Search in Synopses

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:19 pm Post

Within the Tutorial in the 'Going Further' chapter in the 'Searching' document is this paragraph:

Other Find Tools
Other find tools can be found in the Edit > Find menu, such as Find by Formatting, which allows you to search the text for particular formatting (e.g. italics) and Search in Synopses, which provides an easy way of searching through all synopses in the project.

I cannot find the 'Search in Synopses' option in the Edit > Find menu structure. I thought it might only be added to the find menu if I started from a Synopses, so I tried placing my cursor in a Synopsis as if I were going to edit it, and then selecting Edit > Find, but still have no 'Search in Synopses' option.

I'm trying to go through all of the tutorial documents as if I had never used Scrivener 2 and USE each of the tools described at least once, but I cannot seem to access this tool and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Bridey
Platform: Mac

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 pm Post

Click on the magnifying glass, then select the options you want.

Search.jpg
Search.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 868 times

pk
pking36330
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm Post

Bridey wrote:Click on the magnifying glass, then select the options you want.

I'm glad you showed me that. I think I already came across that in another tutorial document but didn't notice specifically the 'Synopsis' option.

But back to my originally query, is 'Search in Synopses' an option in the Edit > Find menu structure like the tutorial says, or did it get removed prior to v3 release, or do you have to perform some specific action to get it to show up in the Edit > Find menu?

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 am Post

I can't find it, either, and you're right, it does show up in the Tutorial.

Have you tried Quick Search from the toolbar? I like it better than the old Search in Synopses button that used to be in the toolbar, though of course YMMV. It looks for your text in your files and titles as well, not just the synopses, and returns a categorised list. Example:
Screenshot 2017-11-28 16.46.54.png
Screenshot 2017-11-28 16.46.54.png (51.85 KiB) Viewed 830 times

Since it displays title results, synopses results, and main text results in that order, I find it very useful, especially when I'm having one of those Senior Moments (tm) and I'm pretty sure I used the term in a synopsis, but I might be mistaken... :)
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I write fiction.
  • I'm not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.4, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2; iPhone 8+, iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 13.2.3