currently reading

I continue wandering down memory lane. This week’s selection: Under the Greenwood Tree, by Thomas Hardy.

Susan Sontag’s On Photography, which I failed to appreciate first time through, thirty years ago or so. Perhaps that’s because it was, at the time, on the edge of camera technology; but as it’s now behind – having no mention of digital photography – I’m forced to deal with her sense of images, of their place in our world (not always welcome, but inescapable) and our lives. Forcing me to rethink not only the pictures I take but the words I write as well.

PS

Halfway through Taunting the Dead by Mel Sharratt. It’s a dead good read, pardon the utterly unforgiveable pun.

I finished “Nordic Gods and Heros” by Padraig Colum a couple of weeks ago.

Now I’m reading “World War Z” by Max Brooks.

Started reading Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde again…I have tried reading it couple of times before but had lost interest after initial few pages. But people keep raving about it so here I am trying to read this classic again.

Just about to start rereading The Unfortunate Fursey, Mervyn Wall’s comedy classic about an early mediaeval Irish monk haunted by demons, which has just been issued on Kindle. Very funny when I read it before.

I’m reading a lot of Star Wars novels lately. Currently reading Star Wars: Rogue Planet

They are all pretty good novels, even if you aren’t that big into Star Wars.

Been on a Mark Twain kick lately. Currently reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court; before that, I just finished The Prince and the Pauper. Right before that, I bought and read my first indie novel, The Boy in the Window by Ditter Kellen.

This might be the only time I’ve read 3 American novels in a row since my college/university days. I find British literature much more enjoyable overall. More wit, less despairing. Not necessarily less cynical, but American literature, even (read: especially) the classics, seem to love ending with a cry of “woe is me, the world is hopeless”. British literature, even when cynical, tends have a message of “shrug and just keep moving - and laugh at it if you can.”

Hi everyone! Newbie here :smiley:
I’ve finished The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie recently. Yes, I’m a big fan of fantasy :smiley:
The trilogy I mentioned is just gorgeous. I liked the second part most of all (it’s called Before They Are Hanged). Strongly recommend to those who love dark fantasy as I do

Welcome! :smiley:

At the moment I’m in a “pulpy” mood, so I’m re-reading The Right Hand of Doom, a collection of “Solomon Kane” stories by Robert E. Howard. After that I’m probably going to re-read Stephen King’s Misery because I want to read about writing and that’s the best fictional example I can think of offhand.

Brandon Mull
Dan Brown

I’m currently reading His Bloody Project: Documents relating to the case of Roderick Macrae, by Graeme Macrae Burnet. It’s very good, so far.

This is little bit weird but I have been leafing thru Oscar Wilde; 100 quotes by Oscar Wilde :smiley:

Otherwise Im between waiting and reading. Waiting for new books from writers I like to read and reading their older works. Whats taking them so long!?? :unamused:

My next book probably is Samuel Pepys Diary . Oh, and hes dead, so hes not included those writers whom Im waiting new releases :smiley: just to be clear :wink:

Imajica, by Clive Barker and The Dreaming Void by Peter F. Hamilton

Started Borges’ The Aleph and Other Stories - excellent.

Despite the fact that fantasy is one of my favorite literary genres, I am only now reading the cycle of books, The Chronicles of Amber. Very interesting books, like others by writing Roger Zelazny

I have a particular fondness for apocalyptic fiction, so when I spotted Tomorrow! by Philip Wylie on a doom-themed list, I checked it out. Both the novel and the author were unfamiliar to me.

Despite being written back in '54, when the Cold War was quite a different beast, the book has aged well. It tells the story of two “twin cities” on opposite banks of a river in the heart of the US. One is prepping heavily for atomic doom, the other is not. How these cities and their residents cope with the inevitable is just as relevant today as it was during that era. Complacency is deadly.

My first book reading of a well-known author:

A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follet

the psychoanalyst

I recently devoured Robin Sloan’s Mr. Penumbra’s 24-hour bookstore (2012), which has everything: love story, Dan Brown-ish angles, endearing characters, mystery, technology, whodunnit…

Also, John Banville, The Sea (2005). Masterfully told story about an innocent childhood seen from old age, which turns out to have been not so innocent.

And, to be on topic, currently reading Midwinter Break by Bernard McLaverty. A happy old couple go on a city trip to Amsterdam. They’re not so happy, though.