Snapshot questions?

mj
mjw
Platform: Mac

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:45 pm Post

Even after going through that section of the manual, I can’t figure out how to take a snapshot, can someone explain it to me?
And when you take a snapshot of a document, does it include a backup for the whole project or just that one document?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:52 pm Post

There are no snapshots in iOS Scrivener
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

mj
mjw

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 pm Post

lunk wrote:There are no snapshots in iOS Scrivener

Great....can you recommend any similar ways to protect the files on an Ipad?

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:46 pm Post

You can backup the entire project to zipped file from the projects screen.

Press Edit, select a project, press Send a Copy (on bottom 2nd from left). From there, send the zipped file wherever you like: email, cloud service, etc.

I store mine on OneDrive, with my desktop backups.
I’m just a customer.

mj
mjw

Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 pm Post

JimRac wrote:You can backup the entire project to zipped file from the projects screen.

Press Edit, select a project, press Send a Copy (on bottom 2nd from left). From there, send the zipped file wherever you like: email, cloud service, etc.

I store mine on OneDrive, with my desktop backups.

I tried that once, but couldn’t restore the zipped file to scrivener when needed.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 am Post

Do you own a PC or a Mac?
I’m just a customer.

mj
mjw

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 am Post

JimRac wrote:Do you own a PC or a Mac?

Mac

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:09 pm Post

I tried that once, but couldn’t restore the zipped file to scrivener when needed.

One would unzip the file using a utility for doing so (most often simply triggered by double-clicking on it in Finder), extracting the project from it, and then opening the project using Scrivener.

There shouldn’t ordinarily be any issues with the procedure. In fact I don’t use Dropbox, and this is very often the procedure I use (in conjunction with AirDrop) to get work back to the Mac.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

mj
mjw

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm Post

AmberV wrote:

One would unzip the file using a utility for doing so (most often simply triggered by double-clicking on it in Finder), extracting the project from it, and then opening the project using Scrivener.

There shouldn’t ordinarily be any issues with the procedure. In fact I don’t use Dropbox, and this is very often the procedure I use (in conjunction with AirDrop) to get work back to the Mac.

I tried it via FileApp....do I sent it over to the Apple file app before unzipping it?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm Post

I don’t think you can do it on an iDevice. You have to do it on your Mac, in Finder, so the unzipped project becomes a package again and can be moved back to the sync folder.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:54 pm Post

Provided one has a utility that can unzip files and send folders to other apps on their device, this is no problem. This could be used to restore from a backup or transfer a zipped project from another device.

FileApp indeed does do just that, so maybe a step was missed (and to make sure we’re on the same page here, I’m actually talking about FileApp, a free app, not Apple’s “Files” thing, which doesn’t have many features and I don’t think can even unzip files let alone send them anywhere). Here is what I tried:

1. First I created a test .zip by tapping Edit in Scrivener, selecting the Tutorial, and then tapping the “Copy to FileApp” icon.
  2. Switching over to FileApp, I navigate into the Downloads folder and located the timestamped “Tutorial 2018-08-03 17-47” file.
  3. I tap on it, and it asked if I wish to decompress it. I do so.
  4. I now have a folder called “Tutorial 2018-08-03 17-47”. I drill into that, and inside I find the “Tutorial.scriv” folder.
  5. I swipe left on it and tap the More option. This provides an “Actions” button, among many others.
  6. In the Actions sheet, I select “Open in Scrivener”.

A copy of the tutorial is sent and automatically opens. I now have two copies of the tutorial, the original and the one I just restored from backup.
Ioa Petra'ka

mj
mjw

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:16 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Provided one has a utility that can unzip files and send folders to other apps on their device, this is no problem. This could be used to restore from a backup or transfer a zipped from from another device.

FileApp indeed does do just that, so maybe a step was missed (and to make sure we’re on the same page here, I’m actually talking about FileApp, a free app, not Apple’s “Files” thing, which doesn’t have many features and I don’t think can even unzip files let alone send them anywhere). Here is what I tried:

1. First I created a test .zip by tapping Edit in Scrivener, selecting the Tutorial, and then tapping the “Copy to FileApp” icon.
  2. Switching over to FileApp, I navigate into the Downloads folder and located the timestamped “Tutorial 2018-08-03 17-47” file.
  3. I tap on it, and it asked if I wish to decompress it. I do so.
  4. I now have a folder called “Tutorial 2018-08-03 17-47”. I drill into that, and inside I find the “Tutorial.scriv” folder.
  5. I swipe left on it and tap the More option. This provides an “Actions” button, among many others.
  6. In the Actions sheet, I select “Open in Scrivener”.

A copy of the tutorial is sent to the device and automatically opens. I now have two copies of the tutorial, the original and the one I just restored from backup.

Perfect! I did miss a few steps. Thanks!

SnakeDoc
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 pm Post

Question about Snapshot -

How do I tell which version I'm working on, if I'd rolled back to a previous snapshot?

E.G. - Took a snapshot before making changes. Make changes, and take a new snapshot to make changes yet again. I decide I want to disregard these changes and roll back to the original snapshot - How do I know that is the version I am working on, especially if I revisit that document days or weeks later?

Thanks in advance.

S.D.

P.S.
I guess another question would be, is there a way to view/review or have the changes made in snapshots highlighted for comparison or easy reference in any way?

AmberV

Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 pm Post

Snapshots are named copies of your text that have been set aside and cannot be edited. You cannot work “on a version”, as that would defeat the purpose of having an immutable snapshot set aside. There is only one editable copy of your text, and that is what you see in the main text editor.

As for comparison, you’ll find documentation on the matter in §13.6.4, Comparing Changes with Main Text, pg. 336. Optionally, §15.8.4, Comparing Changes in the Editors, may also be of interest.
Ioa Petra'ka

SnakeDoc
Platform: Windows

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:30 am Post

Thank you Amber.

I am going through the tutorial - and it seems that if I roll back to a previous snapshot, I am then working on the (what I've taken upon myself to label), "version". So If I'd rolled back two snapshots, and I come back at a later time and see 3 total snapshots taken. How am I to know which "version" I am currently working with? I can't assume it's the latest version, because I'd rolled back to a previous one? or am I completely missing something here, I've tried it, and my scenario plays out .. I'd rolled back to a snapshot prior to the latest one taken, But I see no way to tell which I'm working with.

Let's say snapshot one has a character Steve in it. (Or numerical data that is not so easily recognizable)
Snapshot two has Phillip
Snapshot three - Andrew
and snapshot four has Craig.
I roll back to the version (snapshot two) of the document that has Phillip in it. But the most recent snap shot is Craig .. So if I return to this document, how am I to know which I am working with - because it's not the most recent - it could be any rolled back snapshot (version)

I feel I'd gotten long winded
Thank you.