I spent the most useful 99$ in a long time.

Please do be aware that educational licensees are not eligible for upgrade discounts on future versions. They are eligible for educational discounts, assuming they still qualify at the time of purchase.

Also, there is a limit on the number of activations per license. Ordinary users are unlikely to run into it, but ‘sharing’ your license key is likely to come back and bite you: if/when you hit the limit, the oldest activations will be disabled.

Katherine

Upgrade pricing: The update to Scrivener 3 is free for users who bought Scrivener 2 on or after 20th August 2017, and $25 for users who purchased any version of Scrivener for macOS before that. The upgrade fee is the same for both the regular and education licences. Only users who purchased from our store, or from a reseller that provides activation through our store (such as Amazon), are eligible for discounted update pricing on this page.
[URL removed, as the upgrade arrangements have changed]

I think the limit is on both versions (regarding Number of activation), one should not share his license at all regardless of its type weather educational or regular. support literature and latte and spread the word and only share the store link :smiley:

I italicized the relevant part of Katherine’s response – “future version” meaning the versions beyond v3, which has already been discounted for users who purchased a v2 license within the required time window. Here is how I understand it:

If I as a normal user bought Scrivener 1 for Mac, I would have received the upgrade pricing for v2, and the upgrade pricing for v3, and will (presumably) receive the upgrade pricing for a future v4.

If I had bought the v2 license with an educational discount within the August 2017 timeframe, I would have gotten the free upgrade to v3, but I would not be eligible for the upgrade pricing for a future v4. The discounts don’t stack.

I believe there are a couple of other situations where Scrivener users may acquire licenses that are not eligible for the upgrade discount.

Upgrade pricing: The update to Scrivener 3 is free for users who bought Scrivener 2 on or after 20th August 2017,
so it must be bought at/or after 20 August not all days of August for both regular and educational licenses (for example 19 August is not eligible for the free upgrade as I understand)

Upgrade pricing: The update to Scrivener 3 is free for users who bought Scrivener 2 on or after 20th August 2017, and $25 for users who purchased any version of Scrivener for macOS before that. The upgrade fee is the same for both the regular and education licenses.

upgrade fee to 3 from 2 is the same for both regular and educational old users licenses (before August 20), so why wouldn’t upgrade to 4 will be the same for both versions in the future?

Can you clarify these situations?, I can not find any.

I have asked people who work more directly with the sales side of things to clarify. The wording seems to differ from what the store actually does.

Katherine

Can you clarify further Katherine ?
thank you for interest

literatureandlatte.com/foru … 100#p24100

literatureandlatte.com/foru … 500#p97500

I contacted Sales here at L & L, this is their response :

There is absolutely no difference between the academic licence and the standard licence other than you get a 12.5% discount. The licence you receive when you buy is identical to the one you would receive if you bought the regular licence, and there are no restrictions on use any more than on the regular licence

The only difference arises when it comes to a cross-grade discount. Standard or regular licensing allows you a 15% discount when purchasing a standard licence for Scrivener on the other platform. This isn’t true if you’ve bought a discounted educational licence, as you can simply purchase an educational licence for the other platform too.

That isn’t the question, though. Yes, the educational license gives you exactly the same functionality.

The question was, if you buy an educational license now, will you be eligible for the upgrade discount to Scrivener 4. I believe the answer is no.

Katherine

well, there is no talk about this anywhere may be one of L & L staff can clarify. I think it is too early to think about version 4 now.

It’s not too early to think of Scrivener 2 → Scrivener 3 upgrades, though, which are the same situation.

In any case, I’ve clarified with the head of sales that yes, educational licensees are entitled to upgrade discounts.

If any readers of this thread were told otherwise, please send an email with a copy of your receipt to the sales support address: sales@literatureandlatte.com

Katherine

True … I’ve just done this for a former student in China, now a lecturer there. However, the discount is on the full price, not a discount on the educational price, which was fine by me. No complaints.

Mark

Fair enough :slight_smile:

Educational licences are eligible for discounted update pricing, just the same as the regular version. Scrivener 2 users who purchased using the educational discount have been updating to Scrivener 3 at the $25 update price just the same as regular licence holders, and the same will be true in the future (not that I’m even thinking about Scrivener 4 yet!). The only difference is with cross-grades, as mentioned up-thread. Other than that one minor difference, the only difference between the educational and regular licences are the price.

Katherine, can you please point me to where a different impression is given? We’ll need to fix that.

asd937 - many thanks for the kind words! I’m glad you are finding value in Scrivener and Scapple, and welcome to the forums!

All the best,
Keith

Not in our published materials, as far as I know. There were a few cases through the support queue. – Katherine

Thanks to you Keith for clarification.

just got the ios Scrivener version, working great, I think I will not get a new laptop soon, as I can use ios version on the go. I wish for ios Scapple now
Thanks L & L

Hello,

I’m about to buy Scrivener for Windows. Are standard version and educational version include same content ?

Best,
Nicolas

Didn’t you read this thread?
There are no standard an educational versions, only different prices for the same product.

Oh yes I just read it was answered above… thank you for the answer.