full screen without full-screen-mode

I like scrivener’s full screen mode. Sometimes, however, this combination is more convenient:

• Isolator as a black backdrop (unlike the backdrop app, it did not crash so far)

• if you still hate the menu bar try MenuShade to shade out the menu bar

• checking “Hide Others” (command-alt-h)

Now you have the standard window where you can see and expand your documents.
Enjoy (thanks to lifehacker.com) !

Don’t forget Spirited Away which automatically hides background applications after a time period you specify. I use it with MenuShade to keep my desktop nice and tidy.

I recently discovered PresentYourApps, which removes your menubar + dock for selected applications.

I like MegaZoomer which takes any window/folder and makes it full screen with just command + enter.

MegaZoomer is great, but you don’t need it for Scrivener - just hit Cmd-Ctrl-= (that’s the Command, Control and equals keys simultaneously) to zoom the window to fit your screen, regardless of whether it needs to be made smaller or larger.

I didn’t know about that shortcut but Megazoomer doesn’t just embiggen the window it hides the dock and menubar too.

True, but I always have my dock set to autohide, and I don’t mind having the menubar visible :slight_smile:

I use another option to keep my working surface (i.e., not the desktop, which I never have used for anything) clean:

Using DragThing–as indispensable as Scrivener!–tick off ‘Hide other applications when switching’ in the General Preferences tab. As this can be easily toggled with a customizable hotkey combination, you can have the best of all worlds. I use Screenshot Helper to hide the desktop.

\Of course, using DragThing in this way does rule out floating windows, etc., but it is seamless otherwise.

LV