Anyone else using the BETA for their work?

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:36 pm
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm Post

Anyone else out there using the BETA full bore for their work? I haven't noticed anything groundbreaking that would prevent me from just using the BETA from here on out until 3.0 is released. Then re-register/buy or whatever is required of me. Does anyone feel that there will be a problem between saves from now until; then, because I'm really liking the new interface! Thanks!

User avatar
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 am
Platform: Windows

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 am Post

I was halfway through my current book in the old version of Scrivener when I installed the 3.0 beta, and continued the project with it. My first draft target date is July 24th, at which time I will do a second draft, then compile it as a Word doc and send it to my editor. She usually takes about a month to get her edits back to me, and I'm hoping that the final version of 3.0 will be out by then, or at least a RC. If not, I figure I can just compile the final version in Word and do all the titles, page numbers, etc. in InDesign. I've laid out books without Scrivener in the past, and I can do it again.

I do like the interface of 3.0 and hope it's finished soon. I love Scrivener.


Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:40 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:53 am Post

The problem is that Scrivener 3 isn't backwards-compatible, so if the beta stops working for some reason, you won't be able to continue and you might lose your work altogether. I'm not that brave.

Posts: 251
Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 7:39 pm
Platform: Windows

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:20 pm Post

I've been using the Win Beta 2906 since it came out for a novel and a whole whack of short stories. I did the same for a v1 beta (don't remember which one, now).

What I did both times was to take a look at the number of bugs reported in this forum. When the reported new bugs were reduced to what appeared to me to be a reasonable number, and the reports came with less frequency, I began using the newer BETA versions without problems. It worked for me. Of course, your own mileage may vary, and I'm certainly not recommending it by any stretch.

It's mid-July now, and a replacement BETA will be coming out at the end of the month. Obviously I'll be taking advantage of that, too. Again, I'm not recommending it. I'm merely reporting the decision-making process that worked for me.

L&L for Windows has continued to be my go-to platform for writing since December, 2011. I believe v1 was $U40.00 at at that time. Eight years. Forty bucks. Talk about ROI. Thank you to all involved in the L&L software development program.

Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:05 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:40 am Post

Only with a copy of one that I'm not afraid of loosing. For like many there are still problems and has been posted to Use At Your Own Risk for 'important' work.

As I've covered 'supposably' :wink: :wink: with getting the new version working on that copy should pose no prob as publishing is still months if not a year away as other stories are in the pipe.
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

User avatar
Posts: 2085
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm
Platform: Linux

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 pm Post

Yup, I am. But I'm also not writing anything currently that requires absolute security, like a dissertation.
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

User avatar
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:12 pm Post

I am... But I also have access to the iOS and Mac versions so I have more security. Even so, its stuff for my own use rather than public consumption.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

[b]Windows 10
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Windows Beta

Posts: 89
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm
Platform: Windows

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:39 pm Post

I am -- happily, and with no issues thus far. Other than a couple of minor distractions standard for beta products, I find it a much more enjoyable working environment than v1 and since my work is nothing that would shake the earth if it were lost, I'm happy to take the risk.

I do try and copy/paste the day's work over to a Scrivener 1 document for backup when I clock off for the day, just for peace of mind, though I can happily say I've never yet needed it.

Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:38 am
Platform: Windows

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:03 pm Post

Yes. I have too much I want to write and I don't want to have to re-learn Scrivener when v3 is released (and it is quite a leap from 2). I'm not really worried about losing work or anything. I think it is too close to being ready for release to have any really dangerous bugs. I've written over 100,000 words with it this year and it hasn't crashed once, nor have I lost anything. Some features are not quite ready yet, such as within compile, but I don't need them yet anyway.

Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 30, 2017 1:17 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:50 pm Post

Same here! Went to Windows from Mac, and didn't want to mess around with changing versions later. It's been working fine so far. I'm not too worried about the beta-ness, hasn't been an issue for me. -billb

Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:56 pm
Platform: Mac

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:17 pm Post

I am. But only on my work laptop. My main computer at home is a Mac and I use drop box. A lot of redundancy.

Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:00 pm
Platform: Windows

Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:44 am Post

Myself and my girlfriend are. Both working on Creative Writing MA dissertations. We are backing up and exporting to word though, just in case!

Looking forward to more features coming online, bugs being ironed out.

Great software.

Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 am Post

Have they allowed any of the betas to expire? I.e., should I be concerned that this beta expires in a week (or less) and there's no new beta yet? I haven't paid that close of attention as to how near the deadline they get...

User avatar
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:06 am Post

KevinJWangler wrote:Have they allowed any of the betas to expire? I.e., should I be concerned that this beta expires in a week (or less) and there's no new beta yet? I haven't paid that close of attention as to how near the deadline they get...

Usually they release the new beta 1-2 days before the expiration of the previous beta.
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am Post

I do.
And I don't see, why there should be any risk. As before, the filse are nicely saved as rtf. So, if ever thre would be a crash, the rtf-files are always accesilble from "outside". And what is great now, they are stored in a folder togehetr with their document notes and synopsis. That's veven progress

The only problem is the bud that prevents from compiliing the finishd book into mobi . So that needs a way around then.. Hopefully thy get there soon.