Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 28, version 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 (64-bit) | 220.127.116.11 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 28. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta expires end of November 2019. New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The fixes and changes from Beta 27 to Beta 28 are listed below.
- First Draft of Scrivener for Windows 3.0 Manual. See Help Menu
- Compile - Added support for end of page footnotes and other footnote options
- Blank projects have 0 margin page settings 
- Compile - Default paper size ignored in compile formats 
- Crash when Applying Styles to Notes Text 
- Compile - Section Layouts - use of styles within this pane should reference the Format st... 
- Compile - Edit Format Test does nothing 
- Compile - Styles - Removing style in Section Layouts should retain formatting 
- Fix the Bookmarks Preview area background for External Links 
- Compile - ePub footnotes will cause an error in contents.xhtml 
- Statusbar text zoom is not correct upon startup when using a non-100% zoom in Options 
- Right-clicking a link will not select the first character of the link 
- Default text zoom affecting existing editors 
- Selecting a custom predefined comment color inside the Inspector is not remembered 
- Compile - Margins affect header/footer in PDF and print 
- Compile - Layouts - prefix and suffix have style access 
- ScratchPad improvements 
- Compile - HTML compiled files do not close properly the <meta> tag 
- Compile - Styles - assignments made within the format are lost immediately 
- Compile - Styles - Section Layout text disappears when style removed 
- Add the ability to import legacy file names into the Name Generator 
- Compile - Remove epub:type="reader-start-page" from the ePub contents.xhtml 
- Compile - Web Page file type inserts epub namespace 
- Compile - "Add indent per outline level" Transformations compile option is nonfunctional 
- Compile - format "Manuscript (Times)" does not compile using "Times New Roman" 
- Add "Retry" button upon detecting a no longer existing project 
- Scrivener changes font on opening. 
- Compile - always uses global override font 
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Nov 6th 2019