IOS 11, Scrivener 1.1.2, Find/Replace crash

Hi,

I’ve been replacing some placeholder names one at a time, and that has included a lot of Find/Replace. There’s been a change with the new iOS and new Scrivener version.

With iOS 10 and the previous version of Scrivener (1.1? 1.1.1?), once I hit replace on the last occurrance in a file, it stopped with a popup.

With iOS 11 and 1.1.2, once out of replace candidates, it crashes back to the home screen. Wraparound if there is a candidate earlier than the first replacement works fine, it looks like it’s limited to attempting to replace after everything is replaced. I was also able to reproduce it with find and changing all occurances of the found text manually.

(Tested on iPad Pro 2, 12.9”)

I have a similar problem now I have updated to iOS11 (though I can’t be sure that I carried out the same action on iOS10). If I search for a word/ phrase which is in my project, that is fine. If I search for a term not there (and I have tested this with words I know are not present) the app crashes. Interesting this only happens with projects created on my Mac and synced via Dropbox. With the Tutorial and a small test project I set up on my iPad, the app simply notifies me that the search term was not found.

The latest version of Scrivener for iOS is 1.1.3. You should update to that first and make sure it doesn’t happen there. There were two replacement related crashes fixed recently.

Scrivener settings in Settings is showing 1.1.2, but the App Store updates page says I’m up to date with 1.1.3.

Reproduce:
Create new project on iOS Scrivener (I did Dropbox, not sure it matters)
Open project
In starting document, put something like:
“Asdf qq uiop qq”
Find/Replace “qq”, put “zz” in replace box.
Hit “replace” 3-4 times, crash.

(Note: found a similar issue w/manual replacement from just find, and cmd-G to find next once all are replaced.)

Later, I will delete Scrivener and redownload to make sure it’s not an issue with apps updating correctly.

Don’t worry about deleting and installing again, we forgot to update the metadata for the internal version number so it will be printing the old number.

I’m not having luck reproducing this, but wonder if maybe it has to do with the keyboard (or iPad maybe)? I was just tapping the Replace button over and over on an iPhone, and with Find tapping the “Next” button over and over. When I ran out of matches I got a message not a crash.

You’re right, possibly iPad or keyboard specific. Checking on my phone, I get the expected “no occurences of ‘qq’ found” message.

I’m reproducing on an iPad Pro 2 w/Logitech Slim Combo case external (smart connector, not bluetooth) keyboard.

Okay that might explain why I’ve been having troubles seeing it. I haven’t yet updated the iPad to 11, just the phone, and it doesn’t seem to crash on the iPad in any configuration with iOS 10, as you already noted. And we do have one other report of this in tech support as well, with the same exactly specifics: iPad + iOS 11 + latest version of Scrivener. So I think that should be enough to find it. Thanks!

Thanks for the reports. This was a tricky one, but I’ve managed to track down the cause and fix it for the next update. Basically there is a clash between the “no matches” alert and the text view trying to grab the focus at the same time that didn’t cause any problems on iOS 10 (the text view would just wait) but crashes on iOS 11. It took a while to find the cause because the crash wasn’t reporting any meaningful information.

I’ll get an update submitted to Apple either tomorrow or Monday so that the fix should be available by this time next week.

Sweet, thanks!

Hello, I was just wondering if the fix is not yet active or my iPad hasn’t found the newest version for some reason, as I’m currently seeing the error (iOS 11, also does not happen with the tutorial file).

I’d also love to know if there’s an updated ETA on the fix - this bug is driving me nuts!!

I’m having the same issue. iPad Pro, iOS 11, external keyboard. Apparently I’m up to date with Scrivener (at least the App Store thinks so).

Rob

Awww, man. I got all excited thinking I might’ve found a crash bug nobody else had. But OP beat me to it. :wink:

Glad you found the fix, KB.

Keep up the good work.

I just wanted to say that 1.1.4 does fix this for me. Thanks!