Scrivener 1.12 beta 1 now available for testing

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm Post

Hmm, I think there must be something wrong with your machine or project, actually. I just booted into Tiger and the Help menu is fine (i.e. there is only one Help menu) and also the keyword searched fine, as it should. I tried this in 10.4.10 and then updated to 10.4.11 and tried in that - both fine.

To me, it sounds as though something funky is happening when you launch Scrivener - could you check the Console to see if there are any errors, please?

Thanks,
Keith

br
bradford653

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:30 am Post

KB wrote:To me, it sounds as though something funky is happening when you launch Scrivener - could you check the Console to see if there are any errors, please?

Nothing comes up in the console upon launch or executing search. Also, one thing I failed to mention is that when I launch the beta, I get an error message entitled "eSellerate installed failed," but I assume that with the beta, there's no license management, so this makes sense.

When I grep the console logs for historical information, I get entries that look like this:
2008-01-07 00:59:11.129 Scrivener[1627] passed-in style: Alignment 4, LineSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacingBefore 12, HeadIndent 36, TailIndent 468, FirstLineHeadIndent 36, LineHeight 0/0, LineHeightMultiple 0, LineBreakMode 0, Tabs (), DefaultTabInterval 0, Blocks (null), Lists (null), BaseWritingDirection -1, HyphenationFactor 0, TighteningFactor 0.05, HeaderLevel 0, saved style: Alignment 4, LineSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacing 0, ParagraphSpacingBefore 24, HeadIndent 36, TailIndent 468, FirstLineHeadIndent 36, LineHeight 0/0, LineHeightMultiple 0, LineBreakMode 0, Tabs (), DefaultTabInterval 0, Blocks (null), Lists (null), BaseWritingDirection -1, HyphenationFactor 0, TighteningFactor 0.05, HeaderLevel 0, isEqual: 0

But nothing else.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:18 pm Post

That console message was just some debugging code I left in 1.11 by mistake and nothing to worry about.

The eSellerate install should work in the beta - nothing has changed at all there. This indicates, in fact, that there is a problem with your system. You need to repair the permissions on your system and then try reinstalling.

All the best,
Keith

br
bradford653

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:46 pm Post

KB wrote:The eSellerate install should work in the beta - nothing has changed at all there. This indicates, in fact, that there is a problem with your system. You need to repair the permissions on your system and then try reinstalling.

Doing a repair permissions changed nothing. BTW, when I launch 1.11 I don't get the esellerate dialog, nor do I get the double 'Help' menus, but 'search' from the keywords hud still behaves inappropriately just as the beta is behaving for me.

Not sure what the difference between our systems might be. I'm a developer, so there may be a boatload of kruft on my box, but the 'Help' issue seems like a nib problem more than anything else. I've deleted and reinstalled the beta to the same results.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:24 pm Post

There's no .nib problem - I've seen the double Help thing in the past when there has been a general error, though. Like I say, the beta runs fine on both 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 for me. You can check the .nib file yourself, of course, by ctrl-clicking on the Scrivener file and drilling down to MainMenu.nib in English.lproj (I assume you have the developer tools installed).

I'm really hoping that other Tiger users will post here to report whether they have had similar problems.

This thread elsewhere suggests the error message you are receiving about eSellerate may be causing the double Help menu.

The eSellerate install itself, however, hasn't changed - and is generated from eSellerate code. There is nothing different here between 1.11 and 1.12, like I say, so I have no idea why there would be any different behaviour here. If you e-mail me at support @ literatureandlatte dot com, I can send you a file that should fix the eSellerate install, though.

Best,
Keith

ka
karen

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 pm Post

Hi -
I am new to the forums, but have been using Scrivener since last summer.

I am using the new beta on Tiger and have not had any problems. Selecting a keyword from the hud and using search works great and the Help Menu is fine.

Just wanted to let you know -
Karen

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:06 pm Post

Thanks Karen - that is good and useful to know (and welcome to the forums!).
Best,
Keith

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:14 pm Post

Further confirmation. I have tested 12b on two Tiger machines and have not seen the double-help problem.

I did come across this one which happens on both Tiger and Leopard.
  1. Close all projects and quit Scrivener so that re-open will show splash screen.
  2. Click create new project
  3. (Optional, select a template. Lack of templates causing this step to not appear does not impact bug)
  4. Type in a name
  5. Click choose to select a location and click "open"

Splash screen should pop-up at this point, obscuring the new project wizard, which still needs one more step to complete, clicking "Create".
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:22 pm Post

Thanks Amber - I knew the code that opens the splash screen would have some holes in it. Currently it listens for a window closing and, when it detects this, it checks to see if there is an active project; if not, it opens the start panel. The logic fails here, as it opens the panel - because there is no project - when really it shouldn't. I need to rethink the logic. That is exactly the sort of problem I was looking for.
Thanks!
Keith

JR
JRP

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:34 am Post

Afraid I agree with David. I find the opening panel annoying and much preferred being able to either just go up to the menu bar and select recent projects or set the default to open the last project worked on upon launch. But with the new intro window, it appears even if the last project worked on is set as default; it just lurks, ready to pounce if you x out of that project. Please, oh please, at least give me the option to turn the opening panel feature off. :( (And, Keith, I've never begged before on this forum. :cry:)

pe
petergallagher

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:09 am Post

Keith,

I'm not sure if this is the Beta or not; but I can't get the preference for 'Default Main Text Attributes' to stick. I've chosen a style with font and line spacing that I would like to have as a 'default' style (in the Style drop-down at the head of an editor page showing the ruler). The font 'sticks' OK but not the spacing (it reverts, annoyingly, to 'single' every time).

As far as I can tell the other attributes (ruler, weight, colour etc.) work as advertised when set in the Preferences dialog.

Just me?
---

Peter

Ja
James23

Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 am Post

As predicted, Tiger inconsistencies with project search populating local search appear to be fixed. Yay!

db
dberreby

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:30 pm Post

[quote="KB"]Thanks Karen - that is good and useful to know (and welcome to the forums!).
Best,
Keith[/quote]

Just to let you know, then: I'm running 1.12 beta on OS X 10.4.11, no problems with help or anything else.

Cheers,
David

br
bradford653

Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:32 pm Post

So I ran ObjectAlloc (among other tools) on the Scrivener beta to try to get a better of what is going on, and noticed that when you click the 'Search' button on the Keywords HUD, it passes an Array as its message to the search field on the main window.

I don't know if this is causing the problem that I'm seeing... I assume that's not the case, but it does make for some weird behavior if you've multi-selected items in the Keywords HUD. Each selected item is passed as individual elements of an array, and the search field gets a line of text for each item, making for an ugly redraw and possibly unexpected results if I could even get it to work.

Also, I noticed that the Keywords HUD and Scratchpad windows still have the .scriv extension at the end of the filename. I'm not sure if there are other places with the same behavior. Since you mentioned having removed the extension from the main window, I figured you'd want to do it everywhere.

Lord Lightning

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:07 am Post

Using Tiger 10.4.11

Booted Scrivener 1.12b1 - it crashed.

Console pointed to menu issues.

Oh! of course I had 1.11 up.

Quit 1.11

Did a fresh boot of 1.12b1.

Smooth as silk.

As others report, it all seems OK.

Thanks for taking this amazing app even further Keith.

Indeed, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

:)
Lord Lightning

I'm a writer. I create worlds!
When I make a declarative statement it applies to ME. Not to everyone.