Current: Beta - Release Candidate 7, version 22.214.171.124
Latest Beta - Release Candidate 7 Download Link
126.96.36.199 (64-bit) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Bug Fixes and Resolved Items
- Special folders should not open in Quick Reference 
- Option to open non-group items in other editor is missing 
- Drag and drop in custom metadata lists can lose items 
- Fountain import does not strip out unnecessary empty lines 
- Allow .fountain external bookmarks to preview as .txt 
- Loading Web Pages in Scrivener 
- Option to open comments in inspector if possible does not fully work 
- Default comment text not preselected in all creation methods 
- Comments do not load in composition mode after switching docs 
- Composition mode flickers and returns to main window 
- Insert menu button disables after switching documents 
- Long bookmark titles overlap 
- UI: Project Targets letter clipped 
- Options - left-pane can't be resized 
- Comments in Quick Reference windows 
- Select inline annotation or footnote is offset 
- Annotation bubble disappears when "Do not color" option ticked 
- Annotation and inline footnote include following empty lines 
- images inserted into the editor as linked to disk have wrong size 
- Clicking on links in web view should send clicks to browser 
- View Page Source on webpages no longer works 
- Default Type by Structure highlighting offsets levels by 1 
- UI: Footer divider missing for unsupported file types 
- Confusing keyboard navigation in Document Target panel 
- HiDPI: Webpages only load in top half of editor 
- Info Messages have jagged rounded corners 
- Snapshot refinements 
- Deleting all contents of word count fields should set to zero 
- HiDPI: vertical padding around format bar 
- Download web images on paste (including https) 
- Corkboard and Outliner Filtering 
- Comma separators missing in project targets 
- Comments lost when inspector locked to other editor 
- Drag and drop to Quick Reference and Bookmark toolbar icons 
- Add per-section numbering to stacked corkboard 
- Convert web page to text nonfunctional 
- Document target footer icon inconsistent for groups 
- Remove All Revisions inserts a sequence of commands into undo stack 
- Rapid toggling of composition mode crashes Scrivener 
- Back/Forward in Other Editor History shouldn't change active editor 
- Links in editor do not work 
- Cannot open second project via File Explorer or Task Bar 
- Attempt to launch second instance gives project error message 
- Drag document icons from Quick Search results 
- Quick Search should be available when not visible on the toolbar 
- CRASH - Importing / pasting websites with svg 
- Modification of section layout checkboxes reverts tab data 
- Add View\Corkboard Options\Layout menu 
- Quick Search functionality and navigation refinements 
- Option to open non-group items in other editor is missing 
- Implemented Layouts > Three Pane (Outliner) & Three Pane (Corkboard). To unhide: Layouts > Ellipses > Uncheck 'Hide Built-In Layouts in Menus'
- Improved copy and paste of webpages with images to Scrivener
We are aware of one bug (listed below) that can hang Scrivener, and zero bugs that cause data loss, so if you are aware of any other bugs that can hang Scrivener, or cause data loss, please let us know. The only crash bug we know about is:-
Merging cells in table can crash under certain conditions
If you would like to try a HiDPI version of RC7 you can download it here: 184.108.40.206 (64-bit HiDPI) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit HiDPI). The HiDPI version is the same Scrivener code, but compiled with the latest Qt 5.15 C++ framework that is supposed to better address Microsoft Windows scaling.
We'd especially appreciate feedback on how this works for those of you who have found certain dialogs (such as compile and options) too large with your screen's display scaling. The high-DPI updates have made significant improvements in our testing, and we're hoping you see the same!
Beta Release Candidate 7 expires 15th July 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
June 13th 2020