Scrivener for android

I also would like to have Scrivener on Android, though I am not sure if it has to have the complete set of functions I have on my desktop. I imagine using it on my tablet or phone to open a project, read what I have, make a modification, add to the cork board, etc. I do not imagine using it to compile a novel. So perhaps a set of capabilities that include only the editing capabilities would be what we need.

I guess the content would frequently be on cloud storage.

What I really would want is to have the ability to put Scrivener on the SD-Card so it does not take up precious system space. I would also want to see the ability to make a setting that tells Scrivener to put any non-cloud content on the SD-Card for the same reason.

Good work.

I think this is an important point. I use Scrivener on Windows and iOS, but I expect to do all my heavy lifting on Windows, iOS is more like a companion where I can add some character traits or write a scene or two when I can steal 30 minutes or an hour. I too have Android devices and would happily purchase a new license to do companion things on my phone or writing sessions on my tablet. I guess what I’m trying to say is keep the ambition at a reasonable level.

The plan is for the Android version to be much like the iOS version. The Windows version is built using the Qt frameworks, which can run on Android, and in fact I have seen a demo of the Windows version running on an Android tablet, but as you can imagine, it is nearly unusable with the Windows, click-based UI on a tablet! The Windows developer will be creating a new UI layer based on the iOS version (but redesigned for Android) for Android devices. At the moment, though, the Windows duo are putting all efforts into the next major version of Scrivener for Windows.

All the best,
Keith

1 Like

Information and update very much appreciated. Good to know that it is possible to port it. I think you’ll find a decent market for Scrivener on Android. And if Beta testing is required don’t hesitate to ask.

One useful note - an Android version can also run on most modern Chromebooks. This could give users an actual supported Scrivener on ChromeOS that doesn’t require going into developer mode.

Just a word of caution.

Android on Chromebooks is limited to a handful of models at present without going into Developer mode. If you’re going to pick one up check.

That said. If it is a model released in 2017 it will EVENTUALLY be capable if it is not currently.

With no timeline for Android Scrivener at present, the support on 2017 models may well be in place by the time Android Scrivener is released.

I wouldn’t pick up a used pre-2017 model with intent to run Scrivener unless it is one of the handful (one or two ASUS models I believe and Google device) that will be capable.

Edit, found this list of current and planned to support. sites.google.com/a/chromium.org … droid-apps

Any news or updates on a android version of Scrivener yet?

I mainly do all my writing on my laptop, however, it’s not always convenient to have it with me and I would like the ability to at least make notes/edit my current work.

Any info would be great

Not yet. A recent blog post has moved the release date for Scrivener for Windows 3.0 to August 30th, and that (plus the initial flurry of bugfixes that I imagine will follow) have to happen before we hear anything about a timeframe for a possible Android version.

1 Like

I used to use Scrivener all the time. I used to write and edit my writing all the time. Then my iPhone broke. I got a more reasonably priced Android. I have been able to do everything I did my expensive iPhone on this Samsung Galaxy 8, everything except write. I invested so much in Scrivener, to be able to access it (directly, not by first going on to my computer and sending myself a specified txt export) again would fix so much that is wrong.

Previous posts in thus thread give L&L position on Android. Given ongoing wait for the Windows version I wouldn’t expect an Android version any time.

Holding breath could be hazardous to health.

Surprised by the ‘expensive’ comment as S8 which now seems discontinued in our market is listed about same as iPhone 8 which is still available and higher performance.

I’ve been an avid Scrivener for Windows user since, well, since there WAS a Windows version.

I absolutely adore it, and would LOVE to have it on Android.

As someone who owns exactly zero apple products due to their expense, I would love to be able to use Scrivener on the go!

I’ve been keeping an eye out for an Android version ever since they released the iPhone app. I can only hope that it comes soon!

2020 now. It must be time for an Android version that I can use on my tablet. It seems to have been discussed for many years. When will it happen, if at all?

If you check this thread you will have your answer from Keith, the owner of L&L.

Unless something has changed (ie, not going to do Android), they will not begin work on Android until after the release of the Win version.

1. The Win version has not been released, though expected within a month.
  2. For some time after the release I’m guessing the Win team of 2 will likely be tied up responding to known and discovered bugs.

Don’t start getting excited yet.

Thanks for letting me know.

… and now, any news in 2021?

Jurgen Appelo (an influential writerj has been publicly researching writing tools, and has reduced from 75 to 5 through two rounds of testing. Scrivener is in that third round list. That’s a real achievement, as he doesn’t use Mac or iOS, so the strength of the windows version is what has sustained it. If you have any news at all about a release for Android, now would be a really good time.

1 Like

Thank you for the heads up.

We do not comment on future product plans. There is no Android version of Scrivener at this time.

There should be plans for an Android app. Here’s why:

• Thoughts and ideas are highly perishable.
  • Capturing those thoughts and ideas is critical to any creative endeavor.
  • Thoughts and ideas frequently occur when a computer is not available.
  • The best way to capture those thoughts and ideas is with a phone, and Scrivener is currently limited to Apple phones.

From the point of view of an Android user, lack of an app represents a significant drawback. Providing an Android app would significantly improve the user experience for Android users.

Thanks very much for your kind consideration!

1 Like

I’m a long-time lurker and I created an account just to respond to this. Literature & Latte has officially promised to begin work on the Android version after Scrivener 3 for Windows was released. This was posted in the blog on this site, on a Facebook thread, and I was told this directly from the Twitter Scrivener account. For at least two years, the Scrivener for Android version has been officially announced as a planned release for Android, so I’m confused. Perhaps you mean something different by “plans,” i.e., how the app will be designed?

We do indeed plan to release an Android version. That information is unchanged.

However, we have not announced a release date, or any further details, which was the specific question asked by the post to which I was responding.

1 Like

My android phone is getting old. I use Scrivener. I am considering going to Apple for my next phone, only because my phone is always with me and I would like to be able to make notes in Scrivener. But the move would be very disruptive in every other way.

Could you perhaps, without suggesting a release date, let us know if people are actually currently working on the Android development, or if it is merely still part of the plan.

The folks who created the Windows 3 version did a fantastic job. They deserve to live without the pressure of a deadline, for a while at least. Nonetheless, it helps others make decisions if knowledge of the situation is as public as possible, without creating problems for you.
Thanks, Shelly

1 Like