NiaD 7: The Magnificent NiaD

Woke up “early” to get my hands on the completed works after the late night yesterday. Yay! Thanks pigfender!!

Reading the three and laughing like a drain - great work, lads!

Read the novel this morning. It was amazing to see how the story played out. Now I feel I should have upped the fx budget :smiley:

Would you do it again (if you’re let)?

How would you tackle it next time - what did you do wrong and right?

Me: not POOEE enough, I failed to escalate sufficiently; didn’t leave time for editing: note to self - put it in the calendar so nothing else is scheduled for the day; keep it to 1,500 words, tight and fast and escalating and fun and in-the-genre.

Thank You Rog and everyone on this forum for this wonderful experience ! I loved every bit of it.
I had the whole novel already completed in my head, so it’s going to be real fun to read how it turned out instead.

P.s. Thanks for the playlist !

Not leave a bulk of it until 5 hours before deadline!

I’d like to express my appreciation to Rog and this community for the fantastic exercise that is NiaD. I consider this a perfect lead-in to NaNoWriMo and a great training experience. See you all next year!

Big thanks Rog for spearheading this whole adventure. Also to any others who may have jumped in to help without our knowledge. Thanks also to all of you who made this forum some much fun again this year. I can’t wait till next year to freak out, calm down(a little), and then do it all over again.

Thanks to all for the kind words! :slight_smile:

I’ve now uploaded the updated forum badges…!

Look at me! All shiny new NiaD badge and everything!

Me too :smiley:

I can’t badge up yet. My cup is still on fire. :frowning:

Update: :slight_smile:

As in recent years, I have prepared for your delectation a(n unofficial) Bespoke Edition of this year’s NiaD.

http://gbrish.net/niadweb/2017

For those unfamiliar, this is a web version of the book which contains every version of every chapter and lets you navigate through the book following the chapter versions of your choice.

-gr

p.s. It does take a bit of text manipulation to set this up, so I hope I didn’t garble anyone’s chapter in the process. Feel free to drop me a note if I gummed something up.

Thanks for doing this, gr!

I note that you’ve taken the copyright notice from 3Ghosts, though, instead of SWP.
One does try to update them to be book appropriate. :smiley:

Ha. The change in humor had escaped one’s notice.

This is now fixed.

I would like to add my voice the rowdy chorus of Thanks Yous to Rog for another bout of productive insanity. NiaD is truly one of the best things that happens all year!

And kudos on this year’s book title – which I think breaks new ground in the annals of NiaD. Things could go anywhere from here!

I am pretty stoked about the role that my last paragraph plays in my version of the book.

-gr

BEST UNINTENDED SEGUE?:

I haven’t yet looked at everything, but could this be the best unintended segue in the book (bloodbath spoiler alert):

At the end of the chapter before mine, the chapter author opted to have a certain character, without warning, start slicing people’s heads of with remarkable ease. Then, at the beginning of my chapter, the scene continues (written in all innocence of the foregoing) with that character saying, “Finally, some privacy!” :smiling_imp:

-gr

P.S. Now that my brain has cooled down, what a golden opportunity to introduce a new persona named ‘Jaysen’. How did I miss that? What was I thinking?! Surely someone else did the dirty work. Haven’t spotted it though.

Where did I miss me getting pulled into the story?!?

My point exactly!