Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 39, version 126.96.36.199
Latest Beta 39 Download Link
188.8.131.52 (64-bit) | 184.108.40.206 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 39. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The fixes and changes from Beta 38 to Beta 39 are listed below.
- Document notes should not paste text with indents and tabs 
- Move Left/Right should indent list items 
- Copying and pasting from Word results in a 6.5" right margin 
- Session Targets does not reset 
- Quick search does not work 
- Page View Display Issue With Zoom 
- Deleting folders from trash crashes Scrivener 
- Images linked to documents export with UUIDs for file names instead of binder title 
- Importing legacy format changes compile file type 
- Annotations pane for MMD and Pandoc appears to have no effect on the output 
- Opening marker for annotations ignored on HTML and ebook compile 
- The "Open compiled document in default application" setting opens folder 
- Markdown output converts bold and italics 
- Markdown output without RTF conversion flag converts bold and italics LH#3440 
- Alternate methods of layout selection not available 
- Predefined window layouts LH#2665 
- Scrivenings titles should scale along with text when zoomed 
- RTF pasteboard is not populated 
- Editor displays incorrect characters per inch 
- Typo in Appearance Options composition mode synopsis 
- Project Statistics runs Compile Multiple Times 3679]
- Project Stats progress bar should not show for few documents 
- Fix Project Statistics Compile tab calculations 
- Statistics is calculating Averages using characters instead of words 
- Options > Appearance > Default editor width > Use Current does not get the proper current width 
- Page View right border glitch 
- Page View "Zoom"s incorrectly 
- In Scriptwriting entering Tab on an empty line inserts faulty extra empty line 
- PageView ruler is broken on non-highdpi displays 
- Page View: Ruler does not match paper size 
- The custom extension setting for plain-text compile output doesn't work LH#3864 
- Compile option to treat preserve formatting as raw markup is nonfunctional LH#3970LH#3970 
- Uppercase placeholders should be replaced with uppercase text 
- Script mode general text cannot insert Tab 
- Compile Layout preview tiles missing titles 
- Settings: Appearance: Binder - use bold font options for containers 
- Unstyled italic markers added to styled italic text 
- Compile - Styles - Treat as raw markup is nonfunctional 
- Extension field in plain-text compiler format designer does not function 
- Compile - Transformations - option to escape XML 
- Appended extension label reads incorrectly for Markdown-based formats 
- Cursor drawing regression in Beta 37 
- Front and Back Matter should duplicate along with new Format 
- Imported Fountain files use non-breaking spaces 
- Character style suffixes should be weaker than paragraph style suffixes 
- Scrivenings title labels should replace highlight background 
- Settings: Appearance: Scrivenings - use title background colour is nonfunctional 
- Ruler uses 1/6 inch markings instead of 1/8th 
- Importing a legacy compile preset should not delete it 
Beta 39 expires 1st March 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Feb 18th 2020