Current: Beta - Release Candidate 9, version 188.8.131.52
Latest Beta - Release Candidate 9 Download Link
184.108.40.206 (64-bit) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Bug Fixes and Resolved Items
- Project template categories have UI duplication and clean-up issues 
- Running with logging freezes loading spell checker engine 
- Use of the Convert to Default Text Formatting command strips styles 
- KindleGen log file option does not produce log file 
- RegEx in project search non-functional 
- Right-Click within a Collection selects a wrong item 
- Insert Tab or Return character 
- Search operators failing with straight quote 
- Bring back compiling to ePub 2 functionality 
- Comments do not delete 
- Quick Search functionality and navigation refinements 
- Script elements retains formatting past Tab delimiter 
- Script format tab setting saves incorrectly 
- Initial selection in the project Search Collection is lost. 
- Compiling with the "Draft" folder is not treated as a complete manuscript 
- File > Print Current Document always uses default printer 
- Changing the paragraph text formatting causes changes in the previous block text formatting. 
- Compile - Footnotes - match body indents setting is nonfunctional 
- Application of styles lacking font-family declaration should not change font family 
- Compile Does Not Retain Front Matter Selection 
- Scratchpad plain text editor does not use Options colors 
- Implement new Snapshots Manager 
- Photograph titles font setting is nonfunctional 
- Compile - Document Title Links - should only appear when relevant 
- Exiting Composition Mode can cause Resizing Issue 
- "Add indent per outline level" Transformations compile option is nonfunctional 
- Navigation requirements for Quick Search 
- Add "Fixed Row Height" Option to Outliner 
- List formatting not properly retained cross-platform 
- Add FDX and Fountain support to Import & Split 
- Implement RegExp2 throughout 
- Compile Replacements Not Working 
- Document Find > Replace All not working 
- Styled list text overlaps bullet in ebook 
- Cannot edit custom metadata within a Quick Reference window 
- Invert drag and drop of a document functionality 
- Mac extended palette colors improvements 
- Line Spacing Shortcuts cause lines to Overlap 
- Remove "By Character" snapshot comparison option 
- "Remove from Project Bookmarks" does not update all bookmark location 
- Copy row formatting in compile 
- Right click in the Binder clears multiple selection 
- Change .bak to -bak for automatic backups 
- Copying and pasting formatting overwrites standard clipboard 
- Project Targets should not be resizable 
- Some Inspector top icons are not removed when viewing non-text files 
- Minor list of adjustments to Navigation menu 
- Inspector Mode shortcuts not working in Composite view. 
- Project search highlighting fails on text with embedded quote marks 
- Right-Click on a Bookmark within the Quick Ref window loads the bookmark, but should not 
- Some shortcuts not working in Quick Reference windows 
- Compile filtering lacks ability to select by custom metadata 
- Window/Keep Quick Reference Panels on Top should be "Float Quick Reference Panels" 
- Create Ruler Icons as SVG 
- Compile Padlock Icons too dark (default theme) 
- Copy as Markdown should ignore strikethrough 
- Keyboard shortcut fixes & new schemes for v3 & Mac-like shortcuts on Windows. See Options > Keyboard > Import... 
- Polish the Textual Marks > Find/Search options and labels 
- Display invisible characters in all find/search widgets in view & edit modes
We are aware of one bug (listed below) that can hang Scrivener, and zero bugs that cause data loss, so if you are aware of any other bugs that can hang Scrivener, or cause data loss, please let us know. The only crash bug we know about is:-
Merging cells in table can crash under certain conditions
If you would like to try a HiDPI version of RC8 you can download it here: 18.104.22.168 (64-bit HiDPI) | 22.214.171.124 (32-bit HiDPI). The HiDPI version is the same Scrivener code, but compiled with the latest Qt 5.15 C++ framework that is supposed to better address Microsoft Windows scaling.
We'd especially appreciate feedback on how this works for those of you who have found certain dialogs (such as compile and options) too large with your screen's display scaling. The high-DPI updates have made significant improvements in our testing, and we're hoping you see the same!
Beta Release Candidate 9 expires 15th Sept 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
August 14th 2020