting words out of the head and onto the screen/page.

Word processors focus on the particulars apart from the writing like stylesheets, citation, grammar, spelling, presentation, grade level, even usage in the previous category. They are about looks and metrics, among some others things, not creation.

I write on anything. My last concerns are of formatting and readability for others–while I am creating. To some extent these things do mix, but for the novelist, poet, playwright, songwriter, or even academic (as laden with formatting concerns as that world is) the words are the thing, first. Scrivener excels at allowing word-making.

Word processors format, industrial style. Word-making is about real toads dreaming in imaginary gardens telling the monkeys what to type :wink:

I write novels. I edit as I go, and produce between two and three thousand ‘clean’ words per day. For me, a spelling and grammar checker is vital.

I once wrote a ‘scrappy first draft’ years ago, and it’s still lying in the bottom of a drawer where it will probably stay forever, because I don’t do whole-draft rewrites any more.

I write a scene, cycle back, fix errors, fix grammar, tidy syntax, rewrite ‘clunky’ parts, then I’m off and running for the next scene. Some sections might get three passes as I write, but when I’m done six weeks later, I have a finished novel that just needs loose-end-checking and proofreading before it hits my alpha readers.

After feedback I fix anything that isn’t working, then it’s usually ready for publishing.

We all work differently. :mrgreen:

I do what you do. Scrivener accommodates that. That’s my only point.