Current: Beta - Release Candidate 19, version 126.96.36.199
Latest Beta - Release Candidate 19 Download Link
188.8.131.52 (64-bit) | 184.108.40.206 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
- Facing Pages does not work properly 
- Compile - Page Settings - "first pages" settings produce incorrect results 
- Remove Fountain-specific option from Final Draft compile options 
- Compile - PDF page numbering not following settings 
- ODT compile does not include header or footer 
- Compile replacements limited in compiled document 
- Page count placeholders blank in first pages if "count first pages" not selected 
- Disable header/footer first page options when not applicable 
- UI: Different header/footer on first pages 
- Regular expression replacements treat backslashes as literals 
- Update Tutorial for Scrivener for windows 3 
- Compile - FDX "page numbers count first pages" should be separate from other formats 
- Styles are not functionally handled by the compiler with layout overrides in use 
- Include binder and inspector width in project templates 
- Ebook Compile loses images in initial body.xhtml and with invalid names 
- Ebook compile loses text color and highlights 
- The <$BLANK_PAGE> feature adds two blank pages 
- Custom separators should center using left-most indent when not set to ignore 
- Document suffix takes character formatting from preceding text 
- View > Text Editing > Typewriter Scrolling shortcut does not work in the main window 
- Document suffix should not be indented 
- Parse fonts inside "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts" 
Beta Release Candidate 19 expires 20th March 2021.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Feb 27th 2021