Scrivener + Scapple ... writing and mapping on the same application

To expand a little on what Ioa said, if you want MindNode-like behavior, use a true mind-mapping program. Such programs create a clearly-defined hierarchical structure, which can usually be exported to OPML, and from there imported to Scrivener.

But that’s not Scapple’s goal.

Katherine

While I agree that there are benefits in Scapple being its own lite and tight mind mapper, one would think that the output would at least be fully interoperable with multiple levels of outliner into Scrivener - if nothing else, because both tools are by the same company.

It just seems to me to be an oversight that is relatively easy to fix in Scapple’s export function - the multi-level export doesn’t even need to be perfect … e.g. if there are complex nodes linked together, the export can skip the exceptions - go for 80/20 rule here! The MindNode tool does a perfect job of preserving the levels on an export … I just like the Scapple look-n-feel much better than MindNode.

BINGO!

I’m okay with 80/20 Rule - get the easy level 1,2,3 and any double connected can be dropped.

Okay, so this was a brilliant idea! - Yes, selecting and dragging one or MORE nodes from Scapple App into the Scrivener App Outliner (or Cork-board) works well - it’s not automatic, but it is a good work-around for now. I was able to select all the sub-nodes in Scapple and drag them over to Scrivener on a second monitor and drop directly into the Outline where I wanted them to go!

L-n-L, please consider updating the Scapple Export - it would be super-mega-ultra-awesome to have a mind map input to a script!

What do you recommend (for the MacOS) - I don’t really like MindNode.

BTW - For me Scapple is great except the interoperability of the export levels to Scrivener. Personally, I would have made the corkboard in Scrivener do what Scapple does - a natural extension of the “free-form” corkboard feature that was just added. I am assuming Scapple was more of an experimental App that might one day be included in Scrivener (total speculation on my part).

I use Scapple precisely because it doesn’t have a strict hierarchy. But I don’t generally need to turn a map into Scrivener documents, either: the planning I do in Scapple is generally more granular – down to the paragraph or even sentence level – than my Scrivener outline.

Yes, the idea of Scapple one day being included in Scrivener is total speculation. The idea has come up before and been rejected as out of scope for both programs.

Katherine

Hi again. Nice discussion here :slight_smile:
Well, I also dont advise into making Scapple hierarquical like the others. Thats not its point and I ike its free form way of working. For hierarquical mapping, I use another app.
I just wanted a more direct - aka lazy - way of working in Scapple inside scrivever. As for linking, each binder item would have its scapple map.
The cardboard view suggestion also seems very nice.

The problem is that the Binder is hierarchical. So it’s easy to say that each Scapple note should map to a Binder item, but where do those items go relative to each other? Even if they just come across as a flat list, the order matters more in the Binder than it does in Scapple.

Katherine

I think bmsc… was just saying that each doc would have its own map space – in the same way each doc has its own document notes. That is, in the OP’s wish there was no suggestion that the nodes in the maps relate in any way to the Binder structure. That was, I take it, the whole point of his/her last post.

Even if every note had a “Scapple board” tab in the inspector in the same sense that it had a “Notes” tab, that still would not solve the main problems with smashing two different programs together into the same window (see point one).

I think the best answer is still to use Bookmarks—which does just about everything you could want from this kind of integration, that is feasible. You get a preview in the sidebar if that is what you really want, but if you want to modify or edit this thing (which evidently has no connection to any data in Scrivener and is a complete disconnected data model that has no inherent benefit in being in Scrivener) then you double-click the bookmark instead of single clicking it. :slight_smile: Easy—and it works just as well for Excel spreadsheets too, or whatever else you need.

Yes, that was it. Thanks gr for putting things more clear, I guess. No intention to make things complicated. Each binder item would have its embedded xml Scapple map, as it has, for example, a notes pane.
But, I agree, it may be overwhelming just to save a few clicks – with bookmarks one can get from one place to another, but sometimes, a tighter integration makes all the difference.

Just my 5c :slight_smile:

This is brilliant! I did not know really what Bookmarks were for until you mentioned them - Just tried it with a Scapple file and presto - what a great way to access mind maps! Thanks. :smiley:

Thanks. I didn’t realized it was possible to preview the file as is. Was I distracted or Scrivener 2 didn’t have this? Anyway, thanks, I don’t mind double clicking to edit the map – I was more worried by having to open it in an external program just to see its contents.

Thanks everyone!

It’s a new feature in Scrivener 3. In the previous version there was something functionally similar to the top half of this pane, called “References”, but it was just a simple list at the bottom of the inspector. In this version there is now a whole pane for them, which provides enough space to show a preview of files—or if the Bookmark points to another text item inside the project, a fully-featured editor.

Still haven’t got the time to check Scrivener 3 as it deserves :slight_smile:

This work fantastic! Combining Bookmarked Scapple maps with the Drag-n-Drop from Scapple-to-Scrivener Binder is all I needed. Thanks ! :smiley:

Hi

I’d love to be a proper writer but I’m just starting out. After a year or so creating fanfic for fan generated quests in a sandboxy space sim, I’m looking towards creating ‘proper’ stories. I’ve looked at what writing software is available and finally settled on and bought Scrivener (to replace yWriter) and am looking at Scapple (to replace Freemind).

I’ve enjoyed this thread, It has reminded me of the developing dialogue in many other threads covering a lot of different types of software.

These are just my thoughts … The developers have created particular pieces of software that behaves in unique ways. It doesn’t do everything some users want so they suggest changing it so that it becomes more like other existing software, even though that would require lots of effort on behalf of the developer.

Just because one developer produces two programmes I don’t intuitively understand why that means they have to be completely integrated or even integrable (is that a word?). Scapple is what Scapple is, which is why I’m looking at trying it. If the suggested changes are made, then Scapple would no longer be Scapple.

Given that I would be able to drag and drop bits of info that I need at any given time between the programs I’ve got a work around for the problem of using both programmes together easily - I’ve got two monitors (monitors are cheap!) so can have four programmes open side by side.

So my request is that the developers put their efforts into completing Scrivener V3 for Windows first, given that Scapple’s role is to support Scrivener rather than vice versa

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the supportive comments, DaveK, and best wishes for your aspirations in branching out to other forms of writing.

P.S. I love space sims, especially those that allow for emergent narratives from the players. :slight_smile:

I just love this thread, but PLEASE don’t touch Scapple!

It’s perfect the way it’s working!

For what it is worth, I have had this idea as well. In my world, I need less “extra” work and need the apps to take care of things. E.g. I use the Aeontimeline as my project management/calendar only because each “event” can automatically be connected directly to a scrivener page. Aeontimeline is just a view of what I am doing in Scrivener, it isn’t an app I have to maintain or “work hard in” (except for auto accepting changes that I hope they fix soon). I don’t want another app contained in Scrivener, but I do need the Scapple functionality for brainstorming and visioning that needs space and connections. Without this flexible brainstorming space, Scrivener is still incomplete.

But, instead of recreating scapple, I think allowing for a more flexible corkboard view (reduce cards to just title - they have color already), add non-hierarchical functionality (allowing access to stacks of cards in same view ) and allowing note to note visual connections (maybe just use tags (maybe bookmarks - but only if they are less cumbersome to create, I still think tags offer more flexibity the types of connections etc.) to create links that could make them even more useful outside of this view) that would keep us in a scrivener focused world while allowing us to move things around more creatively (we need a revert button though ;>). And it wouldn’t require us to “recreate” our content (and every change in a Scapple-Scrivener.

I’m just dipping my toe into the depths of Scrivener and Scapple, so I am finding features in both programs that are bringing them closer together.

The Project Bookmark feature that shows a preview of a Scapple board is great for linking out of Scrivener, while being able to link from Scapple to individual Scrivener items is fantastic also.

In an ideal situation though, I would love to see slightly more integration, with the option to open a Scapple board in a pane within Scrivener, instead of just seeing a preview.
This way any Scapple links to Scrivener items I created could open in a split pane alongside Scapple, just as though I were working between a corkboard or outliner and an editor.
Also, I could then envisage being able to drag items from the binder onto Scapple items to create links, just as happens within Scapple now.

I don’t think I would need more integration than the linking ability which is already available at present (apart from the added drag and drop features I mentioned).

Somebody asked how working on Scapple from within Scrivener is different from opening it as a link in a Bookmark?
I think the ability to have Scapple within Scrivener split panes would be exactly the same argument for why there is the ability to split between the Outliner or Corkboard and Editors in Scrivener at present.

I think there’s a huge difference between linking back and forth between separate program windows, and having the ability to click on links within Scapple and have them open a Scrivener item in a pane alongside.

I love the two programs, and think they both fulfil their own specific uses remarkably well, offering solutions to two different parts of the same writing process. Now that I am learning about linking Scrivener and Scapple items together, it would seem elegant to have the option of being able to work on Scapple from within Scrivener.

Many thanks,
Ian