NiaD Episode VI: Return of the NiaD

I just sent it in.
Apologies for the appallingly beastly tardiness.

Mine went in late too. I had the countdown clock up and it kept adding time. I’m not sure what is going on, but it’s still counting down to something. :confused:

I set my language to UK English, but when I tested it all that it did was stop highlighting UK spellings; didn’t catch US spellings. :frowning: I don’t think I used any of the obvious ones anyway, which is a shame, but I did remember that they apparently use ‘amongst’ and ‘towards’ much more often in the UK and gleefully went with my instinct to use them over ‘among’ and ‘toward’. And after I’d carefully trained myself out of it!
I did forget they have different quotation rules, but I didn’t have that many quotations sooo. :stuck_out_tongue:

Almost there now - just a handful of chapters still to come in before I can start the magic of compile and upload.

How has everyone found it this year? Has it been fun?

It’s been brill. I’m a first timer and I loved it. Cannae wait to read it.

Huge thanks to Rog for the Herculean effort in getting th s off the ground.

Opening the brief was like unwrapping my first Tiny Tears Doll - Christmas Day 1979 give or take a year or two.

It’s been more than fun. I’ve grown and learned … I’ve identified things that I want to work on in my writing. I’ve also learned a great deal of strange facts about the afterlife that I now have to remember aren’t true. That a skilled Marley boasts a 60% conversion rate, but only about 5% last long-term — are statistics I’ll be quoting for a long time.

I had a great time. Thank you so may for handling the hard part. Although after reading some of the responses and the amount of work others did, I almost feel like I cheated. I had a heck of a time drafting my chapter, spent the entire night writing and rewriting, throwing my hands up in the air and saying “forget it. I don’t want to be a writer. This blows.”

So see you in October. :smiley:

40minutes!! You still on time?

Only if the remaining four chapters submit relatively soon!!!

Well, I’ve finally sent mine in. If I said I was happy with it that would be a big fat lie, but i’m never happy with anything I write until I’ve tinkered with it multiple times, and I didn’t get the chance with this one. I gave it my best shot and stuck to the brief, so at least there’s that.

Well done to everyone who took part - looking forward to reading everyone else’s work!

Done! I’m horribly late, but then I am every year, so at least I’m consistent.

By my count, the Pigster has another hour and a half. Doesn’t he get the same hour extra that the writers got at the get-go?

gr

P.S. Well, if we are all comparing word count sizes, mine came in at 3,333. Strange phenomena gobble up words like the word ‘cannibal’ does.

Sorry I’m one of the offenders… looking forward to reading it!!

Have loved the freedom of this one Piggy dear boy… it’s going to be really interesting reading how far everyone has ventured with it… Thank you for organising again, you are and continue to be a complete genius.

ps how do I get my little NIAD signature thingymewhatsits… I’d like to wear me medals!! xx

He should get the same hour! Justice for PF! Found mine easier to streamline this time… 1551… normally I spout such a load of shite…

Public apology to Piggy and all other contributors: Even though I signed up, and was very much looking forward to being a part of NIAD again, I failed to write a chapter.

I totally forgot today was Saturday until about a half hour ago. I know that sounds unbelievably stupid, how can you not know what day it is? But due to my mother’s illness, I’ve been off work since last fall and without the routine of work and deadlines, well, the days just blend together.

When I finally realized what day it was I thought I could still whip something out – Yes, in my panic I forgot about the five hour time difference.

Even though Piggy re-sent me my brief right away when I wrote him, and gallantly offered me an extended deadline, there’s just no way I can write something worth reading in an hour or so.

So… I screwed up majorly. Sorry to everyone, especially Piggy, for putting him to extra effort at the time when he must be swamped with editing and compiling duties. :frowning:

Not a problem, Beth. Sorry to hear you’ve had bit of bad luck, and best wishes for it all to fall into place soon. Hopefully see you for the main event in October! :slight_smile:

Great question.
You can edit your post signatures by going to your User Control Panel (via the little drop down button next to your user name at the top of the page) and then Profile followed by Edit Signature.
You can read about the links to enter here: viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28574&p=191541#p191541

Note, I won’t be uploading the badges for today’s event for a few days because: sleep.

Excuses excuses! You don’t need sleep!

Piggy… looks like you pulled off another successful NiaD! Congrats

I just got mine sent in. As I suspected, I had trouble figuring out what to write, not actually writing it once I figured it out.

I have some feedback on what parts I found painful, but I’m sure it says more about me than the process, so I’ll wait and ponder before sharing it (if ever).

Anyone looking for a new book to read?

HUGE thanks to everyone who took part this year! I had great fun! You can download the books, scrivener project and compile settings from this page:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=38591

Grateful for all feedback how it went. Comments on the event itself can go in this thread, and comments on the book / story can go in the book thread linked above. We also have a Feature Request thread for suggestions on other things to include or incorporate.