Before proceeding, please see the general notes about the Windows 3.0 beta and reporting bugs in the first reply to this thread. Please do not download the current beta or post reports until you have read that information.
Current: Beta 34, version 18.104.22.168
22.214.171.124 (64-bit) | 126.96.36.199 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing Beta 34. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
This beta expires end of Jan 20th 2020. New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
The fixes and changes from Beta 33 to Beta 34 are listed below.
- Placeholders not handled if placed in Section Layout > Title Options 
- Project Search not returning correct metadata results 
- Text disappears after Project Replace and changes not saved 
- Copy/Paste of an image with character style will leave a markup tag at the end of the pasted text 
- Character styles terminating before newline consume sequential newlines 
- Move Left/Right should indent list items 
- Compile settings lost when editing duplicate format for MMD-ODT 
- Case-sensitive flag for replacements has no effect 
- Quick Search and results UI further improvements 
- Updates to Manual
- Style assignments made to Section Layouts are not cross-platform compatible 
- Collapsed inspector pane enlarged after project reopened 
- Typo in Project Settings Background Images default background 
- Mouse Zoom doesn't work in Quick Reference Window 
- Adjustments to expansion/collapse in binder outliner 
- Fix <$BLANK_PAGE> placeholder in RTF/DOC/DOCX/PDF 
- Change .bak to -bak for automatic backups 
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Jan 14th 2020