Beta for the brave?

I enjoy using the Beta version so much that I always feel depressed when I have to revert back to the old Scrivener 1.9.7 :wink:

Actually I am really tempted to use the Beta for some real work right now. Of course I know about all the risks associated with this, but if these two assumptions were met, I would give it a try:

• will there always be a Beta version available up to the point of the official release?
  • will the file format be stable, so that all projects created now will also work with the official release?

There are no certainties besides death and taxes. I recommend export the actual documents created under the beta and take a screenshot of your binder layout.

The “file format” (it is not really a file but a structured folder with files) is predetermined by the release of v3 for Mac. If it does change all the Mac guys are fubar.

As to the beta availability that’s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.

[quote="Jaysen"As to the beta availability that’s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.[/quote]
I’ve done a search. Several in fact. Can’t find what you’re talking about, so could you point me in the right direction?

[quote=“jandrewnelson”]

[quote="Jaysen"As to the beta availability that’s been addressed in a different thread. L&L Windows division will release betas with extended expiry. Do a search and you should find that.[/quote]

[quote=“jandrewnelson”]

[quote="jandrewnelson"I’ve done a search. Several in fact. Can’t find what you’re talking about, so could you point me in the right direction?[/quote]
My guess is that this is the post Jaysen is referring to (where it states they will be releasing new betas as the expiration date of each beta comes due):

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-3-0-beta-release-candidate-10-download-links-change-list/38228/1]

Thanks for the help!

Instead of all this swtiching-back-and-forth between old Scrivener and the beta, I’d just as soon toss $100 to L&L to keep my beta up and going. I’m willing to take the risk. They make a few extra bucks and I don’t have to eat up time switching versions.

Again, thanks for the help!

via the post “Purchase or Beta extension?” 2 days ago [url][NB] Purchase or Beta extension? - #3 by MimeticMouton]:

Lit ‘n’ Lat have never failed to put out a new Beta when the current one’s time is up. :slight_smile:

New Beta is available now. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty sweet, too. (Although to be fair I haven’t had much time to do anything other than bake goodies.)

I make mine your words.

Although the freshly bought 1.9.7, I have been brave and used the Beta. Always with external backups, even because I like to write using markdown, so it’s easy to make TXT backups at any time.

For production…I wouldn’t without backups. I’m playing with 2.02 and there is still some wonky stuff going on with things like spell checking and corkboard issues, so I’d quote C3pO here and say, “It’s not entirely stable”. heh.