Scrivener 2.9 (WINE-related)

bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43841

Sounds like there’s a bug, as well, for which installing speechsdk solves. There’s a patch for it, so it might work out of the box with wine-staging. (I find wine-staging to be better for a lot of the other things I use. )

Is version 3 64-bit only?

Not yet…it’s 32-bit, but I think they’re talking about making it 64-bit?

Then I could try installing it on my main computer, which is still 32 bit only. On a scale of 1-10, how stable is it? Have they gotten compile operational yet?

Honestly, I haven’t had time to poke at it that much. What little I’ve used it has been stable, but I haven’t tried to compile anything. Projects aren’t backwards compatible with 1.9.7, so there’s that consideration, as well. (you’d have to export work from 2.9 and import into 1.9.) Standard caveats about using a beta apply. :slight_smile:

@garpu: regarding the additional things that need to be installed (speechsdk, allfonts), do you know of a way to do that in PlayOnLinux? I’ve used wine/winetricks on the command line and can do it that way if need be, but POL makes it easier for me to keep things organized.

I’ve never used PlayOnLinux. playonlinux.com/en/topic-78 … elper.html Looks like it has its own function to do something similar?

64-bit of the new beta works for me, and it’s pretty slick. :smiley: It doesn’t exit cleanly at the end, so “killall Scrivener.exe.”

On second thought, I think it may be a bug with the backup. Either way, keep in mind it may be odd with the automated backup. Manual backups work OK.

Just installed latest (2.9.0.2) with straight 64bit wine. The app started and “runs” just fine, even without ‘allfonts’ and speechsdk.

It is a buggy mess still under wine with things as basic as corkboard draw problems (either freeform or standard). The spellchecker feels like something from the 70’s.

Right now I’m not seeing any good reason to upgrade from my linux beta, as it still works just fine, and the feature changes and interface updates just aren’t jazzing me at all at this point.

Good to know. We should update the wineappdb page. I haven’t had time to do so.

There are no entries for the beta. Sent a message to one of the maintainers.

Which I received. If you submit test data, I’d be happy to approve it. My version of WINE is too old, and I’m not going to have time to recompile a new version today. :slight_smile:

I added some new test data for 2.9.0.2 on a newly-compiled WINE 3.0. Feel free to add more. James or I would be happy to approve it.

Hi !

This is the first time I use Wine…
I think something is wrong because Scrivener 2.9 quits just after the splash page.
Here is thelog error

All my GreAT thnx!
backtrace.txt (20.6 KB)

I would upgrade WINE. 2.0 is waaaaay too old to run much anymore. 3.0 was just released. WINE is one of those programs that you really do want to be using the most recent development build because they’re constantly fixing bugs.

Ok, thank you!
The fact is I can’t install Wine 3.0, I don’t know why… I have to wait it will be available throuh AppCenter (Ubuntu) to install it automatically…

So frusted :slight_smile:

Anyway, it could be so helpful is you could post here a step-by-step install of Scrivener through Wine 3 :slight_smile:
Thank you so much !

Download the installer. If you’re using the 64-bit one, be sure to have a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. If I were in my home directory, the path would be /home/garpu/.winescriv, but it doesn’t need to be “winescriv.” In the same directory as where the installer is, on command line do: “WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/your/home/.winescriv wine64 Scrivener-installer.exe” If you’re using the 32-bit one, be sure to do “WINEARCH=win32 …” instead. The installer should run, and you can click through default options.

winetricks can install some nifty optional things like windows-related fonts. You used to need speechsdk to get it to run, but I don’t think it’s needed anymore. (text-to-speech doesn’t work in 64-bit, but I haven’t tried 32-bit.)

One thing I’d recommend is backing up your preference file, once you’re using Scrivener and have things set up the way you’d like. (File-Options-Manage button on the lower left, then “Save Preferences.”) Between betas they want you to do a clean install of Scrivener, which wipes out your preferences.

Here I am again… with a great news! It works like a charm under Wine 3.0
Now, I’d like to know if we’d change the layout… to get something less Windows-way ? :slight_smile:

Thank you very much again!

Yay! Wine 3.0 is a big improvement. If you’re at all interested in gaming, check out the wine-staging branch, once it’s back up and running with the 3.0 tree.

I haven’t had much luck with themes and WINE. If you find something interesting, by all means share. :slight_smile: