Anything else I could use instead of lists, numberings to sort thoughts?

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 am Post

Is there a substitute, anything else I could use instead of lists, numberings to sort thoughts:

And how could I get more than a single row, e.g. the marked ones, one (or more) level higher / lower / to the left / right (instead of doing in manually with each single row):
Windows 10, 64bit

DavidR

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:17 pm Post

I'm not quite sure what you're aiming at, Biff. But, if you're wanting a way of listing, organizing, and developing ideas about your project, it seems to me that the obvious way in Scrivener would be to create a document, called, say "Thoughts," and then create one sub-document beneath it for every thought. If any one thought needs multiple sub-thoughts (so to speak), these could then be developed as sub-documents beneath it. You could even create a whole new Binder item called "Thoughts" and manage them this way. All of this would allow for hierarchical organization, rearrangement, and more or less infinite development of the thoughts. But I may not be understanding what you're after.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm Post

Use a mindmap. Export as opml and import into Scrivener
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 pm Post

Thank you , David.

But, if you're wanting a way of listing, organizing, and developing ideas about your project, it seems to me that the obvious way in Scrivener would be to create a document, called, say "Thoughts," and then create one sub-document beneath it for every thought.

So using Scrivener the usual way with documents, sub docs, sub sub docs and so on, I assume:

Building such structure that way might be is a bit too laborious and I would have to open each doc to see its content.

Such lists
generally are quite good too handle (may be there is a better way anyway), give a good overview, but when you want to change the hirachical structure / the level of more than one item you have to do it one by one instead of changing all of the items to be changed in a single step:
instead of
Windows 10, 64bit

Bi
Biff

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:02 pm Post

Thank you, lunk,

Didn't know that is possible, works quite well after some tries, might be a bit circuitous, I will try it in everyday life.

The structure built in such a mind mapping program will Scrivener import into the Binder and keep / try to keep that build like it is in that program, so rebuild the structure with docs and folders. There is no other way to import that structure, to build it in Scrivener, I assume.
Windows 10, 64bit

Silverdragon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 pm Post

Export your outline from your mind mapping app (or, for that matter, outlining app) in OPML format. Import into Scrivener. It will show up as a new root level folder with all its internal hierarchy in folders within.

As an alternative, may I suggest you investigate Outliner Mode display in the editor? I know it's available in the Windows version, and there are keyboard shortcuts for moving selected groups of docs around (indent, dedent, move up the outline, move down the outline, etc.)
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 14.1

Bi
Biff

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:49 pm Post

Thank you!

As an alternative, may I suggest you investigate Outliner Mode display in the editor? I know it's available in the Windows version, and there are keyboard shortcuts for moving selected groups of docs around (indent, dedent, move up the outline, move down the outline, etc.)

Yes, that's right. Alright, I will try to. The Outliner Mode display shows the same (structure) like the Binder does, if I see it right. And handles the items the same like the Binder does. What does that mode do better than the Binder does (regarding the structure)?

Export your outline from your mind mapping app (or, for that matter, outlining app) in OPML format. Import into Scrivener. It will show up as a new root level folder with all its internal hierarchy in folders within.

And that structure I could show and edit in the Outliner Mode display or doing it the same way in the Binder, I assume.
Windows 10, 64bit

Silverdragon

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:10 pm Post

The Outliner Mode can show a LOT more of the title (i.e. the primary thought.)Just make the Title column wider. It can also show the synopsis beneath the title (think notes on an outline item.) It can also show all the document metatdata in additional columns (keywords, status, label, etc.) modified dates, word counts and target word counts... lots of stuff. In addition, at least on Mac, you can split the editor and set it up so that when you select an item in the outline, it loads the document underneath into the split-off editor. So that, in fact, you can work from outline to finished document.

I didn't use outline mode much at first, myself, but now I use it for almost all my work except the initial conceptual stages.
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 14.1

Bi
Biff

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:39 pm Post

OK, I will try out that mode in this regard, try to use it instead of such lists.

Many thanks.
Windows 10, 64bit

Bi
Biff

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 am Post

What is the difference between an outliner program and a mind mapping one?
Windows 10, 64bit

lunk

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 am Post

One creates an outline, the other a mind map. If you search the web for the two you’ll see.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Bi
Biff

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am Post

Ah, okay, it's getting clearer now.

Thank you, lunk.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ma
Major Major

Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:26 pm Post

Hmm. I just tried importing a Scapple OPML file into Scrivener, and didn't see it appear anywhere. WHere does it typically land, at the top of the binder?

Bi
Biff

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:51 pm Post

If I remember it right it lands underneath the marked item in the Binder.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ma
Major Major

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 pm Post

Biff -

Hmm - not seeing it. Does it matter whether you import as Synopsis, MainText (with Synopsis), Notes (with Synopsis) or Titles only? (And what are all those options, anyway?)