Recommendation to a Free Novel Writing Software: Manuskript

Manuskript is one of the best free and open-source novel writing software I’ve ever tried.

Link (Not a prank :smiley: ) :
theologeek.ch/manuskript/download/

Enthusiastically,
Your friendly random person.

From that very page:

(Bolding and red type choice is from the original.)

O-h-h-h-kay.

It’s written in Python.

Wow :open_mouth:

That’s impressively hard core.

Why so? My developer friends say that Python is an exquisitely lovely and easy language to write meaningful code in.

Ah, good one! The main thing is the Manuskript is totally free, and the software is accessible which means anybody can make changes to it if they wish. This means that there are likely plugins and/or add-ons to allow you to do whatever you want with the program.

Oh, it is. I’ve done some my best work in Python. And when I look at it again six months later, I still understand what it does, which is always a bonus.

I’m surprised when I see it used for GUI-heavy apps though, because it’s interpreted rather than compiled.

Still, Sublime is written in Python so …

Yeah, but there are ways around the interpreted vs. compiled thing, like pre-compiling or hooking into C/C++ routines for the speed-sensitive parts.

New Manuskript version 0.8.0 is out. :smiley:

Manuskript 0.9.0 is out! :slight_smile:

I’ve tried Manuskript over the last few days for a Laptop I loaded Linux on. ummm - there are better free novel writing tiles out there, IMO.

Bibisco, is surprisingly good, and Wavemaker shows great promise. The problem with most of the freebies is that if you’ve grown accustomed to the Scrivener way of doing things, and like that way, your options are much more limited. (Especially so for Linux!)

I think, in the end, most people come back to Scrivener. I came to writing through photography, where any app that costs less than $100 (US) is considered a bargain. I bought Scrivener with that mindset. And considering its position as the leading software of its type, it remains a bargain, I think.

The only other software of this type I would even consider is “SmartEdit Writer”, which is free, but far from perfect, it is NOT going to have all the tools Scrivener has.

Manuskript 0.10.0 released! :mrgreen:

It comes with a basic Dark Theme for Windows 10.

Oh, it is. I’ve done some my best work in Python. And when I look at it again six months later, I still understand what it does, which is always a bonus.