Scrivener / Git / GitHub / Terminal

I’ve read 17 pages of search for “Git”. Hoping to get a little wisdom and summing up, and to put it in my little Scriv-Git-Pages booklet. https://ronjeffries.github.io/scriv-git-pages/index.html

It would be useful (I imagine) to put the current Scrivener project up in the files area of the scriv-git-pages GitHub, so that people could pull it down and rummage around looking at the settings and such. So the topic here is to get some advice and wisdom on the best way to do that.

The whole project is now automated out of Scrivener, including a Ruby script loosely based on Ioa’s LaTeX / Pandoc example. I compile, all the files are generated, and I do the commit and push manually (because I feel that humans need to feel that they are a part of things).

I’m about to add a current copy of my splitter script to the automation: I’ll just copy it from its bin directory into the git repo and it’ll update if and when it changes. Just right

Now about the Scrivener project, whose live copy is in Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener where it belongs. I can copy it manually with cp -R, and doubtless I can do that in my script (if no other way, by executing the command out of Ruby).

HOWEVER: Git recognizes the .scriv file as a directory (was news to me), and is going to happily push that new directory and its contents up to GitHub.

What I don’t know is whether people who download it will be able to get that back looking like a scrivener project. Will it “just work” or not? I could, I suppose, zip up the file and put it up that way. Not sure if I could automate the zipping part or not.

Advise me, please?

I’d recommend zipping up the project. It is indeed a folder, with several subfolders, and you want to make sure that people get the whole thing.

Katherine

Yes, zipping makes sense from a number of angles. I’ll have to see whether I can find a way of triggering a zipping from my Ruby script.

Are Scrivener files compatible between Windows and Mac?

The current release of Win Scrivener uses the Mac Scrivener 2.9 format. It can’t open Scrivener 3 projects. On the other hand, from what I’ve been reading, it sounds like you’re relying on capabilities that didn’t exist prior to Scrivener 3.

Katherine

Yes I am becoming more and more into S3. If Windows people are left behind for a while, so be it. :slight_smile:

Hehehe :smiley: