Scrivener 3.0.0 has been released
Read the official news page.
If you are using a beta version of Scrivener, you are encouraged to switch over to the official version before it expires. To do so, you should export your settings with File ▸ Options..., and click on the “Manage” button in the lower left corner. The “Save Options to File” command will back up all of your preferences to a file.
After uninstalling the beta, download the official version and run the installer. Once you get it running, you can use the same “Manage” button to load your settings back in.
Note: the install folder has changed to C:\Program Files\Scrivener3, to avoid potential for confusion with the version 1 install folder.
We’d like to thank everyone for participating in the beta program! Whether you posted bug reports, suggestions, helped others learn the software, or simply came around now and then to chat, your contribution to the project has been appreciated.
⠂─────── ⟢⟡⟣ ─────── ⠂
Original beta post follows.
Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
- Move Edit - Character Map into Edit - Writing Tools - Character Map 
- Adjust default volume setting and indicate when muted 
- Corkboard Drag-And-Drop in Labels mode does not update the move/drop position 
- Crash when dragging onto corkboard label view 
- Having multiple selection and switching to Scrivenings mode does not update the Inspector 
- Add before-paragraph spacing to document suffix 
- Compile - Missing separator before as-is documents 
- Padding will break $pageGroupTitle and $pageGroupParentTitle placeholders in PDF headers/footers 
- Remove the <$char_name> placeholder and polish text within the Scrivener-Placeholders PDF 
- Insert title as run in not copied in section layouts 
- Add $p-r and $P-R placeholder 
- Updated Tutorial
- Updated User Manual
- Updated Templates
- Paddle upgrade and checkout testing and fixes
Beta Release Candidate 21 expires 31st March 2021.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
March 19th 2021