Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 40, version 188.8.131.52
Latest Beta 40 Download Link
184.108.40.206 (64-bit) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 40. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The last few betas have had Scrivener shaping up nicely, largely due to conquering the Windows mixed-vendor-world of crazy DPI variations and OS zooming. In beta 40, at last, we believe we have compilation of Styles on par with Mac, full implementations of Multimarkdown and Pandoc, and excellent plain text compilation of screenplays etc.. The fixes and changes from Beta 39 to Beta 40 are listed below.
- Fixed Width Editor Background does not apply when a theme is loaded 
- Page View: Ruler does not match paper size 
- Plain text transformation option to convert formatting to whitespace 
- Writing History uses wrong session target text 
- Missing ability to import an upgraded projects legacy compile preset 
- Option for Composition Mode Background Texture inoperable 
- Annotations pane for MMD and Pandoc appears to have no effect on the output 
- Toggling Page View does not update the status bar 
- Dragging docs from another project into Outliner View does not update the pane 
- Compile Designer Transformation pane not visible for ePub3 
- Pandoc outputs seems to be by and large in a placeholder state 
- Markup compile format pane is still a placeholder 
- Page View Display Issue With Zoom 
- Deleting folders from trash crashes Scrivener 
- Alt-clicking binder row should load doc in other editor 
- Import Scrivener v1 Compile Presets 
- Show initial note text in collapsed comment/footnote 
- Styles are not functionally handled by the compiler with layout overrides in use 
- LinkID should evaluate from all contexts, and function as a linked placeholder 
- LinkID should be a simple numerical counter 
- Further improvements to importing legacy format changes compile file type 
- Scrivenings title labels should replace highlight background 
Beta 40 expires 10th March 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Feb 25th 2020